Galaxy S3 - Won't turn on/freezes on start-up screen

m-16

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My phone is usually quite slow and lags a bit. When I went to open an image, I thought it was just lagging but it froze and stayed like that for over half an hour. Hitting the home button or the power button didn't work so I removed the battery. When I turned the phone on after putting the battery back in, it froze on the start up screen for a long time. I took the battery out and in again but this time I just left it to charge, but it froze on the charging screen. I can't seem to get it to turn on and I have lots of memory that's still on the phone so I'm very reluctant on setting my phone to factory reset. Please help!

If there is no way to get it to turn back on, is there any way I can still retrieve all my app data, pictures, text messages, files, etc. still on my phone?
Thank you!

(Please excuse the cracks on the screen)
s3.JPG

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Pull the battery again for 10 seconds, then reinsert and try booting into Recovery Mode to wipe the cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

In the future, make it a habit to backup or sync your important data (and memories) on a regular basis. At the very least, you should turn on Google Photos Auto Backup, so that your photos are saved to your Google Photos cloud on an automatic basis. If you set it to save as "High Quality" (as opposed to "Original Quality"), you get unlimited​ photo storage.

m-16

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I've tried that method already and when I hold the volume up, home and power button down at the same time, the Samsung logo starts flashing. The moment I let go of these buttons, it freezes on the Samsung logo again, and I can't get much further than that. I also left the battery out of my phone over night and tried it again when I read your post.

What can I do now? And do you know what's causing my phone to do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say, since the damage that caused the screen to crack could also have affected the motherboard. It's worth trying a new or different battery.

m-16

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a spare battery for my Galaxy S3, even though I find it not as good as the one I usually use, but still tried the spare battery out and the same thing happens with my phone. Since the spare battery isn't that great, I am trying to find someone else who's also got an S3 so I can see if it's really not the battery's fault.

Is it still possible revive my phone? :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance