08-19-2013 02:15 PM
157 12345 ...
tools
    This thread has kinda scared me a little..lol. I have a ATT HTC One that I converted into a Developer Edition HTC One so that I get updates straight from HTC instead of ATT...lol. And was thinking about buying this Active full price and just selling my One to recoup some of the money I'm going to spend. I don't plan on taking it swimming either. My usage was gonna be at the waterparks taking pics of kids coming down the slide and whatnot.....Do anyone know if the headphone jack has a flap over that when not in use?
    robstunner likes this.
    06-22-2013 06:16 PM
    No it doesn't, as a matter of fact, when I took it back to the att store an error message kept showing up, saying your headset is connected

Posted via Android Central App
    06-22-2013 06:23 PM
    Not to discredit the OP's statement because I'm sure it's possible, but I can report no such issues. Soaked mine in a kitchen pan to test when I got home. It was completely submerged for several minutes. No issues. The battery door is very tricky and you need to make sure it's down all the way and press the center where the att logo is to hear a snap.
    06-22-2013 11:56 PM
    anyone know if the headphone jack has a flap over that when not in use?
    No, it's waterproof without a flap. Just need to shake or blow out the water in there when you get out of the pool.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4
    06-23-2013 04:47 PM
    Those that have a HTC One will be able to apply this technology to their phone in around a month.
    06-24-2013 12:59 PM
    Those that have a HTC One will be able to apply this technology to their phone in around a month.
    Just remember, that is liquid repellent. However, id love to see the details of their "warranty"
    06-24-2013 04:04 PM
    So I checked out this Liquipel service, and they don't have it for my phone (yet hopefully), but here's what I noticed on the site:

http://db.tt/jLlAwwnE

I had to share it to DropBox since AC Forums app doesn't want to upload the screenshot directly. -_-

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums
    06-24-2013 04:29 PM
    this is what you need.
    06-24-2013 05:53 PM
    , id love to see the details of their "warranty"
    Well while accidents do happen, but the best waterproofing is common sense. HERE is their warranty (terms of use).
    06-24-2013 06:05 PM
    How deep did you go? And were you there for more than 30 minutes?
    Did you not read his post Phil he gives a description of what happened and said it was never submerged just splashed on. I Love the Podcast and I know you can read come on now big guy !
    06-25-2013 11:01 PM
    USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE:

Shortly after I took the phone for a dip (in not very deep water), the display went kaput at least for several hours. It lit up just long enough to indicate that I had power, but I couldn't actually keep the display on and use it.

Roughly a day later, the screen came alive again, but the phone was still exhibiting finicky behavior, presumably because of water damage. The touch-screen was messed up and the device acted as if headphones were plugged in when they weren't. If this were my actual phone, I'd return to the store for a replacement.

I just got the S4 Active and seeing the article AND the above, you guys got me scared. I have 14 days to return the phone.

So is the problem because of a lose back cover (user's error) OR defective design on SOME batch of the phone?

I haven't dunk my phone in the water (yet). Actually, I am wondering: how does the phone reacts when water GOES into the HEADPHONE jack and SPEAKER?
    06-26-2013 05:04 PM
    There are specific instructions on the back on how to press it closed to ensure it is indeed closed. it took a couple of extra presses to ensure the lock of the back when I tested it
    I am wondering how do I KNOW that the back cover is PROPERLY closed? I mean, I hear the click when I pressed on all sides of the cover, but pressing the middle part (right underneath the LED - per Samsung instructions), I don't hear anything that indicate the cover is now "properly" closed and protecting the phone from water damage.
    06-26-2013 05:07 PM
    USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE
    LOL...Way to go samsung!

I think they call this phone 'active' because of all the extra time you have to spend going back and forth returning it....
    06-26-2013 05:26 PM
    LOL...Way to go samsung!

I think they call this phone 'active' because of all the extra time you have to spend going back and forth returning it....

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4
    aggie and skipatrol like this.
    06-26-2013 05:33 PM
    I am wondering how do I KNOW that the back cover is PROPERLY closed? I mean, I hear the click when I pressed on all sides of the cover, but pressing the middle part (right underneath the LED - per Samsung instructions), I don't hear anything that indicate the cover is now "properly" closed and protecting the phone from water damage.
    Seems to me that since one of the specific instructions is to press on the ATT Logo underneath the flash after you seal the back may be to create some sort of suction seal, since there is no click or anything like that. Its like pressing down on a suction cup....not sure, its my best guess...
    06-26-2013 07:02 PM
    Thank you.
    My husband was talking about herding an active... Now he isn't.
    Not a chance .
    It sounds weird how can it have the same back as the s4?
    I'd grab the s3 with the life proof. It worked well on the iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    06-26-2013 07:15 PM
    youtube review actually clarifies some things regarding the actives waterproofing and the battery hatch. Lifelike version of Tony Stark doing the review...
    paulhead likes this.
    06-27-2013 04:01 AM
    youtube review actually clarifies some things regarding the actives waterproofing and the battery hatch. Lifelike version of Tony Stark doing the review...
    wow, this made it 100% not worth buying. Thanks for the review!
    06-27-2013 04:55 AM
    Actually for me, it was a bit comforting and makes me think that the water damage seen in other reviews may have been the case of the batterycover not sufficiently put in place. If you are not too worried about the downgrade in camera pixels, it still seems to me that the active is to prefer against the regular S4. Even if it's not a phone you want to go swimming with, it's still better then a phone that does not withstand any water.
    Aquila and planoman like this.
    06-27-2013 05:15 AM
    I had a feeling it was not going to work better off getting the S4 and getting a waterproof case. And even then I wouldn't trust it. Water and phone don't mix well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-27-2013 05:24 AM
    If you put the phone in less than 3 feet of water with every thing on properly it is water resistant. You just have to make sure you have it sealed properly. There are too may stories and videos of this working. That does not mean 4 feet deel in a pool or spraying with a hose. It is IP67 rated, not ruggedized and shockproof etc. I will still have mine in a phone bag when going to the each.

Most of the issues are probably operator related just like many things that go wrong on a deive. If the limitiations of the device do not work for you fine but do not exceed the specs and come here and slam the phone.

If you want to take real pics unterwater etc get a Fujifilm FinePix XP200 (which is excellent by the way!) Just my .02 cents.
    06-27-2013 08:17 AM
    If you put the phone in less than 3 feet of water with every thing on properly it is water resistant. You just have to make sure you have it sealed properly. There are too may stories and videos of this working. That does not mean 4 feet deel in a pool or spraying with a hose. It is IP67 rated, not ruggedized and shockproof etc. I will still have mine in a phone bag when going to the each.

Most of the issues are probably operator related just like many things that go wrong on a deive. If the limitiations of the device do not work for you fine but do not exceed the specs and come here and slam the phone.

If you want to take real pics unterwater etc get a Fujifilm FinePix XP200 (which is excellent by the way!) Just my .02 cents.
    I wonder what is the purpose of the Aqua Mode if the phone cannot be submerged.
    06-27-2013 10:31 AM
    Who said it cannot be submerged? Up to one meter for 30 minutes under water. If you go deeper the pressure on the seals could fail and you get water inside. Taking a picture under water and swimming with the phone are different things in my view.

Pretty simple really.

I just offered up the fuji because it can go to 50 feet and is rugged and shock proof etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    06-27-2013 10:50 AM
    From a marketing standpoint, I'm sure it will sell a lot of phones...
    06-27-2013 11:06 AM
    I have been in the water a lot with the phone. I even went wake surfing with in my shorts pocket. The only two issues which are well known now, are the headset icon will appear in the notification area until all the water is out of the headset port and the microphone does not work well when water is in the port. IMHO you must ensure that the back is on there properly with NO gaps.
    deeddawg likes this.
    06-27-2013 03:43 PM
157 12345 ...