Quick battery drain (and charge) on Galaxy S3, what is going on?

A

AC Question

Quick battery drain (and charge) on galaxy S3.

I've been having a problem for the last couple months, and it's getting a little troublesome.

I like streaming music from amazon music, using my phone for normal uses, facebook, webpages, etc. I also usually use Bluetooth headphones with my phone, instead of wired ones.

Now, I understand that streaming music to the device and then to a Bluetooth device is somewhat battery-intensive, but it hasn't been a problem in years past.

But recently, my battery will go from ~90% to ~40% in about 45 minutes, while listening to music, and then sometimes crash instantly from 40% to 0%.

While I'm getting ready for bed, my phone will usually go from ~70% to 50% in the shower, from about 50% - 25% while brushing my teeth, and from 25% to 10% while I get dressed. Sometimes, it will literally drain 10% for the duration of one 4 minute song.

In the morning, again, with normal music use, not even using the headphones, my phone will easily be at 50% life by the time I get to work, after maybe a half hour of use.

Thing is, I can plug it in, and it'll charge rapidly as well. It'll go from like 10% to 50% in 20 minutes at times.

This was happening with my last battery, so I thought it was old and I got a new one, but the new one is just as bad.

I've checked my power usage to see what is draining so much, but it's usually the screen, or something called 'media server'.

I have turned my screen brightness to nothing, turned on power saving mode, and taken other pretty standard first steps, but it just keeps draining at a crazy rate.

I've read about restarting in safe mode, or factory resetting, but that seems somewhat drastic. Yet, I have no idea what else to try, and it's not getting any better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Quick battery drain (and charge) on galaxy S3.

Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

If a file on the SD card is corrupt, that can cause the Media Server to work overtime. Try unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage​), removing it, and rebooting.