Had my S4 for a couple of months now. Having a problem with excessive battery drain . . . sometimes.

Around my home town (BC, Canada), I can easily get a day to day and a half per charge. 4G service

Recently spent a long weekend in a nearby small town that had 3G service and I suddenly am charging it at least twice a day.

Right now an in the US. Phone is on Airplane mode with WiFi on and battery life is plummeting. Turn off WiFi, turn off GPS and battery life still plummeting.

I am really new to Smartphones so am guessing a lot. Looking at the Battery Manager, I see the largest usage by "Media" of 64%. The "Included Packages" are:
    Media Storage
    DRM Protected Content Storage
    Downloads
    Download Manager

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to turn a bunch of stuff off as I like the functionality but I don't want to have to be charging it 2 or 3 times a day either.
    09-04-2013 12:59 PM
    Hello

Are you using a sdcard in your device? If so this could be related to corrupt media or possibly the card itself.

There has been various threads concerning this and it could be why your having the battery drain.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    09-04-2013 01:15 PM
    Do you have an SD Card inserted? This phone, unfortunately, has a bad rep of not liking most SD Cards, so it will cause some random failures like unmounts/remounts. Everytime the card re-mounts, the system scans it for errors, thus depleting your battery especially if you have a large number of files in there.

Try removing the card and see if this is the culprit.
    09-04-2013 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the replys.

The SD Card seems to be causing the problem.

Pulled it out and the drain has stopped.

The card is a SanDisk Ultra 32GB

How do I determine if it is bad or incompatible?
    09-04-2013 02:30 PM
    If it's a SanDisk and 32GB those are the most incompatible ones for some reason. If the card was manufactured before December 2011 and you let SanDisk know you have a new Samsung device, they'll exchange the card for a new one.
    09-04-2013 04:00 PM
    Contacted SanDisk. I don't think it was an older manufactured card. They had me reformat it and all seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all your help.
    09-06-2013 01:11 AM