Battery drain - Google Play services

weamish

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Phone recently purchased from PagePlus. Going from full charge to shutdown in about 12 hours of zero use. Battery usage graph shows 96% Google Play services. Tried clearing cache and reinstalling updates, no change. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

mayhem8

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I spent a fair amount of time looking for a fix for this and tried different things with no luck. I noticed that I do NOT see the battery drain issue if I am connected to WiFi. I did something very simple and it seems to actually be working so far.

I went to Settings > Data Usage and scrolled down and clicked on Google Play Services. I scrolled down on that screen and checked the box "Restrict background data".

Prior to doing this I could literally see the % Battery Drain from Google Services (Settings > Battery > Battery usage) noticeably increase in a matter of 5-10 minutes when I turned off WiFi. After doing this one simple thing, 30 mins later the % drain from Goggle Services has actually DECREASED, probably because my Screen % went up from checking the battery drain stats. I also noticed no activity from the mobile data activity icon after doing this, where as before it was showing a fair amount of activity.

Hey, if it doesn't fix it for you it's easy enough to go back and uncheck that check box in the event it breaks an app, but so far, so good.

mayhem8

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Left my phone on overnight without being connected to WiFi with 88% battery. Normally my phone would be dead the next morning but I was pleasantly surprised to see I still had 78% battery. Success!!!!! (At least on my phone).

BTW - I have an LG G2 with Lollipop and had the latest version of Google Play Services (8.4.89), which I re-installed as suggested in one of the other posts and it didn't fix anything.

Last edited:

mayhem8

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
In 2+ days my phone went from 88% battery to 52% battery. I am basically now back to getting 3 full days on a charge like I did when I first got the phone prior to the Lollipop upgrade. Sweet!!!!

weamish

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I went to Settings > Data Usage and scrolled down and clicked on Google Play Services. I scrolled down on that screen and checked the box "Restrict background data"

Thanks for this suggestion, but I don't think it will help in my case. I'm running only wifi - mobile data is turned off. Total data shown for Google Services is 20k (Google Play Services does not appear)