Replace Samsung emojis with Hangouts

scribe88

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello there.

Recently I updated my GS3 to 4.4.2, and with that came Samsung's emojis...and nevertheless, I hate them. I use Hangouts as my default messaging client, but just the other day after updating some applications the Hangouts emojis have been replaced with Samsungs. I've searched the web for a way to change back to Hangouts, but everything requires root.

So my question: is there a way to disable, or even replace the Samsung emojis with Hangouts without having root access?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that can be done.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
It can be done only with root access unfortunately.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Personally I like the Samsung emojis better then the Google ones but to each his own.

I think that other people will only see the Google emojis, unless they also have an updated Samsung device.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Personally I like the Samsung emojis better then the Google ones but to each his own.

I think that other people will only see the Google emojis, unless they also have an updated Samsung device.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
Or none at all if they're not on Kit Kat :(

alaskajoel

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Echoing what has already been said... The only way I know to change them is to replace the notocoloremoji.tff file in system/fonts with the clean Google equivalent...which requires root.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome.

The new free SwiftKey has a whole bunch of emoji'i (?)
They are almost identical to the new ones found in Tapatalk for the forums which I love. I prefer Tapatalk as they show you more on the screen at one time.

I don't use Hangouts so I am not sure if typing emoji on SwiftKey will transfer via Hangouts.

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.

The new free SwiftKey has a whole bunch of emoji'i (?)
They are almost identical to the new ones found in Tapatalk for the forums which I love. I prefer Tapatalk as they show you more on the screen at one time.

I don't use Hangouts so I am not sure if typing emoji on SwiftKey will transfer via Hangouts.

Here I go - Spencerdl knows I can't resist.

I only see letters and numbers, no emojis. 😒

Sent From Inside The TARDIS With My Galaxy S5

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't either

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

I only see letters and numbers, no emojis. ??????

Sent From Inside The TARDIS With My Galaxy S5

Did you find them. New edition. It was stated on the AC article/blog and in Play Store. Enter button.
The ones in the post above are Tapatalk, but they're mostly the same.
peseru5e.jpg

4u7ene4u.jpg

a7y9yba5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I understand. I could be crossing my wires here. Have you got the new SwiftKey keyboard. I don't know if emoji = emoticons, just the animation figures I was referring to.

Took a screenshot:

Attachments

• 1402753993460.jpg
    1402753993460.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 16

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Took a screenshot:

AHA. OK well there's a thing.

My first post used emoji from Tapatalk. The follow up today used the Swiftkey keyboard on Tapatalk.

I checked all three wotsits. The 2nd post Swiftkey emoji via Tapatalk appear correctly on the full website, on Tapatalk and on the Android Central app.
The first posts Tapatalk own emoji appear as numbers on the android central app as you showed, but still appear correctly on the full website and the Tapatalk app.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So if my 2nd posts swiftkey versions appear correctly its a Tapatalk thing, or it was either my 1st post was in a weak signal area (it was) and / or I edited it or clipped it to send later, where the clipboard doesn't save the emoji (I can't remember if I clipped the post and saved.)

We can try to remember to keep an eye on it to send feedback.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If I recall, SwiftKey will take the Emojis that are available in your device and doesn't replace or add its own Emoji by installing the keyboard. At least, that's what I got when Phil spoke with SwiftKey after the podcast on Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app