S4 won't charge properly and tries to turn on when plugged in

JulesRuby

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new here, so I apologize if this is not the correct category for this question.
I've had my S4 since about last April. Only today, when I was plugging it into my car charger. A popup came up, telling me about power sharing, I think? It mentioned requiring a downloaded app, that it was not clear on naming. Telling me that if I did not have it, all of my device's power would be transferred to whatever it was connecting to, using a power sharing cable. To my knowledge, I've only been using charge cables, not "power sharing" cables, although I am not sure if those are considered one and the same, or not. It's just never really a term I had heard used before. I did not download any apps for it, to my knowledge. When I go to plug my device in, it no longer appears to accept that it is charging. I attempted to turn off my device to conserve my last 2% of battery life, and plug it into my computer. Plugging it in caused it to immediately boot back up, without me even touching any power buttons. Eventually the battery died, and I have since tried plugging it in again. Now it is simply struggling to power itself back on, over and over again, but has no battery. So it just... Sits there, vibrating every several seconds indicating an attempted power on. I'm pretty confused and a little concerned right now. So if any of you have some advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Power Sharing cables allow you to connect your phone to another Samsung device like their smartwatch, and transfer power from the phone to the other device (making the phone into an external power source): http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-starts-selling-micro-usb-power-sharing-cable-1999. This clearly shouldn't have happened when plugging into a car charger. It sounds like there might have been some sort of hardware glitch that turned on the option, and proceeded to drain your phone's battery. Hard to say if it was due to the car charger's cable, the phone's microUSB port, or some kind of firmware mega-glitch.

First, check the phone's microUSB port for any debris. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out vigorously. If that doesn't help, then now that your battery has died, you may have to get a new battery (or borrow somebody else's), so that you have enough power to boot into Recovery Mode. Then try wiping the cache partition, which doesn't erase any personal data. http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744. If that doesn't help, then you might have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset.

Amee Do

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi..I have the same problem as mentioned above and this happened right after I updated to lollipop. I'm not sure if it is related or not. I have tried taking out the battery, plug into different charger and cables. Changing the outlet and then finally hard factory reset on the phone. None of this works. Please help :(

Hey guys, I'm new here, so I apologize if this is not the correct category for this question.
I've had my S4 since about last April. Only today, when I was plugging it into my car charger. A popup came up, telling me about power sharing, I think? It mentioned requiring a downloaded app, that it was not clear on naming. Telling me that if I did not have it, all of my device's power would be transferred to whatever it was connecting to, using a power sharing cable. To my knowledge, I've only been using charge cables, not "power sharing" cables, although I am not sure if those are considered one and the same, or not. It's just never really a term I had heard used before. I did not download any apps for it, to my knowledge. When I go to plug my device in, it no longer appears to accept that it is charging. I attempted to turn off my device to conserve my last 2% of battery life, and plug it into my computer. Plugging it in caused it to immediately boot back up, without me even touching any power buttons. Eventually the battery died, and I have since tried plugging it in again. Now it is simply struggling to power itself back on, over and over again, but has no battery. So it just... Sits there, vibrating every several seconds indicating an attempted power on. I'm pretty confused and a little concerned right now. So if any of you have some advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Thank you!

The only thing you can do is pause the application and it will disappear by itself. I'm having the same issues

Posted via the Android Central App

diepkimquang

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It's too later but I hope I can help you
Sorry for my english, it isn't good ,I have just learning english for 2 months, I think maybe I found how to fix this trouble, the first your device is rooted, then install Titanium Backup, provide root permission for app, into app>chose [backup/restore]>find "power sharing">click and freezen it>done, check you charge and USB with a PC or laptop , thanks for read.

Twort

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
The only thing you can do is pause the application and it will disappear by itself. I'm having the same issues

Posted via the Android Central App

Pause which app? I'm having the same issue, and I've tried everything. Has anyone checked if a new battery fixes the issue?

chasfmill

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this problem with a brand new S4 phone. I've tried everything I've found suggested online, but the phone still shows the pop up about power sharing. The power sharing app is not on the phone. Surely someone out there knows what is causing this--there are too many people online having the same problems, and no one appears to really have the answer.

To possibly help someone who cannot charge at all, I was able to charge the phone last night by turning off the phone and plugging in the charger. But this morning the popup keeps appearing. I'll probably send the phone back. I've considered a different model Galaxy, but it seems other models are also having the issue. I have trouble believing it is a hardware issue.