From Verizon unlocked to T-mobile ?

D Beats

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey so im buying an unlocked s3 from a friend, (idk the model number yet) He said its verizon and he uses sprint prepaid on it.

I want to use it for tmobile monthly 4g..is this possible?
What about boost mobile and metro? (I HAVE BOOST CURRENTLY)
What about straight talk for 30?

I been googling and people say Verizon phones are CDMA not GSM, so it cant be done..ANY HELP?
Please dont write paragraphs I just want straight forward answers lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To use it on Sprint prepaid, he would have had to flash it. If he reflashed it back to stock and gets the latest update from Verizon then it can be used on tmobile/metropcs , but 2g only. You won't get 3g/4g /4g-lte.

For boost, not sure, it would probably have to be flashed similar to what was done to get it on Sprint prepaid.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

D Beats

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
So the back of the phone is labeled verizon 4g LTE, Android 4.3, SCH-1535 ..SO how would i be able to use it for t-mob or boost at full 4g speed?

Steve Shelton

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It can not be used on T-Mobile or AT&T (Straight Talk) no matter what you do to it. Different hardware. I think Boost uses Sprint's network so you should be good there unless they have the IMEI blocked, like if the previous owner didn't pay his bill.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So the back of the phone is labeled verizon 4g LTE, Android 4.3, SCH-1535 ..SO how would i be able to use it for t-mob or boost at full 4g speed?

As I stated above, you would only get 2g on tmobile

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It can not be used on T-Mobile or AT&T (Straight Talk) no matter what you do to it. Different hardware. I think Boost uses Sprint's network so you should be good there unless they have the IMEI blocked, like if the previous owner didn't pay his bill.

This is incorrect. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy s3 with the latest update can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile, but at 2g speeds only. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy s3 has cdma, gsm and lte radios and is quad band gsm.

D Beats

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
This is incorrect. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy s3 with the latest update can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile, but at 2g speeds only. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy s3 has cdma, gsm and lte radios and is quad band gsm.

thanks alot, so if i want an s3 unlocked for t-mob / boost 4g it has to say t-mobile on it? what about iphone 4s another phone i might get

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
thanks alot, so if i want an s3 unlocked for t-mob / boost 4g it has to say t-mobile on it? what about iphone 4s another phone i might get

It depends on the variant. There are unlocked models that are not carrier specific. The Verizon s3 is unlocked with the latest update and would work on tmobile as well.

The iPhone 4S on Verizon i don't think can be used on T-Mobile, but the Verizon iPhone 5 and 5s can be used.

D Beats

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't recognize the imei because it isn't a boost or tmobile device. But if you put a Tmobile sim into a stock Verizon s3 with the latest update then it should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol