Backup from S2 and restore to s3

frostynick

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure this subject has been covered many times but would anyone please help me with the simplest way of backing up all my data from my old Galaxy S2 and then restoring it to my new S3. As you will already realise from the phone I have just bought, I am not up to date with technology!
All I want is to replicate everything on my phone at present and move it to my S3. That means all the app, the odd games I have at the level I am now and anything else that won't come over on my Gmail account.
I have tried to use Helium but it keeps trying to find "the Helium Desktop application" which I do have installed on my computer but is cannot find for some reason.
If someone could give me a step by step guide for the non techie, I would be most grateful!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Regarding Helium - you are running the desktop app? And you're running it with elevated privileges?

You should be able to use the Kies software on your computer to backup the S2, and I'd imagine that you should be able to restore that to the S3 (although I've never tried switching platforms). You can contact Samsung Customer Service for a chat session and see if they'll confirm that.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

frostynick

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks GSDer - As I mentioned in my original post - I'm not up to speed on technology so I'm not sure what you mean by "elevated privileges".

I am sending an email to Samsung in the hope that they can tell me how to do a transfer. Tried the chat session but they couldn't help as I'm in the UK!

It does seem as though what I'm trying to do is not that straightforward whereas I would imagine that most people changing their phone would want to transfer everything over!

Thanks for you help anyway.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What OS do you have on your computer? Windows 7/8? If so, when you start the Helium Desktop program you should get a prompt to run it as Administrator.

The Helium Desktop program isn't recognizing the phone?

Have you tried using the Kies software on your PC to connect with your phone? If so, does that work?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

frostynick

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information GSDer - I am running Vista on the computer I am using. I managed to use Helium to backup and restore from my S2 to an S4 a few months ago but now I'm trying to do the same for my wife without success!
I contacted Samsung and they have come back to me to say that Kies will not restore any games back at the levels you were on, so don't really want to use that if possible.
I'm sure it is just a question of getting my wife's S2 to recognise the Helium Desktop but at the moment it isn't!
Thanks again for your input.