Galaxy S4 Active: Glass + LCD Screen Replacement - Any guides?

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I cracked my glass. I've read through the other posts and if I can summarize what I've learned here:

1) The S4 Active screen is a bit different. For whatever reason, the digitizer and the glass are one in the same. This makes a glass-only repair difficult.

2) The glue that is used to seal the screen to the phone is a good bit different.

This all equates to very expensive repair options. I just purchased a glass+digitizer unit from a Chinese company. This is what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380759908611&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

It'll be here in 2 weeks. My bigger worry (now) is that I need to find some repair guides. Does anyone have any tips or advice on replacing the glass+lcd screen on a Galaxy S4 Active? I have the small screwdrivers and platic nudge tools and some guitar picks. Do I need special glue?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Glass + LCD Screen Replacement for S4 Active - Any guides?

I haven't found many options. There'a a youtube video, but it wasn't very helpful.

Has anyone here replaced the glass on a S4 Active?

Jason7391

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

I bought the glass and tried to figure out how to put it on but because the display is sealed together unlike the regular s4s's, there is no way to run the flex cable for the digitizer past the lcd screen without breaking it. I gave up on that and bought the entire frame which was $97 and only took 5 minutes to install. If one of you want to give just the glass a try pm me and ill sell you my glass for a cheap price.

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I already purchased the glass, but I'll attempt to learn from what you said. It sounds like the small cable in the top left corner of the glass is nearly impossible to reconnect, but that a new frame solves that? Can I ask where you purchased the frame from?

RambleRob

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Did you find an OEM replacement for 97 dollars? If so, man, please tell me where. I'm trying to find one and they are either $220+ or cheap looking knock off. Do you ever use the knockoffs or b class used ones?

JM19

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Got a Galaxy S4 which the glass broke. Was able to remove the glass using a hair dryer but noticed that the digitizer and glass are fused together. Now I don't know how to proceed. I purchased the front glass thinking it was just a matter of replacing the glass and that's it. Should of done my homework I guess. At this point I don't think I have a choice but to proceed in trying to separate the digitizer from the glass without damaging it. Based on some videos on YouTube a special wire has to be ran through between the glass and digitizer while the glass is heated on a hot plate.

I will try it with the hair drier and a lot of time and patience. I'm at the point of no return. Might as well try. It's either this or buying a new display assembly which don't look cheap, even on eBay. Will post back after I try it.

JM19

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Here's a link showing how it's done on a professional, not DIY, level.
http://www.etradesupply.com/blog/replace-glass-screen-galaxy-smartphones/

Last edited:

Paul Vaicekauskas

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

I bought the samsung galaxy s4 active 19295 front glass also and can't fix were do you get the 90.00unit from I need one PLEASE HELP
I cracked my glass. I've read through the other posts and if I can summarize what I've learned here:

1) The S4 Active screen is a bit different. For whatever reason, the digitizer and the glass are one in the same. This makes a glass-only repair difficult.

2) The glue that is used to seal the screen to the phone is a good bit different.

This all equates to very expensive repair options. I just purchased a glass+digitizer unit from a Chinese company. This is what I bought:

Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Lens for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 I537 at T | eBay

It'll be here in 2 weeks. My bigger worry (now) is that I need to find some repair guides. Does anyone have any tips or advice on replacing the glass+lcd screen on a Galaxy S4 Active? I have the small screwdrivers and platic nudge tools and some guitar picks. Do I need special glue?

Thanks for any advice.

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

This is all I could find. . . . pricey:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295 LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly with Front Housing

Be sure to check your model number. From what I've read, there are different variants for different carriers.

As for me, I think I'm going to go to t-Mobile and check out their buy-out option, so I can get out of my AT&T contract. . . .and then I'll get a Note 3.

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

So here's what I did. I ordered the LCD Frame from eBay. I was careful to search for the exact model name/number that is listed on the sticker inside my phone.

I537 something something lcd replacement frame. It was listed with the following title:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active i537 Gray LCD Touch Digitizer Screen+Frame Assembly A

It was $137. There are A, B, C, D grades for these used items.

I was nervous about the price, given that other "A" quality frames were listed for much more. But I'm cheap, so I bought it.

It arrived in a few days. I must admit, I was a little scared when I opened it. It's basically a full shell of the phone. I thought I would just pop a few things out . . . .the whole frame would come out. . . and it would be simple.

I watched this video which shows you how to dissasemble it. It even discusses replacing a frame.:

How to Disassemble Galaxy S4 Active! - YouTube

I was scared, but desparate, so I got my screwdriver kit and got to work.

I removed all of the screws. It's a little unnerving popping the first protective frame off, but if you take your time and work your way around the perimeter, it will eventually pop off, and you'll realize you were silly for being so dainty with it.

This is when the fun started. I compared the guts of my phone to the frame and realized I was going to have to transfer a lot of crap to make this thing work. Following the video, I:

1) Removed all of the components and removed the mother-board.

2) Here's the part that they don't focus on in the video. You have to remove the vibrating pod thingy as well as the speaker near the top. This is a harrowing experience, because they don't come out easily. They have a moderate adhesive and you just have to work them slowly. Get some very small tweazers so that you can pry the flexible circuit/ribbon off of the mother board.

3) I was suprised how easy it was to transfer the pieces to the mother board.

4) I then got to removing the usb port. This was scary too, because it takes a little work. Once you remove the 2 screws and the bracket. . . . it will come right out if you pull it by the ribbon cable that runs up the left side and attaches to the motherboard. Don't pry it from underneath. You don't need to do that.

I put it all back together and it worked great. Now. .. I do have some sound problems. The ear-piece audio isn't working, so I might have to go back in there. But. . .. I can't recall the last time I made a phone call, so . . . I might just leave it like this.

Good luck to all who try it. The next time I have to do this, it will be a snap.

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Quick update. . .the sound problems have fixed themselves, so I'm all good. When re-attaching the Vibrating pod and the ear-speaker, be sure to press down hard. The adhesive appears to be the only thing that makes the electrical contacts between the motherboard and the component.

If you have any questions or doubts, just ask here or send me a message.

pancy88

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
is the topic still active?
I have bought an adhesive sticker from ebay for my galaxy s4 active. (between the screen and frame)
I don't know how to do it. Any help?
thank you

Aenergy

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
Anyone has a bad S4 SGH-M919 with good screen? I broke my S4 SGH-M919 screen, but can't afford a replacement now. I can DIY the replacement if I find someone gracious enough to bless me with their bad device with good screen. Thanks