Phone suddenly only charges at computer?

Feycat

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Up til this week, my phone has always charged fine at my bedside plug, my computer, and the plug in my craft room. Suddenly, it will only charge at my computer. Went out and bought two identical cables for my bedroom and the computer and plugged both in. Still, computer is the only place the the phone charges. My tablet (Kindle) recharges fine at all ports. Nothing in the phone system has changed in any way as far as I know, no new programs, the phone is not rooted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you also try replacing the charging plug​? These plugs can fail.

Feycat

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Do you mean the one that plugs into the wall? We're talking about 3 different outlets that it used to and won't charge at. Other devices charge there just fine.

Or do you mean the internal to the phone? If that was broken I assume that it would not charge at the computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I mean the charging block that plugs into the wall socket. When you say "outlets," I assume you mean the wall sockets. I'm talking about the block that you plug into the wall, and then connect the USB charging cable to.

Feycat

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
I mean the charging block that plugs into the wall socket. When you say "outlets," I assume you mean the wall sockets. I'm talking about the block that you plug into the wall, and then connect the USB charging cable to.

It's three different plugs. The chances that ALL of them failed at the same time, while still charging other devices, is not likely.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's three different plugs. The chances that ALL of them failed at the same time, while still charging other devices, is not likely.
Hi, welcome to AC!
You tried different outlets in the house? Also make sure the charger port in the phone is clean?

Feycat

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
I don't know if you're understanding me?

It's three different plugs. In different rooms. In different outlets.

The phone charges fine at my computer, but not at a wall outlet or in my car (which I tried yesterday.) It will also charge at my husband's computer. It will ONLY charge at computers, when previously it charged fine everywhere.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, just so that I'm absolutely sure that we're on the same page -- when we're talking about charging plugs, this is what we both mean, right?

2019-Mobile-Phone-Adaptive-Fast-Charging-USB-Adapter-Travel-Charger-for-Samsung-S4.jpg

So you've tried 3 different charging plugs similar to the one above, and none of them work?

(I'm not trying to be frustrating or snarky here -- the terminology of this piece of equipment can be confusing, since some people refer to a wall outlet as a "plug," or might consider a "charger" to be the cable, so I just want to make sure I'm fully understanding you.)

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I've seen this happen before. Here's a few articles that may help you...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...arge-unless-its-plugged-into-my-computer.html

https://thedroidguy.com/galaxy-s6-c...t-charge-via-regular-charger-problems-1056484

Interesting article about iPhones that could help..https://www.payetteforward.com/iphone-only-charges-laptop-car-not-wall-the-fix/

I hope this helps. It's looking like an issue with the electrical current. I knew I had seen this fix before. My friend had this issue herself as well. 😊

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, just so that I'm absolutely sure that we're on the same page -- when we're talking about charging plugs, this is what we both mean, right?

View attachment 330306

So you've tried 3 different charging plugs similar to the one above, and none of them work?

(I'm not trying to be frustrating or snarky here -- the terminology of this piece of equipment can be confusing, since some people refer to a wall outlet as a "plug," or might consider a "charger" to be the cable, so I just want to make sure I'm fully understanding you.)
I'm thinking she means USB wall outlets but maybe I'm mistaken.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking she means USB wall outlets but maybe I'm mistaken.

No she was pretty clear. She's tried everything to charge via an electrical outlet. The phone only charges on a pc. Again, I've seen this happen. It's an issue usually with voltage...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No she was pretty clear. She's tried everything to charge via an electrical outlet. The phone only charges on a pc. Again, I've seen this happen. It's an issue usually with voltage...

Ok, thanks! Let's see what the OP thinks after checking out those links.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If it was that clear then there wouldn't be so many questions back and forth

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if you're understanding me?

It's three different plugs. In different rooms. In different outlets.

The phone charges fine at my computer, but not at a wall outlet or in my car (which I tried yesterday.) It will also charge at my husband's computer. It will ONLY charge at computers, when previously it charged fine everywhere.
Thats what I wanted to confirm .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech