Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
    Hi

I bought new headphones yesterday (Monster Ntune). When using them with two different S3s which are both over two years old, sound only comes out of the left ear. On one of the S3s, sound comes out of both ears when I press the jack down very lightly at a certain angle (please view picture).

First I thought it was the Monster headphones as my earphones and two other headphones work fine with the two S3s but I tested the Monsters on 8 other devices, including another S3 (which is only around 5 months old) and the headphones were fine.

I purchased the headphones to use with my S3 as all my music is on it so I am very disappointed that this is happening!

Googling it, there seems to be an issue with the S3 headphone jack, but I don't know what to do... I was wondering if anyone had any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails New headphones, sound only out of left ear with S3-s3-headphone-jack.png  
    01-11-2015 09:10 AM
    A good way to check is does this happen with any given set of headphones?
    01-11-2015 09:25 AM
    A good way to check is does this happen with any given set of headphones?
    Nope, just the new ones. I've tested a couple (Beats, standard headphones, earphones) and they all work fine so I don't understand why I am only having issues with the Monster headphones, or why the Monsters work fine with other devices.
    01-11-2015 09:33 AM
    Are the monsters designed for apple products? I know sometimes that can make a difference.
    01-11-2015 10:00 AM
    Are the monsters designed for apple products? I know sometimes that can make a difference.
    No, they are not. Do you have any thoughts about the problem?

My brother is waiting for a delivery of the same headphones so I'll check them with my S3 to see if I have the same problem.
    01-11-2015 11:46 AM
    They might be faulty. Other than that I am not sure what to suggest.

From an AOSP M8
    01-11-2015 07:22 PM
    You could try cleaning out the audio jack with compressed air or electronic contact cleaner (if you do the latter, be sure the battery is removed and hold the phone upside-down so the residue immediately flushes out).

It may be that over time the contacts inside the jack have gotten pressed down - you could try using a pin to gently pry them up a little. Or try replacing the jack.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-11-2015 10:04 PM
    You could try cleaning out the audio jack with compressed air or electronic contact cleaner (if you do the latter, be sure the battery is removed and hold the phone upside-down so the residue immediately flushes out).

It may be that over time the contacts inside the jack have gotten pressed down - you could try using a pin to gently pry them up a little. Or try replacing the jack.
    Thank you for the advice - I'll try what you said.

I just don't understand why other headphones work fine but the Monsters don't :S.
    01-12-2015 04:59 PM
    I was having problems with my S3 headphone jack. I don't suggest blowing them with air. You might just push dirt further into the phone. What I did was hold the phone upside down so the jack is facing down. I was going to try a straightened paper clip, but I didn't have one. I took a small twist tie and slowly pushed it into the jack all the way I could and pulled it out. Some dirt was stuck on the tip!. I repeated this several times (8), slowly twisting the tie as I went along. Each time a little more dust came out.I occasionally would tap the phone to loosen the dirt. My headphones now work great!
    01-12-2015 08:43 PM