My Galaxy S3 will not boot on battery power, but will while on charger?

A

AC Question

Galaxy s3 will not boot on battery power, but will while on charger

So i have gotten a broken Galaxy S3 for free and i'm trying to see what is wrong with it. i have listed the problems below

- back Loudspeaker makes a loud crackling noise at random times when it is on
- Phone will not boot on battery only ( it boots to the samsung logo then "crashes" abruptly and shuts down completely )
- Phone will boot while on the charger and will stay on if i take it off the charger and let it run on battery power.
- I have tried booting without the speaker module but this does not solve the booting problems (it does get rid of the loud crackling sound offcourse)
- If i boot the phone while on the charger it will rarely "crash" and turn off immediatly

I all ready did a factory reset
Do any of you have any idea what this problem may be?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s3 will not boot on battery power, but will while on charger

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried a new battery?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s3 will not boot on battery power, but will while on charger

Measure the battery voltage (or find someone who can do it for you) to at least 2 decimal places. If it's dead enough, you may have to condition it (with a 24 hour "phone turned off" charge to start).

The problem could be a bad battery, or a broken motherboard, or a broken wire. It has to be analyzed properly. Put 3.6 volts well-regulated at a few amps capacity directly to the battery terminals on the phone (make sure you get the right pins and the right polarity, or you can throw the phone out), no charger, and see what happens. That will tell you if the battery terminals can power the phone. If they can't, you'll have to go further into the power lines to see what's wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis