My S4 active is NOT receiving texts from iPhones with iOS 7

danvnguyen

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Okay this might be lengthy since I need to paint the whole picture of what happened.

About 3 weeks ago, I switched to the Galaxy S4 active from an iPhone 5. Immediately after the switch, I realized I wasn't getting text messages sent to me from people with iPhones. This was because I have an iPad, and the iMessages on my iPad was turned on, so those messages went straight to my iPad instead of my S4. After I turned off iMessages on my iPad, the problem was solved....

...... until iOS 7 came out. Over this weekend, I realized I wasn't getting more than half the messages sent to me. And it turns out, all of my friends with iOS 7 are sending me text messages as iMessages again, even though iMessages is turned OFF on my iPad. The only solution I've figured out for now is to turn my iMessages back on on my iPad and message iOS 7 users from my iPad.

Has anyone ran into this problem or know how to solve this?? I've loved this phone so much except for the fact that I'm so much less connected to everyone with an iPhone!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I wonder, if your friends deleted their address book entries for you and recreated them just using your phone number if it'd help any.

danvnguyen

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I will ask one of my friends to do that and see if it helps, but also, having everyone of my friends delete my number and recreate my contact might be a tedious task, and I'm almost positive there would be multiple people who don't

josuerios777

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with the above given suggestion. If they can't take a minute of their life to change that... Mehhh... Its no surprise they're on an iPhone...

Posted via my lag-free, always updated Nexus 4

danvnguyen

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've figured out the problem. I had an old iPhone 4 that was turned off, but iMessage was still turned on. After turning off iMessage on that phone, I started receiving all my text messages again.

However, the iPhone had been off for about 2 months, and this problem only began this past weekend, so I'm still sort of convinced that the new update had something to do with this.

Last edited:

jessie_p

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi i've been having this exact same issue except it hasn't been resolved yet. I switched over to a Galaxy S4 from my Iphone 4 almost 2 weeks ago and ever since all of my friends updated their Iphones to IOS7 i've stopped recieving their text messages. I was getting their text messages fine until they updated their IOS last week. I've tried everything, I unregistered my phone number from my Apple Id on Sunday, and I just turned off the iMessage on my old phone today and still nothing. HELP!! Since I just purchased the Galaxy less than 2 weeks ago I still have till Thursday to return it so if I can't resolve this text messaging issue it looks like I won't have a choice.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
OK -- bear with me because I don't own an iPhone...

There are a lot of threads similar to this issue floating around. If I recall correctly, simply shutting off your iDevices isn't enough -- what you're supposed to do is go into your iTunes account and remove the iMessage settings from your phone number.

Searching through these forums or Google can definitely give you more info on this subject.

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy s4 and have been having problems with receiving texts from people who have updated their iPhones to the iOS 7 operating system. I did everything to try and fix the problem and called ATT for help as well with no outcome. I thought the problem was with my new phone. Then, I Googled the problem and found from another thread that people with iPhones who have downloaded the upgrade had their messaging switched off on their phones by the upgrade. So friends without iPhones will not be receiving texts from people with iPhones. Boo for Apple! What your iPhone friends need to do is go to Settings>Messaging>and click the Send as SMS button ON (make the button green).

I tested this out with my husband whom I was not receiving texts from and it worked. The first message he sent took up to 3-5 minutes to arrive but after that they came instantly.

I really hope this helps!

thesnix

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC one which i just got over last weekend, converted from iPhone. Basically, immediately began having this problem with both my significant other and coworkers (whom rely on text messaging a great deal cause we work on the run). After reading this, turned back on my old iPhone, switched off my imessaging and began immediately receiving texts from my GF. Will update tomorrow whether or not it also helped the problem with coworkers but I believe it will.

This was a huge inconvenience to me (especially cause I liked my new phone so much!), thanks for your help!

Edit - so still having the problem. This is supremely frustrating. I think the biggest deal is that the new update turns off people's SMS automatically. They need to manually turn it on themselves to ensure I still get their texts. I really don't understand this entirely though. Frankly I'm confused and frustrated. Whatever. **** Apple. I have to work the next 14 days in a row and I'm stuck staying up tonight trying to figure this out. **** apple.

Last edited:

sheais7725

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I FIXED IT!

Here's what I did:

Turned off iMessage in my iPad. Didn't work.
Had friends change to "send as SMS" on their iPhones. Didn't work.
Unregistered my old iPhone on Apple. Didn't work.

Finally changed my Apple ID password, and lo and behold, I'm finally getting texts from iPhone's again.

Seriously aggravating because it makes it seems as if it's the Galaxy phone that was the problem, but all along it was Apple. Very sneaky, and VERY obnoxious. Never, ever going back to Apple again.

Chris Roeck

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I had similar problems switching from the iPhone 4 to the htc one. Because the new ios7 update I was not receiving text messages from friends with the update on their phones. However they were receiving my texts. What I had to do to fix the problem was go to Verizon with my old iPhone. From there they deactivated my current phone (HTC One) and reactivated my iPhone 4. Then they turned off the Imessages from my iPhone 4 and deactivated it, and reactivated my HTC One. I now can receive individual text from iPhone users, but still not receiving group messages between iPhone users. If anyone can figure out the problem I'm having between sending/receiving group messages with other Iphones I would greatly appreciate it.

ice-queen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Ice from AT&T. Customer changed from iphone to android. Cant receive messages. We put the sim card on the galaxy phone in the iphone and turned off imessage. Now iphone users can't send them imessage but they have to choose the option to send it as a regular text message after every three has been sent. Troublesome. They have to turn of imessage to avoid this. Called apple. Apple told us that iphone users can delete the convo and remove the email on the contact detail because the texts might be sent as an email still. troublesome. Asked if there is another way. apple directed us to supportprofile.apple.com where we can delete the email and number associated with the apple ID. Customer deleted the email and the number on the site but when he hits save the information reappears. Told him to delete and then save and then log out and then log back in. Worked. Email and numbers were removed. We tested messaging. Success! Cx able to recieve text messages from an iphone without any trouble now.

Aaron Eldridge1

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
i had the same problem. was able to fix it on my own by factory defaulting my old iphone 5 and then setting it back up as a new iphone (not using the previous icloud backup as it seems my number is hard set in the icloud backup thus keeping imessage alive even though my iphone is deactivated) this worked for me and fixed it and is ok becasue i only plan on using my iphone 5 as a ipod to play music going forward

Lisa Panger

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
My kid has an s4. Stopped getting my iphone texts with the update. She never had a smart phone before and her iTunes acct is just used for her iPod. So do you think changing the password will do anything? I don't see a connection. I changed my password but it didn't help.

stonelove27

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Chris, I had the same issue as you described. I put my new sim card back into my iPhone and turned off iMessage. I could then get individual messages, but I still cannot get group messages when an iPhone user sends a group message to other iPhone users w/ me included (I'm on S4). Did you ever find a fix for this problem? Hoping you did, I have one more week to decide if I'm returning my phone...

Neaka91

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey I was having the same problem and I have come up with a solution that works!
Friday I purchased a Samsung galaxy note 3 and I was unable to receive text messages from iPhone users who have updated to ios7.
After going back and checking on here for solutions and going back and forth with sprint I was ready to just go back to iPhone. So I went to apple to complain and a guy told me that it is because my number is still connected with Apple so I have to call 1800-my-apple and ask them to unregister my number from my Apple account. After they did it an hour later I was able to receive texts from everyone with an iPhone! The first few times someone text you from a iPhone it may say try again and then it will send as a text message and after a while it gets automatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech