Galaxy S3 (GTI9300) Stuck At Boot - How to rescue data.

fwzdkedc

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads about this already and I've read the usual answers.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy S3, GT-I9300, o2 UK) is stuck at the "Samsung" boot screen. I know about Kies and I know how to get the phone into both recovery and download mode. I've tried the usual tricks of wiping the cache partition and all the battery removal/reinsert stuff, but nothing works.

I'm also lucky in that I'm on a contract with o2 so can get it fixed for free. However, I'd rather do it myself because I know the normal situation is they take your phone off you and it returns a few days later working fine but totally wiped. Yeah, I know I should back up every evening, but there's some stuff on there I can't really afford to lose that isn't backed up.

So, my questions -

1. I'm up to the point where I can reload the firmware using Kies, but I'm aware this often wipes the data. Is there any firmware that doesn't wipe data? If so, where do I get it? I'm aware for this option I'll have to use ODIN, which looks daunting but is probably simple enough.

2. I'm also aware from other threads that this is unlikely to work anyway. When I boot into recovery mode, there's the little Android guy on his back with a red ! coming out of his chest. It also says "E:failed to mount /efs (Invalid Argument)". Would I be right in saying this means it's buggered and I've lost everything anyway?

3. How is the data stored internally on the S3? For example, if it's on an internal SD card which can be accessed by dismantling the phone, I'm not against doing this if it means saving my data.

Any other hints or tips welcome and don't feel shy about saying "It's dead, you've lost your data", if that's the situation, so be it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You could contact a place that offers JTAG services (ex. http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/Unlocking/unlock/i900_boot_repair.htm) to find out if they can recover your data - it depends on what other partitions besides /efs won't mount.

Your data, along with the OS, apps, etc is stored on internal memory that's soldered to the mainboard - really no opportunity for removal.

You could try using Odin to reload the firmware, which you can find here - select your device in the drop-down list in the upper left corner, then mouse-over the region codes to find your country/carrier. There's usually a good probability of recovering your data if you use the same firmware version that was on the phone; unfortunately, the /efs partition is not one of the things that gets rewritten, and since it contains critical information (like the IMEI for your phone) I doubt that it's going to be that simple for you - I'd leave it to the professionals.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

fwzdkedc

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Problem is, I don't know which version of firmware is on there.

I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it back to o2.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
O2 will probably try a Factory Reset (wiping any data) and perhaps reloading the latest firmware, and then will tell you that you're getting a refurb (if you have insurance) or that they'll have to send it in for repair (if it's still under warranty).

I'd suggest that you try loading the latest firmware via Odin see what happens. If that doesn't work you could try using Kies, although I'm not sure if that works to reload firmware on the International model.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey