Is the S4 Active REALLY waterproof?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE:

Shortly after I took the phone for a dip (in not very deep water), the display went kaput ? at least for several hours. It lit up just long enough to indicate that I had power, but I couldn't actually keep the display on and use it.

Roughly a day later, the screen came alive again, but the phone was still exhibiting finicky behavior, presumably because of water damage. The touch-screen was messed up and the device acted as if headphones were plugged in when they weren't. If this were my actual phone, I'd return to the store for a replacement.

I just got the S4 Active and thought I am not planning to take the phone for a long underwater activities, I am concerned that I am getting a phone that have a very weak water resistant feature.

Not sure if this is because the reviewer didn't "properly" close the battery cover / USB port, but I have seen S4 Active review and Samsung Event videos where the phone was submerged in water for a long time and it still works.

PS: Have ANYONE tried to dunk their phone in the water for testing?
tongue.gif

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
There was actually a forum member here that said their S4 Active got wet and it didn't work after that. Maybe a defect with the initial releases? You'd think this would be something Samsung would have tested vigorously since this feature is their focal point.

Here's the post.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There was actually a forum member here that said their S4 Active got wet and it didn't work after that. Maybe a defect with the initial releases? You'd think this would be something Samsung would have tested vigorously since this feature is their focal point.

Here's the post.

Thanks for this! I will join the discussion over there!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this! I will join the discussion over there!
I didn't mean for you to abandon this thread, sorry if it came out that way. I just meant that people have reported it here and now it's in the news. No good for Sammy.....LOL

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean for you to abandon this thread, sorry if it came out that way. I just meant that people have reported it here and now it's in the news. No good for Sammy.....LOL

No worries man. I think it's good that we have 1 thread for the same problem.

I bought this phone outright without contract and now worried this phone is not really waterproof. :(

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
First thing I did when I got home with my Active was dunked it my pool. Seriously, walked through the door pretending to be mad, through the living room back through the deck and with it in hand I chucked it in the deep end. My GF was in the pool with her friends and went right after it yelling "WHAT THE HELL!?". Lol.

It was under for about 30 seconds. Worked just fine after.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen an S4 active personally but the reviews said that the battery cover needs to pushed hard for it to fit and get the clips in. Maybe it was open a little?

Posted via Android Central App

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen an S4 active personally but the reviews said that the battery cover needs to pushed hard for it to fit and get the clips in. Maybe it was open a little?

Posted via Android Central App

I made sure of this before doing my little experiment. There is a seal in the middle, right under the camera that needs to be pushed down until you feel it sit nice and snug. It could easily be missed if one chooses not to read the instructions or look at the sticker that is there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay