Background: Last week I got a galaxy s3 from my aunt who has recently upgraded to a newer phone. The phone had been sitting in a drawer for a while. When I plugged the phone in, I got a grey battery with the circle on it, and then after a while it changed to the charging screen with the battery nearly full. When I turned it on, it booted to the Galaxy S3 logo, then back to the circle battery. Powering it on without the charger does nothing. However, it can easily go into download mode and sometimes recovery mode.

Attempts:
    Used Kies to restore firmware. This resulted in an error and I had to use odin to restore a stock firmware. This got me to the AT&T logo before going back to the circle battery.

Factory reset from recovery mode. Nothing more occurs. Cannot pass AT&T logo

Ordered new battery. Will not power on without charger, same loop: grey battery, almost full green battery, samsung logo, galaxy s3, another samsung logo with blue LED, AT&T logo, and back to grey circle battery.

Blowed on ports, knocked on buttons, nothing else works. Just goes right back to the grey battery with a circle on it, but easily boots into download mode and sometimes recovery mode. Please help.
    06-13-2015 01:39 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When you got the new battery, how long did you let it charge in the phone undisturbed, before trying to power it on? Make sure you let it charge up for a good 4-6 hours before even trying to power it on.
    06-14-2015 01:41 AM
    Thanks for replying. The battery charged up to full (green led, 100%) then pulling the charger killed it, seeming as if the battery was at 0%

Edit: tried another battery from a different phone... and it booted up fine!
    06-16-2015 10:58 AM
    It sounds like the new battery you bought might be defective. Did you get it from a well-known seller, or was it a somewhat random inexpensive purchase on eBay or some place similar? The latter puts you at more risk for a dud. Contact the seller and request a refund or exchange.
    06-16-2015 11:12 PM