06-24-2013 09:51 PM
158 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Almost verbatim. I'd be curious to see the reaction if it was the One instead of the S4, but such is life.

And look what this thread has become now. LOL.

People need to calm down and have a civilized discussion. How did this get about who's making the next Nexus anyway?
    05-15-2013 06:37 PM
    And look what this thread has become now. LOL.

People need to calm down and have a civilized discussion. How did this get about who's making the next Nexus anyway?
    I knew this was going to happen the second I read the rumor last night. The S4 is the most polarizing device out right now and the One gives tech bloggers/reviewers an aluminum-on. It's like the S4 is so disowned at this point amongst the tech community that even Nexus-like updates and stock Android doesn't make a difference.

I find it absolutely hilarious. It makes for great debates and entertaining, nonsensical tirades.
    05-15-2013 06:53 PM
    I knew this was going to happen the second I read the rumor last night. The S4 is the most polarizing device out right now and the One gives tech bloggers/reviewers an aluminum-on. It's like the S4 is so disowned at this point amongst the tech community that even Nexus-like updates and stock Android doesn't make a difference.

I find it absolutely hilarious. It makes for great debates and entertaining, nonsensical tirades.
    As for the HTC One vs Sammy aspect of it: HTC employee alludes at Google experience device, executive denies it

For the rest of it, I see no reason why anyone would buy this from the play store. You can get a 32GB cheaper from a carrier and put an AOSP ROM on it + still be able to flash back to Touchwiz features if you want them. If you only want stock, it'd be smarter to buy two nexus 4's or a nexus 4 and a nexus 7, etc. An S4 without TouchWiz's features is just a phone with an awesome screen and processor.
    Donvald likes this.
    05-15-2013 06:57 PM
    At any rate, this phone is definitely not the next Nexus. I will make my decision this fall when they release the next Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:07 PM
    As for the HTC One vs Sammy aspect of it: HTC employee alludes at Google experience device, executive denies it

For the rest of it, I see no reason why anyone would buy this from the play store. You can get a 32GB cheaper from a carrier and put an AOSP ROM on it + still be able to flash back to Touchwiz features if you want them. If you only want stock, it'd be smarter to buy two nexus 4's or a nexus 4 and a nexus 7, etc. An S4 without TouchWiz's features is just a phone with an awesome screen and processor.
    Even the HTC employees go for the "Ur phone sux cuz it's plastix" thing. Classic. Awfully glib for a company being so thoroughly outclassed.
    Aquila and Donvald like this.
    05-15-2013 07:07 PM
    Even the HTC employees go for the "Ur phone sux cuz it's plastix" thing. Classic. Awfully glib for a company being so thoroughly outclassed.
    I'm honestly getting sick of people feeling the need to bring this HTC vs Samsung fanboy war into all new threads. Please, stop.
    05-15-2013 07:21 PM

But a rooted normal edition S4 still won't have immediate updates.
    Aquila and omniusovermind like this.
    05-15-2013 07:22 PM
    But a rooted normal edition S4 still won't have immediate updates.
    That is a selling point, sure BUT this phone (the S4 as a whole) is popular enough that'll it'll probably getting dev support like crazy, and once the release for the Google version is posted, it'll be quick and easy to port over (hopefully). That's pretty much how the Toro Galaxy Nexus works now. GSM build gets posted, 2-3 hours later there are working ROM's out there and 2-3 days later very stable ones.
    return_0 likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:25 PM
    That is a selling point, sure BUT this phone (the S4 as a whole) is popular enough that'll it'll probably getting dev support like crazy, and once the release for the Google version is posted, it'll be quick and easy to port over (hopefully). That's pretty much how the Toro Galaxy Nexus works now. GSM build gets posted, 2-3 hours later there are working ROM's out there and 2-3 days later very stable ones.
    True. For me personally the GE GS4 would be a better choice, but I can see the point of getting a normal GS4. To each his own
    05-15-2013 07:29 PM
    I'm honestly getting sick of people feeling the need to bring this HTC vs Samsung fanboy war into all new threads. Please, stop.
    Wasn't aware there was a "war". I just commented on how amusing this has gotten.
    05-15-2013 07:31 PM
    True. For me personally the GE GS4 would be a better choice, but I can see the point of getting a normal GS4. To each his own
    I'll get neither because I think they're both a horrible value per dollar, but I would be interested in playing with the GE to see how it's executed. I'm curious about whether or not the SD card works, how the menu button was integrated, how you access Google Now, etc. and want to see the responsiveness.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't aware there was a "war". I just commented on how amusing this has gotten.
    There are about 50 songs that just went into my mind; none of which would make sense to anyone.
    return_0 likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:31 PM
    See below:

Awfully glib for a company being so thoroughly outclassed.
    IMO that's just asking for a flame battle.

But I guess I should just leave this alone.
    chesalaam likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:38 PM
    This is merely a new sales strategy from Samsung. They know to the die hards out there it will sell, to the average person nah I don't think it will appeal especially with the big price tag.

It will be interesting to see what they do for camera software and other goodies that you get with Touchwiz.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:39 PM
    I'll get neither because I think they're both a horrible value per dollar
    Same; I'll stick to the N4. I'm just saying that if I had a choice between the two GS4s, I'd choose the GE.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:39 PM
    It will be interesting to see what they do for camera software and other goodies that you get with Touchwiz.
    Exactly, so many questions this thing creates and a little bit of hope that they found a way to keep some of it... but that might get seriously crushed. Wish there was a way to play with them in a store without ordering it.
    runtmms likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:41 PM
    This is merely a new sales strategy from Samsung. They know to the die hards out there it will sell, to the average person nah I don't think it will appeal especially with the big price tag.

I think to the average consumer this might also appeal a bit. When the average person hears the word "Google", they think of the trustworthy search engine; the popular email service; the non-near-fatal maps software. So a Google edition GS4 would translate to being better in the uninformed (and informed) mind.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:41 PM
    See below:

IMO that's just asking for a flame battle.
    I thought it was harmless/fact, but I'll refrain.
    chesalaam likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:43 PM
    I think to the average consumer this might also appeal a bit. When the average person hears the word "Google", they think of the trustworthy search engine; the popular email service; the non-near-fatal maps software. So a Google edition GS4 would translate to being better in the uninformed (and informed) mind.
    Yes thats true, some may put two and two together and consider it.

Next part they may also realize is just like the Nexus line, Pure Google "AOSP" isn't always the best thing either.

So yeah it can play both ways... I think it will sell, make Sammy a nice little chunk of change....

Me personally, I'll stick with the Nexus line or a branded device and just root it and enjoy the latest ROMs built off the latest AOSP goodies.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:50 PM
    Almost verbatim. I'd be curious to see the reaction if it was the One instead of the S4, but such is life.
    You sir win the biggest Troll Award. Out of every one I see on both forums you are guilty of trolling more and attempting to stir the pot more than any other I have seen thus far.

Take a bow and give your victory speech lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    chesalaam likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:55 PM
    You sir win the biggest Troll Award. Out of every one I see on both forums you are guilty of trolling more and attempting to stir the pot more than any other I have seen thus far.

Take a bow and give your victory speech lol.

Can't remember the last time I posted in another section here, but okay.
    05-15-2013 07:57 PM
    I think the best way to look at this " the big picture " is this just give another OPTION to a the Android family. Some may like it, some may not but either way its another cool alternative that Sammy is bringing to the table.
    runtmms and Aquila like this.
    05-15-2013 07:58 PM
    I think the best way to look at this " the big picture " is this just give another OPTION to a the Android family. Some may like it, some may not but either way its another cool alternative that Sammy is bringing to the table.
    This is nothing but positive. If it means that there may be more flagship phones offering stock Android experiences every year, it'll be good for all involved. There's people who want the S4, but hate Touchwiz. They'll be happy. Everyone else can buy one if they'd like or enjoy the carrier versions.
    05-15-2013 08:00 PM
    Can't remember the last time I posted in another section here, but okay.
    Not saying you post in other sections just commenting on the fact that I see you constantly doing your best to stir the pot, what's the points there an actual goal or is it more of a past time

chesalaam likes this.
    05-15-2013 08:02 PM
    Now on to the topic, I would go so far to say that GES4 might be able get me to move to the S4, I am not concerned about the plastic, I am however concerned with my extreme dislike of touchwiz.

05-15-2013 08:04 PM
    Not saying you post in other sections just commenting on the fact that I see you constantly doing your best to stir the pot, what's the points there an actual goal or is it more of a past time

You could have just PMed me this, but oh well. I'd say that most people would consider me more helpful than someone who "stirs the pot" here.
    05-15-2013 08:05 PM
158 ... 23456 ...