Best Sd Card for Samsung Galaxy S4? Mine keep getting corrupted.

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S4 since it was available from verizon. I put a sandisk 32gb from a droid x2 into the GS4 when I first got it. The 32gb was almost maxed out, but never had any problems for several months at first with the S4. Then it started getting too fool, so I started deleting older files I no longer needed. When I was consolidating my files on the S4 My Files App, the whole phone froze and my card said it was unreadble, it said I needed to reformat it and it was destroyed. I hooked up the micro sd card to the computer and was unable to format it, it wouldnt read on my computer. It was in Raw mode. I tried several formating and data recovery programs. I was able to get a distorted picture and one song. But for the life of me could not format it. Dont tell me how to format a card, it wont work bottom line ive tried everything. Then I bought a 64gb sandisk class 10, I used it in my phone for 3 days, then after a download, it said my Sd card was blank just like last time. It told me to format my card and it was un able to read it. I couldnt format this one either on the computer. Then I bought a samsung sd card class 10. Thinking my problems would be over, it checked out like it was working at first, then I went to take a picture and it wouldnt save to the Sd card. I had just opened the package and put the card in, why wouldnt it work ? I went to My files> sd card> then I saw a bunch of foriegn text with symbols, so I backed out to the home page and BOOM my sd card got destroyed agian and Its not readable. Ive checked my sd cards out on other devices, they work until paired up with my s4. I thought the best sd card to get for the s4 is a Samsung class 10. But ive had no luck. I need at least 32gb for an external storage. What should I try next?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 since it was available from verizon. I put a sandisk 32gb from a droid x2 into the GS4 when I first got it. The 32gb was almost maxed out, but never had any problems for several months at first with the S4. Then it started getting too fool, so I started deleting older files I no longer needed. When I was consolidating my files on the S4 My Files App, the whole phone froze and my card said it was unreadble, it said I needed to reformat it and it was destroyed. I hooked up the micro sd card to the computer and was unable to format it, it wouldnt read on my computer. It was in Raw mode. I tried several formating and data recovery programs. I was able to get a distorted picture and one song. But for the life of me could not format it. Dont tell me how to format a card, it wont work bottom line ive tried everything. Then I bought a 64gb sandisk class 10, I used it in my phone for 3 days, then after a download, it said my Sd card was blank just like last time. It told me to format my card and it was un able to read it. I couldnt format this one either on the computer. Then I bought a samsung sd card class 10. Thinking my problems would be over, it checked out like it was working at first, then I went to take a picture and it wouldnt save to the Sd card. I had just opened the package and put the card in, why wouldnt it work ? I went to My files> sd card> then I saw a bunch of foriegn text with symbols, so I backed out to the home page and BOOM my sd card got destroyed agian and Its not readable. Ive checked my sd cards out on other devices, they work until paired up with my s4. I thought the best sd card to get for the s4 is a Samsung class 10. But ive had no luck. I need at least 32gb for an external storage. What should I try next?

Welcome to Android Central :)
Sounds like you might have a bad card reader on your phone that is causing the corruption. It shouldn't be working on others and not on yours. I've had no issues with my SanDisk card, but it's only a class 4

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
When I try a Sd card, I usually try it out on my galaxy tab 3 10.1 before trying it out on my s4; they work on the tablet. Then when I put it in my S4, it will be corrupted or deleted or show up as blank. It doesnt always do it as soon as I put it in the card slot. Most times it will take a day or two... ? Does the 64gb class 10 sd cards have to be formatted differently? I went to the verizon store and the guy said he remembers something about 64gb cards having to be a certain kind or way. Other then that he gave me tech support numbers. I tried that for 30 seconds. I dont like automated phone calls, and couldn't get through.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When I try a Sd card, I usually try it out on my galaxy tab 3 10.1 before trying it out on my s4; they work on the tablet. Then when I put it in my S4, it will be corrupted or deleted or show up as blank. It doesnt always do it as soon as I put it in the card slot. Most times it will take a day or two... ? Does the 64gb class 10 sd cards have to be formatted differently? I went to the verizon store and the guy said he remembers something about 64gb cards having to be a certain kind or way. Other then that he gave me tech support numbers. I tried that for 30 seconds. I dont like automated phone calls, and couldn't get through.

Posted via Android Central App

It has to be formatted in NTFS

Sent via Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

I will try this right now. but listen to this. UPDATE. I formated my 64gb samsung class 10 to exFAT after being corrupted in my S4. then put it in my galaxy tab3, it worked for 30 minutes. took 4 videos, then it became unreadable as i was watching my videos; it said my sd card was "Blank". Took it out just now and its in my computer formated to exFat agian. still working though on computer. close one lol. I will now format it to NTFS to see if that fixes anything.

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

So if anyone is curious, I went ahead and formated my Samsung Micro Sd card 64gb class 10 to NTFS. I did this while on the phone with verizon tech support. I put the sd card into both devices, the samsung galaxy s4 and the galaxy tablet 3 10.1. It did not work. The card showed up as blank. So i went ahead and formatted it back to exFat. It then registered on both devices. While the sd card was in my phone, i went ahead and decided to format it right then and there through the phone. It is now working and i havent had any problems. So i think the best solution is to buy a whole new sd card and as soon as you put it in your device, format it through your device, so you have no problems else where. i think i fixed the problem. I formatted it through my phone (S4) and i havent had any problems so far. I took a couple videos/pictures. they are saving correctly. If i run into any more problems i will post. thanks for the time and i hope you fix any problems that arise.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So if anyone is curious, I went ahead and formated my Samsung Micro Sd card 64gb class 10 to NTFS. I did this while on the phone with verizon tech support. I put the sd card into both devices, the samsung galaxy s4 and the galaxy tablet 3 10.1. It did not work. The card showed up as blank. So i went ahead and formatted it back to exFat. It then registered on both devices. While the sd card was in my phone, i went ahead and decided to format it right then and there through the phone. It is now working and i havent had any problems. So i think the best solution is to buy a whole new sd card and as soon as you put it in your device, format it through your device, so you have no problems else where. i think i fixed the problem. I formatted it through my phone (S4) and i havent had any problems so far. I took a couple videos/pictures. they are saving correctly. If i run into any more problems i will post. thanks for the time and i hope you fix any problems that arise.

Awesome. Glad you got it fixed :)
Formatting on the device is always the best way to ensure compatibility

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Try a Samsung 64GB microSD, I have had the best luck with them. I also keep a spare SanDisk but I don't care for their brand after amount of issues I have with corrupt files, lost data and general issues.

worktorest

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had problems with my 64gb sandisk ultra microsd too when I first got it. It kept giving me error messages that say my microsd is not mounted properly. I tried to remove it and put it back in, to no avail.

Sometimes the data capacity showed 20+ gb instead of anywhere close to 64gb. It got me scared at first whether I got a fake sandisk, but after formatting it in the S4, no more problems ensued.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

emkayca

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I had a Sandisk Ultra 32GB on my previous GS3 that got corrupted, and I learned that Sandisk had a known problem with corruption when used in Galaxies. Eventually, Sandisk agreed to replace the card. In the meantime, I saw a Sony 32 GB card on sale. I bought it, formatted it in the phone, and haven't had any problems since. When I upgraded to my GS4, I moved the card over and still haven't seen any problems.

Ariel Rodriguez1

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

So have you ran into any problems yet? And how can I format my card on my gs4 before I run into this problem cause I bought a 64gb sandisk and in other forums I read its better to get a samsung but others still are having problems so im planning to buy another 64gb but not sure which one and please explain how can I format it thank you

Lethalia

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm having these same types of problems on my GS4. After about 2 weeks of use on a new 64GB class 10 card, just out of nowhere, my card said it was unreadable. It told me I did not have permissions to save anything on it. Everything corrupted, folders and filenames changed to weird characters, then about 80% of everything on the card deleted itself. I was unable to do anything with it so I formatted the card using the phone but was still unable to save anything to it. Finally got it to where it let me copy files back on to it. I formatted and then copied files back to the card about 6 different times, same things happened over and over again. The card now lets me copy info to it, but within a couple of minutes, all the info on the card is gone. If it stays on there longer than a few minutes, as soon as I remove the data cable from the computer, the files corrupt or delete themselves. If they happen to stay that long, if I reboot the phone, corrupted and deleted files again. I removed the card, formatted it on my computer using exFAT with a USB adaptor, copied all my info back onto it, everything showed up fine connected with the adaptor, worked fine on other devices, stuck it back in the phone, and poof, everything disappeared. Removed it again, formatted it on the computer using NTFS, copied all info back to it, worked fine in another device, put it back in the phone, poof, all info gone again. Tried NTFS about 3 different times, but same things happen repeatedly. Formatted it another 3-4 times using the phone, copied files to it again while still in the phone each time, and corrupted and deleted itself over and over again... I've been doing this over and over again for about 3-4 days straight, trying to get ANYTHING to work, but NOTHING works. This is ridiculous.

Is it just better to buy a 32GB card instead of a 64GB? Does anyone know of so much trouble with 32? I have a lot of stuff I like to keep with me...

skyrail

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I have had kind of issues with sandisk ultra sdxc 64 Go class 10 and sdhc 32 Go, when used in S4 after S5.
When unmounted from the phone, and inserted in microsd to sd to usb adapter, windows claimed to analyse and repair, until I do it. After that, everything was fine even unmounted, inserted in phone and back in my pc usb slot.
But before, I could not write or delete files on my micro sd, winwindows, outside my phone (weird)
After reformatting to exfat from windows, it seems ok.
But, the first time, with the original format, the micro sd was fine.
The future will tell me if my S4 keep corrupting my microsd card.

Any way sandisk seems fast enough for 40 euros.

GoblinShart

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had kind of issues with sandisk ultra sdxc 64 Go class 10 and sdhc 32 Go, when used in S4 after S5.
When unmounted from the phone, and inserted in microsd to sd to usb adapter, windows claimed to analyse and repair, until I do it. After that, everything was fine even unmounted, inserted in phone and back in my pc usb slot.
But before, I could not write or delete files on my micro sd, winwindows, outside my phone (weird)
After reformatting to exfat from windows, it seems ok.
But, the first time, with the original format, the micro sd was fine.
The future will tell me if my S4 keep corrupting my microsd card.

Any way sandisk seems fast enough for 40 euros.

My wife and i both have Galaxy S4. We both bought brand new SanDisk 32 Gb micros (only used on S4). My wife's card said blank, format needed after about 9 months, and mine did the exact thing today, about 1 month after hers. My wife made the mistake of formatting & losing all data, however i have not formatted mine yet. I tried to plug it into other devices such as her phone, and my computer (all saying its blank). Any recovery options?

Jailee Inette

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
My wife and i both have Galaxy S4. We both bought brand new SanDisk 32 Gb micros (only used on S4). My wife's card said blank, format needed after about 9 months, and mine did the exact thing today, about 1 month after hers. My wife made the mistake of formatting & losing all data, however i have not formatted mine yet. I tried to plug it into other devices such as her phone, and my computer (all saying its blank). Any recovery options?

Any word on ability to recover your data? This same thing happened to me today! Have had my SanDisk 32GB SD card for about 10-11 months never had an issue! Transferred more photos from my phones memory to SD last night then this morning got the error in notifications up top that SD card is bank or had unsupported files!!! This has all my pictures from the last three years transferred to it! As my computer was destroyed by my ex! Please any help

Dtroopie

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Any word on ability to recover your data? This same thing happened to me today! Have had my SanDisk 32GB SD card for about 10-11 months never had an issue! Transferred more photos from my phones memory to SD last night then this morning got the error in notifications up top that SD card is bank or had unsupported files!!! This has all my pictures from the last three years transferred to it! As my computer was destroyed by my ex! Please any help

Hey. Did you end up fixing this issue? Happened to me today. Moved a file to it and it said it was blank. I formatted it on the phone, but it still keeps saying the same thing...

Jailee Inette

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Ugh no, I ended up losing every file on it! I'm so very very upset! Every pic of my kids taken within the last 3/4 years also app pics of myself in my journey of losing 100lbs!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund