Why can't I use my phone while it's charging?

Michael Marks2

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I own a Samsung Galaxy S3, and recently I had to buy a new charger because my old one wore out. So with this new charger cord, while it's plugged into the wall charging my phone, there is a red 'X' symbol over my battery icon in the notification bar. Normally, I would have assumed that this meant my phone wasn't charging, but I noticed that it says "Charging..." on the lock screen, and I see my battery level rising over time, so it does charge. The problem is, when it's plugged into the wall, my phone won't respond to anything i touch on the screen. i can't unlock my phone or do anything while it's charging, but when i unplug it, it returns to normal. I also noticed that my phone works fine while charging through my computer USB port, and the problem only happens when it's plugged into a wall outlet. Is there any fix for this issue, or is it just a problem with the wall outlet part of my charger?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The X usually means that there's a problem with the charging cable--it might not be fully compatible. I would try a different cable.

It's possible that the cable isn't shielded properly, and is causing a strong electromagnetic field that is preventing the touchscreen from responding appropriately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair