Which Class/Speed SD Card for Galaxy S4

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all im a new member here so do forgive for any mistakes. As you might notice from my username iv had enough of apple and decided to take the plunge and go with an android phone, while eyeing up the note 2 the S4 came to my attention so without any hesitation iv upgraded on a preorder.

As well as a new case (most likely neo hybrid) when they land in the UK, i need to know what class or speed is optimum for my new device. I dont want a card thats laggy and slows down my experience with the phone, then again ive owned iphones since 2007 so im not too familiar with sd cards. The main criteria is the card has to be super reliable, years ago i lost a ton of pictures on my sd card which were pretty important to me.

Any help with the fastest most reliable sd card out there would be very highly appreciated, theres just so many read/write speeds out there im just not sure whats best for me.

TIA ;)

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
First of all Welcome to the Android party. personally in my opinion anything class 6 or higher should be fine when accessing the SD card. If you are transferring files from a PC to SD card of course Class 10 is the best bt not needed. I recently picked up a Sandisk class 10 32 gb for 19.99. As for most reliable i have had many many different brands of cards and I haven't had issues with any of the major name brands. Hope this helps

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Never even thought about this, I was just going to throw in a 64GB SD I had lying around (Nexus 4 has no SD slot, so not currently using). Might have to check out the class.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android!

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for the welcome.

Yeah i feel it would be pointless getting a slow card if it takes that much longer to save pics etc. I really want a faster phone, not wait a few seconds for it to load/save a pic onto the sd card. But as i said class 6 or class 10 dont really mean much to me as i dont understand the difference and their potential, iv even read somewhere that most phones prefer class 4 because of some technical mush which i cant remember.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It's very complicated, but let's make it simple:

* Class refers to the speed you can write large files
* You'll probably want class 6 to properly record video
* In general, the higher the class rating, the slower the card will be for general access

That last one is still a bit complicated, but making a card faster to write to generally has the negative side effect of making the card slower to read. If you plan to use the SD card mostly for media (songs and videos), then it probably won't matter much, though.

So class 4 and class 6 are generally good bets, but class 6 is probably better just because of the size of images and video on the S4.

Also, my personal opinion (not based on extensive research) is that you should probably just buy Sandisk or Samsung flash as a lot of the other cards are simply re-branded Sandisk and Samsung. I've also had the most luck with these two.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Always Class 10, the cost difference between Class 10 and the lower speeds is not enough to justify the loss in speed. I got a 64GB microSD HC at the holidays for $55, they are likely down or near that now.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
A Class 6 card will be fine. If you want a Class 10, then by all means get one. In all honesty, I have a Class 10 because I scored it for $32 and some change from Amazon. Do price comparisons and get what is best for you.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Also remember you won't get the class 10 speeds on Google even if you have a class 10 card. Android os isn't set up for it. There a ton of threads and even post or two by Google on it. Class6 is the optimal speed. Also be careful it seems like Samsung phones don't like sd card lately. For your videos and pictures sync them to the cloud with a app like dropbox. I actually doing miss my sd card thought I would. But I went bought bought WiFi HD 1tb it's nice I can share with all my devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Cloud storage is a great option. Class 6 should be good for the SD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Also remember you won't get the class 10 speeds on Google even if you have a class 10 card. Android os isn't set up for it.

This was also my concern, pointless aiming for a higher class if it wont be utilised, also i think dropbox is a good idea. Im sure with the new S4 gives me a 50Gb dropbox account. Think i might go for a sammy 32Gb class 6 card and also sync media to the cloud as a backup- just in case. Seems like the perfect solution.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
With data costs today on the carriers, I do not rely on cloud storage for streaming any content. Unless you plan on using WiFi a lot to stream I would suggest 64GB so you can carry what you want for playback. Oddly enough my iPod decided to go all fubar and no longer registers on my Win8 Laptop or my wife's Win7 desktop. If the "Genius Bar" can't fix it well then I guess it was just a gentle reminder how fickle Apple hardware can be and WHY I should be using my 64GB Class 10 microSDHC card for iPods, movies, and pics/vids I take :)

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Good point, but data charges are a thing of the past for me as im with Three UK. Ill get unlimited data, not just 3G but 4G too when it arrives later this year. But i think dropbox would be ideal for photos and videos especially just as a backup option incase all my hardware goes kaput someday. The music has defo gota be on an SD, by the looks of it i dont think any class of card should make a difference, aslong as its class 6 or above, think ive just answered my own question there.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Good point, but data charges are a thing of the past for me as im with Three UK. Ill get unlimited data, not just 3G but 4G too when it arrives later this year. But i think dropbox would be ideal for photos and videos especially just as a backup option incase all my hardware goes kaput someday. The music has defo gota be on an SD, by the looks of it i dont think any class of card should make a difference, aslong as its class 6 or above, think ive just answered my own question there.

Users in the EU have it better with data plans, but if you are in Canada or the US you are not so lucky :(

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Bing bong, Jack!!

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site

Data uses battery to find the closest network tower and download while sd card doesnt. In the long run it will save battery for those times you really need it.

Reformed IOS User

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat as the OP.
Have had an 3Gs since they came out but I am tired of Apple's no external memory, difficult battery replacements and small screens.

I was looking to purchase a memory card before I got my phone.
I read through this thread but I am confused.
Looking at memory cards on the office depot website, I don't see any mention of Classes.
I wanted to know if this one would work - or is there a better one?
Not concerned about cost, just want the best card I can get.

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDSDXPA 064G A75 64 GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity SDXC 1 Card by Office Depot

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat as the OP.
Have had an 3Gs since they came out but I am tired of Apple's no external memory, difficult battery replacements and small screens.

I was looking to purchase a memory card before I got my phone.
I read through this thread but I am confused.
Looking at memory cards on the office depot website, I don't see any mention of Classes.
I wanted to know if this one would work - or is there a better one?
Not concerned about cost, just want the best card I can get.

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDSDXPA 064G A75 64 GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity SDXC 1 Card by Office Depot

That card is really aimed at new generation cameras/camcorders. Might be overkill on a phone.

UHS Speed Class 1 vs Class 10 - Memory Cards | 3D Cameras Review

John

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
It's very complicated, but let's make it simple:

* Class refers to the speed you can write large files
* You'll probably want class 6 to properly record video
* In general, the higher the class rating, the slower the card will be for general access

That last one is still a bit complicated, but making a card faster to write to generally has the negative side effect of making the card slower to read. If you plan to use the SD card mostly for media (songs and videos), then it probably won't matter much, though.

So class 4 and class 6 are generally good bets, but class 6 is probably better just because of the size of images and video on the S4.

Also, my personal opinion (not based on extensive research) is that you should probably just buy Sandisk or Samsung flash as a lot of the other cards are simply re-branded Sandisk and Samsung. I've also had the most luck with these two.

Searching Amazon, it appears all 64gb are Class 10.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I wish I saw this thread before I bought my SD card I bought a 16 GB class 4 card. I haven't utilized it yet though. It will only be for pics and maybe a few songs....but i do use Dropbox as well as a few other backup options,,

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae