08-19-2013 02:15 PM
157 ... 4567
tools
    Put mine in a bowl of water and indeed the screen stopped working.
    Not on my Active.. works flawlessly in a bowl of water for 15 minutes.
    07-08-2013 06:03 PM
    Once again, you're relying on marketing to make this statement. Have you or anyone you know done this? Can you attest to the fact that it works? Would you be willing to take the chance with your device and do something like this? I doubt it. Please, only post what you actually know, rather than speculating.
    I know this works and am the one who posted it and AngelARS saw it. I sent my daughters new (at the time) iphone 4s to be done and it works amazingly. She washes it every night (makeup etc). The process seals all the electronics from shorting out. If electronics come into contact with liquid it is the short that ruins them. The liquipel process stops the shorting out process. They put their money where their mouth is and warranty the phone from water damage from what I recall. More than Samsung or ATT does... I would much more trust this method over the S4 Active case and seals etc. I bought the S4 Active three days after it came out. I paid $644 for it. I took it back after a week because there are just too many things that can go wrong with the phone many of which you are seeing here on this thread. For some reason the USB cover bugged me. That will break off in a few months...then what?

As I was returning my S4 Active, I bought a Lifeproof case for my iphone 5...with my accessory discount it was $64. Ironically 10X less than the S4A. I have used it several times in the pool etc since getting it. I even took it down some water slides and filmed it while we were in San Antonio for the 4th. I think the active is a great idea but maybe not quite up to what I want. I think the design will evolve.

Just to clairfy, I am not recommending the Liquipel as a better alternative to the S4 Active. It is amazing to submerge an iphone with any case in water and see no issues, but it should be a precaution not use as a waterproof or rugged phone. It seems the S4 Active ads are fueling an issue I would not want to be a part of. In my opinon if you want to take pictures and video in the water etc your best bet is a waterproof, rugged point and shoot or a lifeproof or OBEX case. Just my 2 cents.

To those of you who have it, enjoy it but I would surely have insurance on it...
    07-08-2013 06:14 PM
    I know this works and am the one who posted it and AngelARS saw it. I sent my daughters new (at the time) iphone 4s to be done and it works amazingly. She washes it every night (makeup etc). The process seals all the electronics from shorting out. If electronics come into contact with liquid it is the short that ruins them. The liquipel process stops the shorting out process. They put their money where their mouth is and warranty the phone from water damage from what I recall. More than Samsung or ATT does... I would much more trust this method over the S4 Active case and seals etc. I bought the S4 Active three days after it came out. I paid $644 for it. I took it back after a week because there are just too many things that can go wrong with the phone many of which you are seeing here on this thread.
    THANK YOU planoman for posting! And thank you for pointing out this incredible new technology. Appreciate it, even if some people don't. Did Liquipel mention if your daughters phone was a level 1, 2, or 3? More about levels here.

To those of you who have it, enjoy it but I would surely have insurance on it...
    Which ironically may cost more than the Liquipel
    07-08-2013 06:38 PM
    THANK YOU planoman for posting! And thank you for pointing out this incredible new technology. Appreciate it, even if some people don't. Did Liquipel mention if your daughters phone was a level 1, 2, or 3? More about levels here.

Which ironically may cost more than the Liquipel
    I am sure it is level III. I paid to get the expedited service and you also have to pay for them to ship it back. I think I paid for 2 day FedEx so I think it was 90-100 for the whole thing as I recall. I will send my S4 to get done once I get a back up personal phone. I sold my Nexus 4 and Note 2 to get one of the Google Edition phones so it won't be long now.
    07-08-2013 06:48 PM
    It seems the S4 Active ads are fueling an issue I would not want to be a part of. In my opinon if you want to take pictures and video in the water etc your best bet is a waterproof, rugged point and shoot or a lifeproof or OBEX case. Just my 2 cents.

Please show me the Active advertisement showing users taking pictures and video under water.

There isn't one.
    07-08-2013 07:10 PM
    Please show me the Active advertisement showing users taking pictures and video under water.

There isn't one.
    Not sure of the point you are trying to make? Are you saying the aqua mode is to take pictures & video out of the water?

After my lengthy post you come away with that? Ok I can play too...Although it looks like I was talking solely about water, I was not, but we have seen on this thread how that is a hit or miss proposition. And since you manage a store, tell us how you would handle someone who brings in a S4 Active with water damage? Exchange it no questions asked?

Ok how about pulling the phone out of the sand while the kids bury you in the sand at the beach...that made be cringe...better?
    07-08-2013 07:19 PM
    Tell us how you would handle someone who brings in a S4 Active with water damage? Exchange it no questions asked?

Ok how about pulling the phone out of the sand while the kids bury you in the sand at the beach...that made be cringe...better?
    Your first question, I don't manage an AT&T store. Another carrier. And it really depends on what I am looking at. We all have guidelines and such to look for when replacing phones. Hell Apple gave us an entire class on what to look for in returns, etc.

What happens when your Lifeproof case fails? Cause they do. Look at their FB page, it has plenty of people complaining that their phones have been ruined because of their faulty product. Or maybe, just maybe it was user error. Like I believe some of these broken, water damaged Actives are. My issue with these "complaints" are that nobody seems to own up to the fact that he/she may have no entirely checked things out prior to getting the phone wet. Maybe a seal was missed, maybe that time you swapped out your battery real quickly the night before, you did not think to check against all seals. I am a realist and I get that there are manufacturer errors, there always will be but it's not always the case.
    I also have the issue with people who expect to take these phones out swimming, rafting, tubing, what have you and still have their phones functioning after. The phone is not designed for that activity. Samsung nor AT&T have advertised this phone as such. I expect that if my son spills a glass of juice on the table and it rushed toward and under my phone that it will be fine. I expect that if I am taking a **** and I accidentally drop it in the toilet that after grabbing it quickly and running it under fresh water, it will be fine. I don't expect unrealistic results as others here are.

I am not sure why you're being a smart *** and I am trying to be a civil as I can.
    07-08-2013 08:06 PM

There isn't one.
    It's on the ATT site (Take pics underwater with Aqua Mode). Click where it says Videos. First video on left. It's also in the owners manual.

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active - Urban Gray cell phone from AT&T
    planoman likes this.
    07-08-2013 08:07 PM
    It's on the ATT site (Take pics underwater with Aqua Mode). Click where it says Videos. First video on left. It's also in the owners manual.

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active - Urban Gray cell phone from AT&T
    Thank you. And that would be AT&T for actually showing this example and for the influx of people who go out and try this and end up with a broken phone. There are plenty of people on YouTube who have made videos of them taking their phones into a pool and they have come out just fine. Then you get the others who have done just that and ended up with a water damaged phone. Was it user error? Or was it a bad phone, with a bad seal or something? That's what is hard to figure out sometimes. Of course people who I come in contact with never take ownership of their possible mistake. It's ALWAYS something that went wrong with the phone. A guy who dropped his phone on the concrete last week brought his phone in (with a broken screen) and asked for a replacement (no insurance)...he blamed LG for not making the glass strong enough even after admitting that the phone feel off the top of his car as he pulled away.
    07-08-2013 08:15 PM
    Your first question, I don't manage an AT&T store. Another carrier. And it really depends on what I am looking at. We all have guidelines and such to look for when replacing phones. Hell Apple gave us an entire class on what to look for in returns, etc.

What happens when your Lifeproof case fails? Cause they do. Look at their FB page, it has plenty of people complaining that their phones have been ruined because of their faulty product. Or maybe, just maybe it was user error. Like I believe some of these broken, water damaged Actives are. My issue with these "complaints" are that nobody seems to own up to the fact that he/she may have no entirely checked things out prior to getting the phone wet. Maybe a seal was missed, maybe that time you swapped out your battery real quickly the night before, you did not think to check against all seals. I am a realist and I get that there are manufacturer errors, there always will be but it's not always the case.
    I also have the issue with people who expect to take these phones out swimming, rafting, tubing, what have you and still have their phones functioning after. The phone is not designed for that activity. Samsung nor AT&T have advertised this phone as such. I expect that if my son spills a glass of juice on the table and it rushed toward and under my phone that it will be fine. I expect that if I am taking a **** and I accidentally drop it in the toilet that after grabbing it quickly and running it under fresh water, it will be fine. I don't expect unrealistic results as others here are.

I am not sure why you're being a smart *** and I am trying to be a civil as I can.
    While It is hard to decipher tone in an email I would ask you to review the threads...civility may not be your strong suit...however, I agree that it is hard to distinguish operator error from a defect which is why I discussed the ads and how they may cause issues when owners do the things they see in the ads and get trouble...some may be defects but I suspect many stores will assume operator error and I did not want to own a phone is that classification. Just my thoughts. I think we are actually in agreement on this issue.

Having owned this lifeproof case for 2 weeks I would certainly trust it over the S4 Active. But I think it was just fad as I do own an Olympus TG2 rugged camera which is certainly waterproof to 50 feet. I do like the dust proof and rugged aspect of the lifeproof case probably more than the water proof features. Although I do not think twice about taking my iphone in or near the pool and or water.

As I said, I am not trying to convince anyone to get or not get an S4 Active. Just discussing my experiences with the S4 Active, Lifeproof cases and Liquipel.
    07-08-2013 08:33 PM
    And that would be AT&T for actually showing this example and for the influx of people who go out and try this and end up with a broken phone.
    Huh? This is not on the samsung site. It's a ATT s4 version. You said " Samsung nor AT&T have advertised this phone as such" and you were clearly wrong. They do. Examples of using this phone while swimming are shown more than once. It's marketed that way. The hype doesn't deliver. Would love to see data on how many have already been returned. I'll bet its high. Lots of threads about people complaining about this model around. Here's another.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...aterproof.html
    07-08-2013 08:42 PM
    Huh? This is not on the samsung site. It's a ATT s4 version. You said " Samsung nor AT&T have advertised this phone as such" and you were clearly wrong. They do. Examples of using this phone while swimming are shown more than once. It's marketed that way. The hype doesn't deliver. Would love to see data on how many have already been returned. I'll bet its high. Lots of threads about people complaining about this model around. Here's another.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...aterproof.html
    Samsung makes the phone. The designed it. They manufactured it. The commercials appear to be from AT&T. And the only one I had seen up until today was the TV spot, but talking about the spot, it only shows what the phone is really designed for. Accidental submersion, etc. The arent touting to take out the phone and hit the pool with it.

However today, another user pointed out that the website (AT&T) has a video of the phone and it being submerged while the user takes photos. I think them showing that makes a hard case for them to turn down returns. Samsung warranty says they dont cover water damage...AT&T shows the phone under water while taking photos. It's contradicting.
    07-08-2013 08:49 PM
    Samsung makes the phone. The designed it. They manufactured it. The commercials appear to be from AT&T. And the only one I had seen up until today was the TV spot, but talking about the spot, it only shows what the phone is really designed for. Accidental submersion, etc. The arent touting to take out the phone and hit the pool with it.

However today, another user pointed out that the website (AT&T) has a video of the phone and it being submerged while the user takes photos. I think them showing that makes a hard case for them to turn down returns. Samsung warranty says they dont cover water damage...AT&T shows the phone under water while taking photos. It's contradicting.
    I hear what you are saying and agree but as discussed the S4 Active has an Aqua Mode which is designed to take pictures under water. In fact, as I recall the mode selector for aqua mode has a picture of someone under water? So does not Samsung share in this liability if it does, in fact, exist?
    07-08-2013 08:56 PM
    Samsung makes the phone. The designed it. They manufactured it. The commercials appear to be from AT&T.
    Then provide a link to the phone from the samsung website.

I'll wait for the link.

Every phone comes with a owners manual. Open the one from the active up and look up Aqua Mode.

ATT didn't put that there.
    07-08-2013 09:02 PM
    Then provide a link to the phone from the samsung website.

I'll wait for the link.

Every phone comes with a owners manual. Open the one from the active up and look up Aqua Mode.

ATT didn't put that there.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Active | ATT Android Smartphone | Samsung Mobile

And they mention on the site "Aqua Mode Means You Can Capture Your Poolside Experience from Inside the Pool" which is misleading and confusing to consumers who follow all the necessary precautions in sealing their phone, take it in the water, use it and break it. It's pretty apparent when you look at the phone that it isnt what I would call a safe submersible phone. I made that mistake the day I got it, it did not break but once you crack on the back, look at the "seal" and compare it to those found on a Lifeproof or the Armor, it doesnt make you feel confident that it will last while submerged.

I wash my Active and I take it in the shower and listen to music...And I trust it on the quick dunk in water (accidental). But I don't trust it enough to go under water. No matter what AT&T and Samsung claim. Yes they do make those claims above but I won't do it. Just like I won't do it when I get a Liquipel coating.

I feel my opinion would be different if AT&T had commercials airing showing usage underwater. But they do not.
    07-08-2013 09:14 PM
    And they mention on the site "Aqua Mode Means You Can Capture Your Poolside Experience from Inside the Pool".
    They go farther than that. They specifically say "Aqua Mode lets you take pictures under water".

I have seen Liquipel phones tested under water for longer than they mention. I think they are just playing it safe since the company is young. I would cringe if I put an s4 sctive under water, but I wouldn't hesitate putting a Liquipel phone under water at all. I know someone who made their money back from a Liquipel phone by betting someone. Liquipel is also looking to use this tech on other things like clothing and airplane wings, ect. It's cool tech and can only get better with time.
    07-08-2013 09:37 PM
    I just got bit by this too!! I lightly rinsed it off in the sink, and there's water in the phone now. I made 100% sure that the rear cover was on properly before rinsing it.

There's 100% a problem with the design. I am thinking it leaked in from the three buttons up front.
    07-08-2013 09:41 PM
    I just got bit by this too!! I lightly rinsed it off in the sink, and there's water in the phone now. I made 100% sure that the rear cover was on properly before rinsing it.

There's 100% a problem with the design. I am thinking it leaked in from the three buttons up front.
    Did water went INSIDE the RUBBER seal? If not, I think you're good.

This is the same thing with my phone but as long as water do not go inside the area protected by the rubber deal, I am good.
    07-09-2013 02:05 AM
    Did water went INSIDE the RUBBER seal? If not, I think you're good.

This is the same thing with my phone but as long as water do not go inside the area protected by the rubber deal, I am good.
    Yes, water penetrated past the rubber seal, but I don't believe the seal is at fault. I personally think it came in through the front three buttons up front, as those stopped working first.

Two of the three moisture sensor stickers are now bright red.
    07-09-2013 04:36 AM
    Sorry to spam the thread, but for those of you with still working GS4A's, make sure this seal on your phone is properly seated. It's a very poorly designed rubber seal/grommet/plug that covers a hole directly into the phone. This wasn't the issue on mine, but after disassembling it, I noticed how poorly done this bit is, and how it could ruin your day quickly.

anon(220176) likes this.
    07-09-2013 04:39 AM
    After reading this thread it's safe to say one seems to be a hit or miss on it being resistant or whatever.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    07-09-2013 07:50 AM
    After reading this thread it's safe to say one seems to be a hit or miss on it being resistant or whatever.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    I would not take a few users who have had problems out of the thousands that have been sold and that are probably working just fine as your deciding factor. We are a very small group that takes to these forums compared to the countless others out these. To each his own though.
    07-09-2013 10:05 AM
    Yeah, this isn't normal. Isn't there a possibility that this was a defective device?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Or that he didn't have the back cover on correctly? I read on ac that you have to push the back down a specific way for the rubber ring to seal to make it waterproof.
    07-13-2013 09:30 AM
    Or that he didn't have the back cover on correctly? I read on ac that you have to push the back down a specific way for the rubber ring to seal to make it waterproof.
    It's easy to hear the seal on the perimiter of the phone (snaps) but some don't hear the snap in the center under the flash. It's also important to look at the border all around to make sure the seal is flush with the phone...or the battery door is flush I should say.
    07-13-2013 06:30 PM
    I would not take a few users who have had problems out of the thousands that have been sold and that are probably working just fine as your deciding factor. We are a very small group that takes to these forums compared to the countless others out these. To each his own though.
    I think the more likely scenario is that people are not actually getting them in water right away. Of the few that are, a significant (statistically) number of them are having problems, and of those, a very small number are on this particular forum complaining. I think a good percentage of those with malfunctioning phones are being told "GTFO w/that water damaged phone" at the corporate stores like I was, but don't have a forum to complain in. I had a ton of problems swapping my Active out that had water behind the screen from the headphone jack, and came out into the gasketed area from the hole above the water damage indicator on the battery. None of the damage indicators were triggered, but that didn't stop them from telling me to go pound sand. I had to complain to the warranty dept at at&t.

Between all the various forums people are complaining in, that's a pretty high percentage for seal failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2013 01:33 AM
157 ... 4567