Just got the phone, went swimming, does NOT work

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
This is really surprising, the phone should submerge to 3 meters for 30 minutes according to Samsung !!
According to samsung? I think you mean according to samsungs marketing department, because "samsung" specifically states that it's not covered under warranty (yeah I know, they're talking out of both sides of their mouth. Typical big company. so what's new?).

What is not covered?
This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of the Product. This Limited Warranty does not cover: (a) defects or damage resulting from accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to liquid, moisture, dampness, sand or dirt, neglect, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress; (b) scratches, dents and cosmetic damage, unless caused by SAMSUNG

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
According to samsung? I think you mean according to samsungs marketing department, because "samsung" specifically states that it's not covered under warranty (yeah I know, they're talking out of both sides of their mouth. Typical big company. so what's new?).

Many companies were sued for deceptive marketing. What matter is: will anyone sue Samsung for the water proof issue?

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember the disclaimer on the bottom of the screen initially. Or maybe I am just now starting to pay attention...
Kind of like those medicine commercials where they tell you that their medicine has a "few" side effects like joint problems, infections, cancer, breathing problems, pancreatitis, gagging, seizures, heart problems and your yo-yo may fall off, but oh yeah, "don't forget to ask your doctor if Happypills are right for you." LOL...

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Kind of like those medicine commercials where they tell you that their medicine has a "few" side effects like joint problems, infections, cancer, breathing problems, pancreatitis, gagging, seizures, heart problems and your yo-yo may fall off, but oh yeah, "don't forget to ask your doctor if Happypills are right for you." LOL...
or dink pills :confused:

MikeJones916

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you might have received a defective model.

i used mine in my pool for over an hour (in less than 5 feet of water) and other than the earphone issue it is flawless.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
All I did was put it half way in my sink camera side first. For 30 seconds and I already had water under the battery door but none past the seal.

I dobt plan to go swimming with it but in case something water related happens im happy this phone has w much better chwnce of survival compared to any other flagship out right now.

Posted via Android Central App

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
im happy this phone has w much better chwnce of survival compared to any other flagship out right now.
Hold on there, that's not true. You cannot make blanket statements like that. Any smartphone can be waterproofed, and it will work much better than your Active. I'm sending my phone in next month to have the process applied and when I get it back it will be much more waterproof than yours. Gotta love technology. See the video below;

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok. What I meant is right out of box without having to send your phone out and pay additional money.

Posted via Android Central App

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Only know what you actually post. Thanks for the clarification.

The active is around $200 On-Contract, $595 Outright. The waterproofing I linked to above costs around 50.00 and as you can see in the video, unlike the Active, actually works. I would think that someone attracted to this type of device would feel more secure getting a stock s4 and then just having it waterproofed, knowing that it will actually be waterproofed, instead of relying on hyped marketing claims. The downside is that you will be without your phone for a couple of days, but that can be remedied by simply planning ahead. Just a thought.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

The active is around $200 On-Contract, $595 Outright. The waterproofing I linked to above costs around 50.00 and as you can see in the video, unlike the Active, actually works. I would think that someone attracted to this type of device would feel more secure getting a stock s4 and then just having it waterproofed, knowing that it will actually be waterproofed, instead of relying on hyped marketing claims. The downside is that you will be without your phone for a couple of days, but that can be remedied by simply planning ahead. Just a thought.

My Active has worked just fine in water. Many times. I lasted for at least 30 seconds at the bottom of a 6 foot pool. Been to the beach once and I have rinsed it under the sink countless times. I don't think it is matter of "hyped" marketing "claims". I think it is a combination of defective phones and user error (not properly sealing it). In watching the commercial for the phone (AT&T maybe put it together vs Samsung), the clips are of:

The phone getting covered in spaghettios and then being quickly rinsed
A coffee spill on it
Tide coming in over the phone
A quick dunk in a small fish bowl
Dude gets splashed on the street
Champagne celebration
A drop in some flour
Sudden sprinkler activation
A guy gets thrown (or falls) in a pool but grabs his phone instead of leaving it in pocket
Beach sand coverage

Point being is that they aren't showing people out doing heavy water activities (white water rafting, deep swimming, etc). I think people tend to gloss over certain details/specs when they learn about these products and the actual capabilities. I made the mistake myself when I first came home and dunked the thing in 6 feet of water (mainly because I thought that the depth was deeper than what it really was). Perfect example.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I lasted for at least 30 seconds at the bottom of a 6 foot pool.
Wow a whole 30 seconds? Thanks for verifying my point. Any phone treated with Liqipel would last indefinitely. You could literally throw your phone in a lake and come back a month later, and besides the battery being dead the phone would still work (once recharged). If it's defective phones as you said then samsung has a real lack of quality control because I've heard about this countless times, and the phone was just released. I'm glad your phone is one of the exceptions to the rule but as you can see in this review there IS a real problem with the phone not delivering as promised.

Clickity-Click

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow a whole 30 seconds? Thanks for verifying my point. Any phone treated with Liqipel would last indefinitely. You could literally throw your phone in a lake and come back a month later, and besides the battery being dead the phone would still work (once recharged). If it's defective phones as you said then samsung has a real lack of quality control because I've heard about this countless times, and the phone was just released. I'm glad your phone is one of the exceptions to the rule but as you can see in this review there IS a real problem with the phone not delivering as promised.

Clickity-Click

It still lasted in water deeper than what they advertised it. I don't need to take my phone with me every friggin' where I go. This phone serves my purposes just fine. I feel comfortable knowing that if I accidentally drop this in the toilet (done it before with an S3) it will be fine. If I take it to the coast, it's going to be fine.

"...the phone not delivering as promised." The same will be said about ANY product that has a defect. First gen iPad I bought locked up every time I streamed a video. I took it back. Got another one and it worked just fine. First batch on Lifeproof cases that released had a terrible problem with bubbling on the screen protector. They replaced it. I did not huff and puff and throw my hands up in the air ******** about not delivering as promised. Things happen. Millions of these things will be manufactured. The OP got a bum unit probably.

You have heard countless times about this "problem" and I have read/ "heard"/ and viewed more SUCCESS stories. So take it for what it is. One person has a failure and talks about it (which is a good thing), and everyone heads for the hills. lol.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Excuse me sir, but is that not what you're doing yourself? If you look at the website for Liquipel, specifically the "shop" page seen here you will note that the manufacturer states, to cover themselves like Samsung does, "Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid." How is this different than what Samsung is advertising with the Active? Both say that the device will be waterproofed and last in water; however, BOTH also say that they don't cover nor are responsible for any damage caused to your device by water.

It is YOU who is relying on hyped marketing claims, my friend.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Clickity-Click

Once again, you're relying on marketing to make this statement. Have you or anyone you know done this? Can you attest to the fact that it works? Would you be willing to take the chance with your device and do something like this? I doubt it. Please, only post what you actually know, rather than speculating.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with Joe_Perone. This phone is NOT designed for heavy rugged activities like deep snorkeling, leaving it in water for a really long time, etc.

I bought it because it offer MORE protection than regular phone when it comes to dust and water damage, out of the box. If I go to the beach, I can carry my phone and leave it there without worry about dust or water damage.

Side note: love the LCD screen. .. very viewable under the sun!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Once again, you're relying on marketing to make this statement. Have you or anyone you know done this? Can you attest to the fact that it works? Would you be willing to take the chance with your device and do something like this? I doubt it. Please, only post what you actually know, rather than speculating.

Well put.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
...it offers MORE protection than regular phone when it comes to dust and water damage, out of the box. If I go to the beach, I can carry my phone and leave it there without worry about dust or water damage.

Exactly! This is the kind of marketing that these commercials seem to be conveying. I don't know why everyone assumes they can go balls to the wall and expect this phone to perform in conditions that it is not designed for.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I don't part with my money easily.

Absolutely. It has been extensively tested.

They have recently miniaturized their equipment, so soon you'll see it at many retailers and be able to test it for yourself.

To add on this:

Direct from Liquipel FAQ:

Q: My device has been treated with Liquipel; can I take it swimming or surfing ?
A: No, the Liquipel treatment is a preventative coating and is meant to protect the internal, vital components of electronics from liquid corrosion in the event of accidental liquid exposure. Just as you would not intentionally throw your device on the ground after purchasing a case, you would not want to intentionally submerge your device in liquid after having Liquipel applied.

Your statement: "you could literally throw your phone in a lake and come back a month later, and besides the battery being dead the phone would still work (once recharged)."
is nonsense. I am moving away from this thread now since I have fed you enough. Please do share your thoughts on Liquipel when you get your phone back.

Basically, Liquipel is claiming that their product will do just about what the Active was designed to do, minus this product protecting the INTERNALS. Go and read the FAQ's. Again, gloss over syndrome with this guy.

Enjoy your week.