12-09-2015 10:56 PM
62 123
tools
    Ive done many tests with charging blocks and cables. Ive found it to be true that "functionally identical" (in theory) cable do not charge at the same rate as the stock white cable. Without being an expert or engineer on the project its hard for me to know facts. I for one take care of my gadgets I love and use.

Ive read to understand there is a difference between charging and charging/data cables.

I need to research more for myself.

Anyone got some facts or relevant experience on this matter?

01-31-2014 01:16 AM
    my data cable got broken because of my little brother & been trying to replace one for S4 phone that i have.
    thought only samsung approved ones only works.thank for the heads up
    02-03-2014 03:33 AM
    I have an s4 mini.

I dont have the original cord anymore, but i am having a lot of trouble with all USB charging. If i plug into the wall socket, regardless of the cord i use, all is good, charges at 730,000 ma, but if i plug into the usb on my laptop, or the car charger, i get between 500 (almost nothing) and 70,000 ma depending on the device and whether i go through a hub etc. Sometimes the phone shuts down mid call it charges that slowly.
    Not sure if that applies to this topic, but it does show that there are other influences on charging that are nothing to do with the cord you use.
    02-22-2014 07:44 AM
    You'd think somebody would have looked at the Official USB standards site and noticed the pinouts on the connectors. Pin 4 is an ID pin. Some tied High, some Low. Many with differing resistor values from pin 4 to identify what type of device is connected.
    04-11-2014 03:40 PM
    I've tried two different OE cables and chargers and they are junk. I have to hold the cord at a precise angle for the phone to charge.
    07-24-2014 09:30 PM
    Not sure if I'm rehashing this thread, but I've come to a very strange conclusion myself.

First of all, my wife and I both have a Galaxy S3. Her phone stopped charging correctly. It would charge, then not charge, then charge again, and so on. I thought the usb port was bad, so I decided that I would learn to solder and try to replace it. To not be a complete ***** though, I purchased a cracked (brand new) phone on ebay for $50 and swapped the mother boards for her and did a phone swap through our carrier. New phone, new usb port....solved, right? Not quite.

At first it was solved, but her new phone starting acting the same way again after she used it on a generic cord in the car. And now after reading through some forums and experimenting, I've noticed that her phone charges perfectly fine when the usb has 5 pins. If it has 4 pins, it screws up. I've tried it multiple times between three different cords of each variety. It happens every time.

Looks like all the 4-pin micro usb cords from this house are headed to goodwill.

All this, and my phone charges on any Micro USB cord, 4 or 5 pin.
    08-19-2014 11:53 PM
    Yeah I have a couple different ones and I think so long as you are getting them from a good 3rd party brand you'll be fine. We have some iphones in the house so I got a generic one recently that charges both, it works just fine. I use the samsung one in my car, but that's it.

This is the one I got iDroid Cable Sale | BoxWave
    12-03-2014 07:52 PM
    I have the belkin cables, and they charge good, but when I plug it to my Mac it won't let me use he masage usb storage to upload music with the android file transfer....I can only use kies and that one doesn't upload everything usually leaves like 5somgs put......any Asia of good cables beside the belkin that would allow me to use the masage usb option to use android file transfer in my Mac
    01-28-2015 05:40 PM
    I am having the same problem and also noticed that the depth of plastic is differebt from original micro usb and generic. I have had my samsung galaxy s4 for less than 3 months and online to buy a new battery and getting an extra with a wall charger because my charger and battery have both gone bad. Im using the cord and charger that came with my s4, and everytime i use it to charge my phone, a message pops up on my phone saying "to charge faster, use the original charger that came with your device." ...which I am using the original. My battery dies from 100% to 0% in just 2-3 hours and gets very hot if i use it while it charges. My husband just bought an Asus phone that hooks to a 'tablet'. I used his charger the other day for maybe an hour and my phone was completely charged. I still cant believe how fast it charged. I csn use any micro usb, but it takes FOREVER and even my original charger and cable now have plenty of wiggle room at the port on my phone rather than a snug fit. Point being.. There is definitely a difference in the original cables and generic as far as having a good and quick charge. I think samsung cables go bad very quickly...maybe from using the original charger on a seperate device or by using a seperate charger on your original device.
    02-26-2015 12:12 AM
    At least one person is going to laugh. This is my phone: " This device is also known as Samsung SCH-S738, Samsung SCH-S738C"

What's with all these 8pin cords? Will I hate myself if I buy one?
    07-06-2015 02:33 AM
    I have the same problem. The Galaxy S4 my friend sold me works with any generic cable. But battery life is bad so I got the extended pack. And generic cables work fine but as noted charging is never 1900. 1200 max.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4739411

I have a cable with samsung written on it. Got to find it and see if it good or not. Missing the pin 4. But its black. Was from ebay with a bluetooth ear piece I got by plantronics. He gave a samsung cable as a generic with that.

I will see if I can find it. I will also drain the battery and see if the charging is more than 1200 mah but I doubt it. Right now with a flat red micro usb cable from vcs for 6 bucks and my insignia 2.4 amp black brick with blue light It is 1200mah. Not 2000 or 1900. Even with my samsung white brick came with the phone always 1200mah and never 1900.

Sometinmes less then 1000 but even with a car usb port cigrette lighter it was over 1000 on an 1amp. But never 1900 so I have to shop around some more.
    10-10-2015 01:18 AM
    I own a Samsung Galaxy s4 and have been shopping around for an mhl to hdmi adapter. During researching this product, I noticed the micro-usb port for the s4 is 2.0. It may be backwards compatible and be able to use a cable that is usb 1.0 but it is not to my knowledge forward compatible. A 3.0 usb cable won't work I don't think. When I bought the mhl to hdmi adapter it was 1.0 and it didn't function properly, so just be aware there are different versions of usb cables and get the version that is compatible with your phone. My s4 charges on several older cables, likely 1.0, just fine.
    12-09-2015 10:56 PM
62 123