I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. When I call a company which has an automated answering system, they typically go through a series of prompts which require me to enter a digit on the keypad of my phone to direct my call to the proper department. When I take the phone away from my ear and attempt to press the digit on the keypad of the phone, the keypad screen goes blank and I cannot enter the digit. How can I make the keypad screen not disappear when I attempt to enter a digit on the keypad? I have discovered a workaround if I put the phone on speaker, I can press the digit on the keypad and the screen will not go blank. But I would also like to be able to press the digit key without being on speaker. This has been very frustrating since I have had the phone.
    06-05-2015 03:13 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! It sounds like something is blocking the proximity sensor when you take the phone away from the ear. The sensor is near the front-facing camera, and when it detects it is up against something (i.e., your ear), it causes the screen to turn off so that you don't press any onscreen buttons with your ear or face. If something is blocking the sensor during a call, it will still think the phone is up against your ear and blank the screen. Make sure your finger isn't in that area, or that you don't have a dirty screen protector or ill-fitting case causing obstruction.
    06-05-2015 04:18 PM
    And, if nothing is blocking the sensor, it could be a bad sensor. They do go bad. Not often, but they do. If you have "The power key ends calls" disabled (Settings/Device/Call/Answering/ending calls), you can tap the power switch to get the screen back on.
    06-05-2015 04:57 PM
    Samsung phones do this all the time.

If I know I'm calling one of those numbers, I tap on the keypad as soon as the call connects. The screen we t go black with the keypad up.
    06-05-2015 05:05 PM
    Thanks for your answers. To B. Diddy: there is nothing blocking the proximity sensor which you indicate is near the front facing camera and the case is not blocking anything and I have no screen protector. My fingers do not get near that sensor. To: Rukbat: there is no "call" menu group under settings/device, only, home screen mode, blocking mode, sound, display, storage, power savings mode, battery and application manager. I have Android version 4.1.2 on my Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. To Kelly Kearns: I'll give that a try. Thanks again for all your answers.
    06-05-2015 06:09 PM
    Thanks for your answers. To B. Diddy: there is nothing blocking the proximity sensor which you indicate is near the front facing camera and the case is not blocking anything and I have no screen protector. My fingers do not get near that sensor. To: Rukbat: there is no "call" menu group under settings/device, only, home screen mode, blocking mode, sound, display, storage, power savings mode, battery and application manager. I have Android version 4.1.2 on my Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. To Kelly Kearns: I'll give that a try. Thanks again for all your answers.
    I only use Samsung phones and I have almost every one since the Galaxy S and the Note line, came out. When this option came into play, don't remember what Android version, I would have issues with the screen going black when bringing the phone down and it is never close to anything. Sometimes I think it has to do with the direction the phone is facing, like trying to hold your phone a strange way to get enough bars for a call with a weak signal.

I have used the speaker work around also.
    06-05-2015 06:19 PM