Just got the phone, went swimming, does NOT work

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE:

Shortly after I took the phone for a dip (in not very deep water), the display went kaput ? at least for several hours. It lit up just long enough to indicate that I had power, but I couldn't actually keep the display on and use it.

Roughly a day later, the screen came alive again, but the phone was still exhibiting finicky behavior, presumably because of water damage. The touch-screen was messed up and the device acted as if headphones were plugged in when they weren't. If this were my actual phone, I'd return to the store for a replacement.

I just got the S4 Active and seeing the article AND the above, you guys got me scared. I have 14 days to return the phone.

So is the problem because of a lose back cover (user's error) OR defective design on SOME batch of the phone?

I haven't dunk my phone in the water (yet). Actually, I am wondering: how does the phone reacts when water GOES into the HEADPHONE jack and SPEAKER?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There are specific instructions on the back on how to press it closed to ensure it is indeed closed. it took a couple of extra presses to ensure the lock of the back when I tested it

I am wondering how do I KNOW that the back cover is PROPERLY closed? I mean, I hear the click when I pressed on all sides of the cover, but pressing the middle part (right underneath the LED - per Samsung instructions), I don't hear anything that indicate the cover is now "properly" closed and protecting the phone from water damage.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE
LOL...Way to go samsung!

I think they call this phone 'active' because of all the extra time you have to spend going back and forth returning it....

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
LOL...Way to go samsung!

I think they call this phone 'active' because of all the extra time you have to spend going back and forth returning it....

u6y3e4eq.jpg

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering how do I KNOW that the back cover is PROPERLY closed? I mean, I hear the click when I pressed on all sides of the cover, but pressing the middle part (right underneath the LED - per Samsung instructions), I don't hear anything that indicate the cover is now "properly" closed and protecting the phone from water damage.

Seems to me that since one of the specific instructions is to press on the ATT Logo underneath the flash after you seal the back may be to create some sort of suction seal, since there is no click or anything like that. Its like pressing down on a suction cup....not sure, its my best guess...

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.
My husband was talking about herding an active... Now he isn't.
Not a chance .
It sounds weird how can it have the same back as the s4?
I'd grab the s3 with the life proof. It worked well on the iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mangan

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This youtube review actually clarifies some things regarding the actives waterproofing and the battery hatch. Lifelike version of Tony Stark doing the review... :)

Mangan

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually for me, it was a bit comforting and makes me think that the water damage seen in other reviews may have been the case of the batterycover not sufficiently put in place. If you are not too worried about the downgrade in camera pixels, it still seems to me that the active is to prefer against the regular S4. Even if it's not a phone you want to go swimming with, it's still better then a phone that does not withstand any water.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a feeling it was not going to work better off getting the S4 and getting a waterproof case. And even then I wouldn't trust it. Water and phone don't mix well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you put the phone in less than 3 feet of water with every thing on properly it is water resistant. You just have to make sure you have it sealed properly. There are too may stories and videos of this working. That does not mean 4 feet deel in a pool or spraying with a hose. It is IP67 rated, not ruggedized and shockproof etc. I will still have mine in a phone bag when going to the each.

Most of the issues are probably operator related just like many things that go wrong on a deive. If the limitiations of the device do not work for you fine but do not exceed the specs and come here and slam the phone.

If you want to take real pics unterwater etc get a Fujifilm FinePix XP200 (which is excellent by the way!) Just my .02 cents.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
If you put the phone in less than 3 feet of water with every thing on properly it is water resistant. You just have to make sure you have it sealed properly. There are too may stories and videos of this working. That does not mean 4 feet deel in a pool or spraying with a hose. It is IP67 rated, not ruggedized and shockproof etc. I will still have mine in a phone bag when going to the each.

Most of the issues are probably operator related just like many things that go wrong on a deive. If the limitiations of the device do not work for you fine but do not exceed the specs and come here and slam the phone.

If you want to take real pics unterwater etc get a Fujifilm FinePix XP200 (which is excellent by the way!) Just my .02 cents.

I wonder what is the purpose of the Aqua Mode if the phone cannot be submerged.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what is the purpose of the Aqua Mode if the phone cannot be submerged.

Who said it cannot be submerged? Up to one meter for 30 minutes under water. If you go deeper the pressure on the seals could fail and you get water inside. Taking a picture under water and swimming with the phone are different things in my view.

Pretty simple really.

I just offered up the fuji because it can go to 50 feet and is rugged and shock proof etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Mddmx#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been in the water a lot with the phone. I even went wake surfing with in my shorts pocket. The only two issues which are well known now, are the headset icon will appear in the notification area until all the water is out of the headset port and the microphone does not work well when water is in the port. IMHO you must ensure that the back is on there properly with NO gaps.

2Tall_TityBoi

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Currently using the GS4 Active and all I have to say is it is a lot tougher than the regular S4 it feels much less "flimsy" and has a slight weight to it that I personally enjoy. As far as it being waterproof? I'm not going to go dipping my phone in glasses of water to see lol. I really just got the phone for a "just in case" situation where I might accidentally drop my phone in water or something of that degree. It's a great phone just think of it as a GS4 that hit the weight room a little more and that's what it is.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca