SIM card or android update causing reboot, freezing?

macca28

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
A month or so ago my S3 began 'dying'. Freezing randomly, rebooting regularly. It started off as a 'once or twice a day' thing, and by last week it would reboot any time I opened an app, freeze any time I made a call, etc.

I switched my sim back to my old Galaxy Ace 3 and haven't had an issue. However I also didn't sign into my current google account, on the Ace 3. I had no issues with rebooting or freezing in the 2 days that I used it, however I never asked much of it other than to text and call.

Today my MIL had upgraded to a A3 so gave me her old S4. For the first 15 minutes I had no issues, and used it as normal. Then the old rebooting started again. I had downloaded an app and played it for 5 minutes, then reboot. After that, it rebooted or turned off every time I tried to do anything at all. This phone was working perfectly this morning when my MIL had it, and has for the past 12 months until today.

Now the 3 things my S3 and S4 have in common are:

Sim card
Updated to newest android release
My google account.

Any ideas which would be the culprit? I'm so frustrated right now not having a decent phone to use! My Ace3 drives me nuts and has no memory :p

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that your Google account means that you also restored your apps and such, then I would say that one of them is causing problems.

What happens if you boot your phone in Safe Mode? If it runs normally in safe mode, start deleting apps until you find the one that is causing the problem.

Turn on and use safe mode (Samsung S4):

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When "Samsung Galaxy S4" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.

To return to normal mode, just reboot the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang