Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, quick question... been with apple since the 1st iphone and now making the switch to s4 with verizon.....what the big difference with the Google edition compared to the s4 i have on pre-order?...Will a first android user even be able to tell the difference? Whats the benefits with the Google edition if i just plan on keeping everything stock, maybe use a 3rd party launcher here and there?

You'll lose all the bells, whistles, gimmicks, and kitchen sink apps that Samsung has taken to throwing on their phones these days. You'll gain a powerful, stock Android experience. If you want to compare the software, I would go into a T-Mobile store and play with the normal GS4 and the Nexus 4 side-by-side. That way you can see what bits you'd lose by going with the stock Android version of the GS4.

Also note that you'd have to go with either AT&T or T-Mo to use this version of the GS4. It doesn't support CDMA networks like Verizon.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd say because it's very likely that HTC will win the Nexus bid this year and the N5 will be the One on roids. At least I sure hope so:D

I thought I read somewhere that LG was doing the nexus again. Hmmmmmmmm. I like samsung's flagship galaxy series but I hate their nexus phones. Not sure why.

- - - Updated - - -

Very possible, especially with Google's penchant for releasing a Nexus with a shotty camera.

I kid, I kid.

You mean like the Galaxy Nexus......... that camera was the worst. And I ain't kidding LOL.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd say because it's very likely that HTC will win the Nexus bid this year and the N5 will be the One on roids. At least I sure hope so:D

LG overwhelmingly seems to be the one to make the N5. It was apparently between Samsung and LG and well, we now have a new Samsung Nexus.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's been said that LG is doing the next nexus.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Yeah, that's called a rumor, ya know? Google generally awards the bid to whomever impresses them via innovation. LG won the N4 bid due to it's build quality and wireless charging. I'm basing my guess that HTC will win the N5 bid because you'd have a tough time arguing, today, that any other Android OEM could match the innovation HTC has brought in 2013 with the ultrapixel camera, all aluminum body, and boomsound/front facing stereo speakers.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's called a rumor, ya know? Google generally awards the bid to whomever impresses them via innovation. LG won the N4 bid due to it's build quality and wireless charging. I'm basing my guess that HTC will win the N5 bid because you'd have a tough time arguing, today, that any other Android OEM could match the innovation HTC has brought in 2013 with the ultrapixel camera, all aluminum body, and boomsound/front facing stereo speakers.

Come on man, you don't know the reason why anyone "won" the Nexus bid LOL. What device prior did LG have that warranted some sort of praise for build quality? I'd take rumors like the below over some subjective things that may or may not matter when it comes to Google selecting a OEM. Sorry dude. Not saying I really care but stop making stuff up LOL.

LG reportedly confirmed to build the Nexus 5 smartphone - GSMArena.com news

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I still rather have the touch wiz version, but it would be nice to experience pure Google for once. There's just no way I'd pay $600+ for a phone that I'm only going to use for 2 years. Seems that's the life expectancy of these smartphones now a days anyway.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Come on man, you don't know the reason why anyone "won" the Nexus bid LOL. What device prior did LG have that warranted some sort of praise for build quality? I'd take rumors like the below over some subjective things that may or may not matter when it comes to Google selecting a OEM. Sorry dude. Not saying I really care but stop making stuff up LOL.

LG reportedly confirmed to build the Nexus 5 smartphone - GSMArena.com news

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the evidence, at least not in the 3 mins I cared enough to look for it. That said, I promise you the entire internetz that what I said was nearly a verbatim quote from a Google executive (not name dropping since I'm unsure exactly whom) in an interview after the N4 was released. You really think nobody asks "why did you choose XYZ OEM this year?" You obviously do not understand the OEM bid process. They show up WITH prototype units to show off. They don't need some existing device in the wild. If they did, LG wouldn't make the N4. So, my guess having HTC build the N5 is fair enough. It's a semi-educated guess, that's all. I'd be perfectly happy with LG building it, and most likely anyone else.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People need to get over Google not choosing HTC. HTC can barely build the One for themselves and they're supposed to supply Google as well? Samsung can more readily make the device and in a way the S4 is like the Nexus 4 in terms of opening the phone up and tinkering. You can't do that with a One.

There won't be a "Nexus One" and LG looks to be making the Nexus 5. Buy a One, break the bootloader and load a ROM if you want stock on an HTC phone. That, or get over it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Exciting times for us GS4 users :D

I'd like to just pass on my condolences to HTC, Sony, LG and their owners, the One, Xperia Z and Optimus G Pro they fought well. Better luck next time chaps!

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
People need to get over Google not choosing HTC. HTC can barely build the One for themselves and they're supposed to supply Google as well? Samsung can more readily make the device and in a way the S4 is like the Nexus 4 in terms of opening the phone up and tinkering. You can't do that with a One.

There won't be a "Nexus One" and LG looks to be making the Nexus 5. Buy a One, break the bootloader and load a ROM if you want stock on an HTC phone. That, or get over it.

Thank you!!

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Almost verbatim. I'd be curious to see the reaction if it was the One instead of the S4, but such is life.

And look what this thread has become now. LOL.

People need to calm down and have a civilized discussion. How did this get about who's making the next Nexus anyway?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And look what this thread has become now. LOL.

People need to calm down and have a civilized discussion. How did this get about who's making the next Nexus anyway?

I knew this was going to happen the second I read the rumor last night. The S4 is the most polarizing device out right now and the One gives tech bloggers/reviewers an aluminum-on. It's like the S4 is so disowned at this point amongst the tech community that even Nexus-like updates and stock Android doesn't make a difference.

I find it absolutely hilarious. It makes for great debates and entertaining, nonsensical tirades.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I knew this was going to happen the second I read the rumor last night. The S4 is the most polarizing device out right now and the One gives tech bloggers/reviewers an aluminum-on. It's like the S4 is so disowned at this point amongst the tech community that even Nexus-like updates and stock Android doesn't make a difference.

I find it absolutely hilarious. It makes for great debates and entertaining, nonsensical tirades.

As for the HTC One vs Sammy aspect of it: HTC employee alludes at Google experience device, executive denies it

For the rest of it, I see no reason why anyone would buy this from the play store. You can get a 32GB cheaper from a carrier and put an AOSP ROM on it + still be able to flash back to Touchwiz features if you want them. If you only want stock, it'd be smarter to buy two nexus 4's or a nexus 4 and a nexus 7, etc. An S4 without TouchWiz's features is just a phone with an awesome screen and processor.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
At any rate, this phone is definitely not the next Nexus. I will make my decision this fall when they release the next Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As for the HTC One vs Sammy aspect of it: HTC employee alludes at Google experience device, executive denies it

For the rest of it, I see no reason why anyone would buy this from the play store. You can get a 32GB cheaper from a carrier and put an AOSP ROM on it + still be able to flash back to Touchwiz features if you want them. If you only want stock, it'd be smarter to buy two nexus 4's or a nexus 4 and a nexus 7, etc. An S4 without TouchWiz's features is just a phone with an awesome screen and processor.

Even the HTC employees go for the "Ur phone sux cuz it's plastix" thing. Classic. Awfully glib for a company being so thoroughly outclassed.