Galaxy S3 Ringtone Slider Random Pop-Up Problem

Okrangbelingbe

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks,

An annoying problem has started occurring on my Galxy S3 over the last couple of days.

Often when I am in the midst of using my phone (e.g composing a text message) the Ringtone Volume Control Slider pops up on the screen at random, sometimes accompanied by beeping sounds.

It is as if I have accidentally pressed the volume control button on the side but I definitely haven't!

Anyone else having or had this irritating problem and found a cure?

Many thanks!

John.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

If it happens frequently enough you can try booting into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242 and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't then some 3rd party app is causing your problem.

If it still happens then you probably have a hardware problem with the Volume rocker. In that case you could check out http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-volume-button-repair/ if you want to try to fix it yourself or you could contact them about doing the repair.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Okrangbelingbe

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you GSDer!
I shall try booting it in safe mode first and see what happens!

I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware problem.

If it is a 3rd party app causing the problem - how would I go about establishing which app is the culprit?

Best Regards,
John.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If it's a 3rd party application causing the problem you should already have an idea of what the various apps that you've installed do - I mean, you installed them for a particular reason, right?

Are there any apps that modify the sound profile?

At worst you could look through the permissions for each app to see if any have access to the system settings
esa8avyt.jpg
(Here's an example of the Permissions required for a keyboard app). You can find apps in the Google Play Store that will build a list of all of the permissions and let you review them in a more useful fashion.

Or you could just uninstall some apps and see if the problem goes away. Keep uninstalling until you identify the culprit.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Okrangbelingbe

May 20, 2014
Visit site
That's very helpful advice GSDer.
I strongly suspect the problem has been caused by a recent major update by the 'Map My Walk' App I have installed to keep track of my exercise regime. It has access to the sound profile as it provides audio feedback on distance covered, pace etc as the walk progresses.
I have uninstalled Map My Walk and so far the problem appears to have disappeared!
It will be a real shame if it is Map My Walk that is at fault because I really love that App!!
Thanks,
John.

Okrangbelingbe

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, the plot thickens!
Despite uninstalling Map My Walk - the problem has resurfaced. Booting in Safe Mode also did not solve the issue.
Am I right in deducing that this is therefore a hardware problem after all?

I have established that the volume rocker switch on the side of the phone will consistently work to lower the volume but does not work when trying to increase volume, except very erratically indeed when pressed repeatedly. When the volume slider graphic randomly pops-up on the screen it is always set at maximum volume but can be adjusted by sliding it on screen in the usual way!

I guess I shall just have to put the phone in for repair - it should still be under warranty!

Thanks,
John.