Used I9300 with serial number 00000

tigtorch

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a Galaxy S3 I9300 "factory unlocked" phone from Ebay. It is in beautiful shape and seems to work fine. I am a total neophyte on this but at l have just determined that:

1. The serial number under the phone status is 000000

2. The phone has been rooted

As a user with only light data needs and even lighter phone needs should I be worried? It presently works fine with Straight Talk but $45 is too much for my needs and I am heeding for H2O wireless I could still return the phone but I like it a lot!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I dunno, that sounds pretty fishy to me. I'd be concerned that the phone was tampered with, perhaps because it was stolen.

tigtorch

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I checked with Checkmend.com and there is no record of it being stolen. My main question, assuming it is not stolen, is what is the downside of having a phone that has been modified to the extent that it is rooted and the serial number shows as 00000 in the software (the printed s/n is present behind the battery and I used that and the IMEI number on checkmend.com)? If all else seems to work OK is there a possible future problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure. Probably fine, although it'll just be hard to know what the previous owner did to the phone.

tigtorch

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
B. Diddy, thank you for your answer. I am willing to risk it but was unsure if there an obvious potential problem. I know very little about this subject and your response tells me that at least there is no GLARING bomb in my pathway. The phone is in pristine condition, works flawlessly and I got a very good price on it. I will keep it. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2