Factory Reset / Kies question

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there an advantage to using Kies to backup and re install all my apps / data after a factory reset? Will it save all my email account configs / settings / certificates? Will it save my system configurations and application preferences and play lists and etc?

I did a factory reset 6 or 8 months ago and I re-installed my apps through the play store and just downloaded my contacts again. This biggest pain was re-configuring all my settings, apps and widgets and etc. I'm guessing it took 2 hours to get functional with the basics and then probably another two hours spread out over the following weeks customizing and resetting application preferences as I used them. I was rewarded with lightning fast phone again and improved battery life but I'm wondering if Kies would make that process easier?

Non rooted vzw S3 user here. SCH-1535. Running 4.4.2. Phone is 1.5 years old and generally rocks. I don't have major issues. I just like the idea of starting fresh after a major update and a bunch of software being installed and uninstalled.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK Kies does not backup your app data - just the apps themselves.
It does backup SOME of your phone settings but not all of them.
It will backup SMS/MMS, call logs, contacts and music/pictures (that are stored in the internal memory).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Much. I already have pics, music and contacts backed up regularly through other means. I'll probably just just do it the manual way when I have a slow couple of days at work and I can do it bit by bit.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Just a follow up. Factory reset was a piece of cake. Once I logged back into Google, the play store essentially re downloaded and re-installed all my major apps. It took me an hour or so to get the security certificate and the vpn and email configured, but frankly speaking, everything else was easier and faster than I remembered.
As long as you are backing up your contacts and media, I fail to see how you can go wrong doing this every so often to keep a clean fast phone.