03-28-2017 07:38 PM
49 12
tools
    As an engineer and multiple-device user I am inclined to agree with Rich. I have a Galaxy S4 and an S3, and they both have different temperaments. The 2100mA charger that came with the S4 is different from the 1900mA charger that came with the S3, and NOTHING will charge the S4 as fast as the original Samgung-branded charger. The S4 will only draw its full 2.1A from the white Samsung S4 charger, and anything else, including 2.1A car chargers, iPad chargers, and generic piggies, will only charge at 1.2A.

It's bloody frustrating but really it sounds like in this instance Samsung really have managed to pair up the device to the charger to such an extent that it's the only combo that works properly.

As a side note I can also confirm that MANY cheaper micro USB cables will not allow the S4 to draw its full 2.1A either. Like someone said, better to just buy a couple of extra genuine cables and chargers rather than be stingy
    04-27-2014 08:44 PM
    I would have to defend the store manager on this one I bought a wall charger from a dollar store and burned out four gs4's checked the voltages with a volt meter and was pushing 9.89 Volts it doesn't matter if you design mobile devices or not doesn't make you a Quality Control professional for USB chargers. these cheap knock off chargers and car chargers aren't passed through quality control a lot of the time I work for Siemens Quality Control supervisor for 18 years.
    05-16-2014 07:32 PM
    I have question can u use a s 4 charger on a nexus 7 because I lost the original charger somewhere in my house
    05-16-2014 07:35 PM
    So to sum up, any charger will work for small devices (unless it is defective), most will work with larger devices like tablets, though they may be incredibly slow, and matching brand chargers may charge (especially large) devices fastest - correct? And obviously dollar store chargers have a higher chance to be defective than name brands.

Any corrections?
    06-01-2014 09:30 PM
    Here is my experience with aftermarket chargers. (I'm an electrical engineer BTW) I've had a GS3, a GS4, and now a GS5. The 3 and 4 would charge with any USB charger. Only the charging rate would change. I did some experiments with an old cable and found that the thin wiring in the cable was the culprit of the slow charging. When you get a phone (or tablet) with a 2 amp capable charger, it will be supplied with a cable capable of carrying that much power without a large voltage drop. If you have a lightweight USB cable, the voltage drop in the cable itself will drop below the 4 volts needed at the phone for proper charging.
    I have a couple of built-in wall outlet 3amp capable USB chargers. They charged the S3, S4 and older tablets just fine. Now I have an S5 and just got a Samsung 10.1 pro tablet. Both refuse to charge from the universal 3 amp chargers. They will charge from only the original Samsung chargers or from my laptop. Samsung has changed something in thier charging circuits recently. I think if they detect a non-samsung charger they just refuse to charge completely instead of just defaulting to a slower rate. Does anyone know if this is fact or a way I can mod my wall charger to work on the new Sammy devices? I don't mind slow charging.
    06-08-2014 07:51 AM
    Here's what I know. I'm no store manager or electricial engineer. Just an electronics hobbiest/nerd:

As some have pointed out, it has nothing to do with voltage as all usb (up to 3.0) should supply +5v on its voltage pin according to spec. It has to do with current. How much current will the charger supply and how much will the device utilize. If a device ever draws more current than a charger (or PC usb port) can handle then you are likely to damage the charger/port (probably not the device). USB standards are set so it must be able to supply 500mA of current*for usb 2.0 and 900mA for 3.0 (if utilizing the added pins). Let's talk 2.0 (since its still the most common).

Most powerful phones/tablets require more current than 500mA to charge decently (some up to 2A). And so they are packaged with chargers that are capable of supplying their needed current. Now they also need the device to "know" when it's allowed to draw the higher current so that it doesn't burn up people's usb ports on their PCs which are assumed to only be capable of 500mA. This is accomplished using the data pins on the usb cable to send a combination of voltages to the device, which depending on the combination tells the device how much current it's allowed to draw. Typically accomplished using resistor voltage deviders inside the charging device. There is no standard for these voltages so it varies by manufacturer. According to Wikipedia this is what apple uses:

When D+ = D− = 2.0*V, the device may pull up to 500*mA
    When D+ = 2.0*V and D− = 2.8*V, the device may pull up to 1*A of current.
    When D+ = 2.8*V and D− = 2.0*V, the device may pull up to 2*A of current.

I think (but don't quote me) that Samsung uses the same system.

With this in mind it should never damage the device technically by using another brands charger, but forcing your phone to charge slowly (on only 500mA) might not be good for it in the long term.
    06-15-2014 05:14 PM
    Although I agree that any USB charger SHOULD work, my phone has smoked two non samsung chargers and my battery no longer holds a charge like it used to. Perhaps it was my battery that as the problem originally. I guess I will never know which caused which, but I do not dare charge my phone when I cannot keep any eye on it. One of the chargers was a generic from Wal-Mart and the other was an Energizer model PC-1WAC.
    07-01-2014 04:39 PM
    I don't think he was saying that companies are not subject but rather that.... there are companies out there that want to make 5 bucks per charger, don't care if the phone that's going to be charge with it burns.... who's going to suspect the culprit was the charger??? not a lot of people. WHY??? well because.... for starters, in the back of the packed charger, there's a weird company name that no one has heard of. Second because samsung will more than likely just give you a new phone if you are under warranty (how does sammy or any other OEM know what made your phone melt.) SO you see.... it's much easier to go through sammy or whatever company your phone is from. Just common sense and my opinion.
    07-08-2014 06:36 PM
    Hi..I have a galaxy s5 and am wondering if it is OK to use the LG-G2 charger, it is 5v, I have the original charger but BF bought new LGG2 and we accidently mixed up our chargers ..I will have mine back this friday..will this cause any damage to my new phone?
    07-08-2014 06:40 PM
    The true answer is "MAYBE" since you have to see how many Milliamps the transformer supplies and how many milliamps the S4 requires. Just match up the milliamp output with your original charger and you will be fine. It is written in fine print on the transformer. The problems occur when you under supply or over supply amperage. The voltage that everyone keeps talking about is a universal 5v. That is always the same, so in conclusion match up the amperage supply and you will be fine. Ps.. always use a quality charger to avoid transformer meltdown which could cross wires going into your s4 and short circuit it out. Always remember to use a wall wart and that way turn off your charger when it is not charging to save electricity and longevity of the charger.
    Heat is an enemy of electronics, also avoid hand and face sweat on the s4 to keep your saltiness from oozing into the unit via charging and headset ports.
    07-17-2014 11:54 PM
    Hi Allison,
    If the milliamp output is the same then you are good to go. In other words the amount of amperage that is put out by the transformer via the 5 volt usb cable should be the same and not under or over supply it.
    07-17-2014 11:56 PM
    Dear Kayla,
    I would just clear up that you meant amperage instead of voltage. All the usb transformers supply 5 volts. They are in a panic and do not understand that you really mean amperage differences are what should be avoiding when trying to match up usb chargers. Everyone needs to pick a quality charge that supplies the same amount of milliamps to charge their device.
    Thanks!
    07-17-2014 11:59 PM
    Lots of good as well as useless info here. I am also an electrical engineer. Skid and silva posted very useful information. Kayla is probably passing on what she has been told to say so Verizon can keep charging $30 for $10 chargers. Of course, the safest and best way to charge your devices is with the original or identical charger that came with it. That being said however, the wall adapter does not "supply" current (amperage). Current is "drawn" by the device. You cannot "supply" too much current. Voltage is supplied and the current drawn is a function of the voltage and the internal circuitry of the device. Ipads are capable of charging very quickly at 2.4 amps and their wall adapters can supply that power (2.4 amps x 5 volts = 12watts) without damage. The ipad has to detect when it is safely connected to an adequate wall adapter. If it were to try to draw 2.4 amps through an 500ma rated adapter it would burn it up because it would overheat the lower rated components in the adapter. All brand devices including my S3 have some similar scheme. Most people with slow charging complaints are charging the device with a USB data cable and not the supplied wall adapter (which either shorts out the data pins or loads them so it knows it's just charging). This tells the device that it is connected to a USB data connection a limits the current to the 500ma available on USB ports. I personally charge my S3 and my wife's S4 with an Anker 2.4 amp rated charger using high quality "charging only" cables. Plenty of suitable chargers are available on Amazon or other websites.
    07-22-2014 10:02 PM
    You might be fine using a htc charger. Do not use a universal charger. I used one on my s4 and it messed the phone up so bad I had to factory reset the phone. Word of caution on using non samsung charger. Even though it's micro usb, it may mess your phone up pretty bad.. Both battery life and the software. Mine lost the ability to make phone calls. The dialler disappeared completely from the phone.
    08-01-2014 10:41 AM
    Thank you! I've read through this post, and gathered it's safe =] I use my s4 charger [which is loose, and wobbles around and disconnects a lot if I charge and play around on my phone at the same time, oof] but use my Blackberry charger elsewhere at house, which is slow to charge, but stays connected. Good to know my phone won't blow up. Cheers!
    10-14-2014 01:20 AM
    Actually he is very correct, being that I own a Galaxy S4 when you use a different charger other than the original 2A charger the phone either A. Charges so slow that if you use the device while charging it dies or B. Charges to 100 then the battery quickly dissipates. The devices you create may not but this phone does it requires the original charger.
    11-11-2014 12:49 PM
    Does s4 charger charge the s5
    03-28-2015 08:38 PM
    Does any one know if the s4 charger charge the s5?
    03-28-2015 08:39 PM
    How important is it to allow the battery of a Galaxy S4 to drain to 20% before charging
    osvanberg likes this.
    04-04-2015 10:05 AM
    How important is it to allow the battery of a Galaxy S4 to drain to 20% before charging
    Ehhh not at all!
    04-04-2015 06:54 PM
    My S4 charges much quicker with a Samsung charger.
    09-08-2015 11:33 AM
    So my original charger from my samsung galaxy s4 is loose and it really is frustrating to adjust it from time to time so i can just charge it, i will have to return it to the shop this week or the next for a replacement one. I'm now using a HTC charger and i'm wondering if its okay to charge it? Will it not mess my battery up or shorten its life?

Posted via my phone :">
    The g4 has a 3000mAh battery. My portable chargers only go up to 2000mAh. My phone doesn't charge with them. (Ironically I bought the first one to charge my phone when I'm not home) My phone is the only one in the house that won't charge with them.
    07-12-2016 11:06 PM
    Kindly send me some pics of the charger which is suitable for American s4 Verizon. Thank you
    10-29-2016 12:58 AM
    It is not a good idea unless the charger has the same specs as the original charger. I used a different charger on a phone I had and it ended up cooking the inside of the phone. Doing it as a once off time or just a few times won't hurt it, but continuously doing it like I did, about 4 months later the phone started to not work properly. Had to keep restarting it. I replaced the battery but it did not fix it. So it doesn't overheat the battery. It cooks the phone and then you are left with having to throw it and buy a new phone.
    03-28-2017 07:38 PM
49 12