06-24-2013 09:51 PM
158 1234 ...
tools
    Not sure if they necessarily hate each other, but Samsung clearly has disdain for Google. Otherwise they wouldn't be replicating every google service with their proprietary versions. A company that is happy with their relationship does not do that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    I wouldn't say hate or strained. It is simply business. Increase your presence to aid your brand. Further more, it's a legal move (as in it doesn't break the OHA rules).

Posted via Android Central App
    05-15-2013 07:21 AM
    Hate is a strong word. The relationship between the two is what you can call, strained. This is nothing new.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    OK wouldn't even say that. I would just say Samsung is trying to maxomize their profits by using their own features and separate themselves more from other manufacturers on something other than hardware
    05-15-2013 07:42 AM
    If there were to be a "Google Edition" of the GS4, then I imagine it would be like the I/O version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, i.e. it will be a limited edition and not available to the general public.

That's just my guess anyway. Otherwise, it would be awesome if they made something like this available across all carriers...oh, let a person dream. As much as I like the stock experience, it's not enough to pull my away from my discounted unlimited data plan on Verizon. Otherwise, I'd be on a Nexus phone right now.
    05-15-2013 07:44 AM
    As long as they release 4.3 aosp we should be able to get the same experience on our rooted phones.

Although in sure Verizon will be ****ed again :/
    05-15-2013 07:50 AM
    As long as they release 4.3 aosp we should be able to get the same experience on our rooted phones.

Although in sure Verizon will be ****ed again :/
    Why would Verizon be ****ed? Do you mean in terms of locked boot-loader or do you mean the chances of Verizon getting another stock Android device being slim? If the former, then well we'll find out next week when the exploit/method for unlocking the Snapdragon based devices (which are all the US carrier models) is released. If the latter, then...yeah, can't do much about that.
    05-15-2013 08:00 AM
    I mean if aosp is released it likely wont come to the vzw version of the s4
    05-15-2013 08:04 AM
    I mean if aosp is released it likely wont come to the vzw version of the s4
    Ah, well like I said there's a method to unlock the bootloader on AT&T's version from Dan Rosenberg. However, it's being withheld until Verizon's release so it can be tested on their model first since the same exploit is expected to work. It also doesn't give Samsung and Verizon a chance to patch the exploit before release day.

So there's hope yet!
    05-15-2013 08:15 AM
    They both could learn a lot from one another (Google & Samsung). Releasing stock Android on the Galaxy S4, in any form, puts the stock experience in the hands of more people. That's a plus for Google. Releasing a Galaxy S4 without Touchwiz also silences most of the criticism about the S4 in general, which is a plus for Samsung. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there's more than enough reason to make it happen.

My only thing here is if they're going to sell it, sell it straight from Samsung. I'd say straight from the Play Store, but we've all seen how well that's gone before.
    ConTejas and Golfdriver97 like this.
    05-15-2013 09:27 AM
    They just announced this and its coming to the Play Store on June 26th for 649.99.
    05-15-2013 01:06 PM
    I kinda like Touchwiz.
    I would like it better if I had the option of turning it off.

The entire phone industry is about to get owned.
    05-15-2013 01:09 PM
    I really hope a clean port of AOSP comes to the rest of the S4's come in very short order. (Dreaming of a quality Nexus device on Verizon)
    msndrstood likes this.
    05-15-2013 01:12 PM

It just sucks becuase I'm stuck on Verizon. If it weren't for VZW I would be out in a moment's notice.
    05-15-2013 01:13 PM
    Lol exactly what I was thinking...Glad I got this version
    Can you guys clarify if this is actually the same phone, so that rooting will allow me to run (and update) it like the Google S4?
    05-15-2013 01:13 PM

I was hoping the announcement would be a set of APIs that could then allow the developers to make the skins to sit on top of, rather than inside of, Android, and then allowing users the option to make it stock with the push of a button.

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 01:15 PM
    So a Nexus-like experience, but it ships with 4.2.2, and they're releasing 4.3 today?! So hyprictical or no 4.3? Seemed 4.3 was guaranteed. This would make a lot more sense if it was available on Verizon and/or Sprint. Tmobile/Att....not so much. On Tmobile/Att...unless you're in the "needs removable storage/battery" camp, the N4 is still a much better buy. Although, I do agree with whomever said this **might**get the stock Android experience in more users hands. Doubtful at $650.
    05-15-2013 01:35 PM
    It just sucks becuase I'm stuck on Verizon. If it weren't for VZW I would be out in a moment's notice.
    I just paid $190 for my termination fee to get them out of my life forever last week. It was an awesome investment.
    05-15-2013 01:42 PM
    I just paid $190 for my termination fee to get them out of my life forever last week. It was an awesome investment.
    When I spoke to them about canceling they said $350 per account, how'd you manage $190?

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 01:46 PM
    What does this mean for the Nexus line in general? Does it make more sense to have Google editions of existing hardware? A lot of people wanted to see a Nexus 5 - isn't that kinda what this is?

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    05-15-2013 01:47 PM
    Have they announced whether its snapdragon or Exynos powered?
    05-15-2013 01:57 PM
    I'm not on a contract right now. But was about to resign up.
    05-15-2013 01:57 PM
    Can we merge all these threads?
    05-15-2013 01:59 PM
    The only thing that would be a loss for the AOSP version over TW is the loss of the awesome camera features in the TW version.
    05-15-2013 02:14 PM
    When I spoke to them about canceling they said $350 per account, how'd you manage $190?
    I believe they are now required to prorate the termination fee for however many months are left on your contract. My fee to end my T-mobile contract 2 months early would have only been $50 (but since I'm still waiting for the Verizon S4, I didn't have to do it).
    05-15-2013 02:26 PM
    What does this mean for the Nexus line in general? Does it make more sense to have Google editions of existing hardware? A lot of people wanted to see a Nexus 5 - isn't that kinda what this is?

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    It means "nothing" regarding the Nexus line. Consider it a developer addition available from the Play Store. It's most definitely not the N5.
    05-15-2013 02:41 PM
    I've really enjoyed (elsewhere) reading people downplaying this. If you thought the One/S4 thing was bad before, it'll most likely get a lot worse. At least it's entertaining.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    05-15-2013 02:43 PM
158 1234 ...