Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is nothing but positive. If it means that there may be more flagship phones offering stock Android experiences every year, it'll be good for all involved. There's people who want the S4, but hate Touchwiz. They'll be happy. Everyone else can buy one if they'd like or enjoy the carrier versions.
Exactly.. This is nothing but positive IMO.

Not saying you post in other sections just commenting on the fact that I see you constantly doing your best to stir the pot, what's the points there an actual goal or is it more of a past time :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lets not even start the flaming, trolling or comments.. Not going to put up with it in this thread.

Happy posts! Lets get along... Nuff said..

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Considering this phone is a carbon copy of the original GS4 and only sold online, the "average customer" won't even know this phone exists. If it were sold at a subsidy and available through carriers I'd imagine it'd sell really well though. In fact, I'd say probably better than the TouchWiz GS4 if they were launched at the same time. People would see Google's name on it and not on the other and go for that one. Then again it'd probably cause confusion.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Considering this phone is a carbon copy of the original GS4 and only sold online, the "average customer" won't even know this phone exists. If it were sold at a subsidy and available through carriers I'd imagine it'd sell really well though. In fact, I'd say probably better than the TouchWiz GS4 if they were launched at the same time. People would see Google's name on it and not on the other and go for that one. Then again it'd probably cause confusion.

Advertising :)

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Also, it's been a couple hours since I/O and usually we get more info after keynotes are wrapped up and people ask questions. Does anyone know if this is coming in anything other than white? I'd imagine it won't be available in the same amount of colors as the TW versions (there's already a blue one) but a black one would be nice.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought Android users were supposed to rant about the iPhone not other android devices. Never seen anything like the HTC One vs S 4 thing.
Anyway one of my first thoughts is that maybe other manufacturers will have a stock option. Seems to me it would make sense for HTC. The whole point of the overlays is to try to get you invested in their way of doing things.
Could be Google wants this too. Imagine Android manufacturers competing on device quality, performance, and service and support instead of
overlays like Sense and Touchwiz. I think we would get better devices and a more satisfying experience. If you want more features than stock android provides then get them through apps and rooting.
I knew this was going to happen the second I read the rumor last night. The S4 is the most polarizing device out right now and the One gives tech bloggers/reviewers an aluminum-on. It's like the S4 is so disowned at this point amongst the tech community that even Nexus-like updates and stock Android doesn't make a difference.

I find it absolutely hilarious. It makes for great debates and entertaining, nonsensical tirades.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No Touchwiz overlay, pure android which I think people coming from iPhones will prefer as it is amore cohesive UI with better performance.

Hey guys, quick question... been with apple since the 1st iphone and now making the switch to s4 with verizon.....what the big difference with the Google edition compared to the s4 i have on pre-order?...Will a first android user even be able to tell the difference? Whats the benefits with the Google edition if i just plan on keeping everything stock, maybe use a 3rd party launcher here and there?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There will be differences between this and the Nexus line. What they are we don't know yet. But I think if the software was identical and updates were "instant" than they would call it a Nexus.

Maybe that means improved camera software and other bits that make the experience better.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There will be differences between this and the Nexus line. What they are we don't know yet. But I think if the software was identical and updates were "instant" than they would call it a Nexus.

Maybe that means improved camera software and other bits that make the experience better.

Posted via Android Central App

IF this gets the camera and some of the other Samsung features on top of AOSP, that'd be HUGE and make this one of my favorite devices, even with the ghoulish button atrocity they've committed again. That's exactly what everyone wanted, at least in all the comments on like every tech site ever. :)

Edit: I just found out this device does have SD Card support, which makes me slightly more hopeful for some of the other features.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The question is how this will be distributed to carriers/what storage sizes will be available?

As of now, nothing has been said about carriers other than the unlocked version from the Play Store supports LTE from T-Mobile and AT&T and only a 16GB has been announced.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
As of now, nothing has been said about carriers other than the unlocked version from the Play Store supports LTE from T-Mobile and AT&T and only a 16GB has been announced.

I see I see. I assume a similar availability like the Nexus 4 had, if I'd have to come up with a guess. I'm glad I'm rocking a 32gb model, though the stock Android would have been nice out of the box, but Nova launcher is a nice substitute though. Not worth getting upset over it honestly, personally.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they'll advertise it. There may be some ads online, but nothing like what Google did for Nexus.

And we all know what a runaway success the N4 was in the marketplace. This is a MUCH better phone than the N4. Really, this is just a sop to a segment of the Android community. Small in number they are, but outsized influence they have.

No Touchwiz overlay, pure android which I think people coming from iPhones will prefer as it is amore cohesive UI with better performance.

Actually, I think Touchwiz is fine for most iPhone users. As long as they select Easy Mode.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Edit: I just found out this device does have SD Card support, which makes me slightly more hopeful for some of the other features.
This is a plus, even though many won't like that its following the standards in which Google is pushing of getting away from sdcard expansion.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not certain what if any advertising will be put into this from Samsung, via mainstream commercials. With the current attention Samsung already has if they were to throw a commercial or two on this into some prime time stuff like during the various sporting events televised and other key areas they could really explode this into something great.

But I'm sure Samsung has already thought of this, they don't need my petty thoughts :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34