Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone pay $650.00 for a SGS4(to get the "Nexus" experience) when they can root a SGSIII(with a vanilla rom), unlock it, and be good to go for about 1/3 the price? I've read that the Google Nexus4 has an LTE chip built-in to the phone. I'd personally wait to see the Google Nexus5.:p

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone pay $650.00 for a SGS4(to get the "Nexus" experience) when they can root a SGSIII(with a vanilla rom), unlock it, and be good to go for about 1/3 the price? I've read that the Google Nexus4 has an LTE chip built-in to the phone. I'd personally wait to see the Google Nexus5.:p
I believe the whole rooting experience to many these days is a high risk. People depend on their smartphones now as a huge part of their daily lives and many even tech confident people are hesitant to unlock & root their devices in fear of the " what if I screw up " factor.

Giving them this option of the S4 hardware/platform on a Pure Google experience out of the box is right up the alley for those who want it with no risk involved. The price tag is the only part making it difficult.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

The only place it makes sense is on T-mobile since you won't have the device subsidy. For every other carrier I agree it makes no sense.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
And we all know what a runaway success the N4 was in the marketplace.

I know you're being sarcastic, but the N4 was actually a HUGE success for Google. It sold 100,000 units in under an hour. It gave stock Android exposure. I've seen more N4s than any other Android phone but the S3. I'd call that a success.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Please show me where I can get this $200 unlocked GS4!

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

1990gtx

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user for the past 6 years. I needed a phone that had a bigger screen due to my eyes being bad. So i bought the galaxy s4. I had to get used to it by far, but i really liked it considering. But i found out that it does not support my 2009 Ford Focus Microsoft Sync. I was on the Samsung tech support for an hour and 15min and they guy could not get it to work with my car no matter what we did. So i called Sync and talked to there tech support and they told me they do not support that operating system yet. But they did tell me if i get any windows phone, they will work with the sync system 100%. Well no kidding, i wonder why???? So i had to take the phone back and reactivate my iPhone. :-( So i have to wait until Samsung comes out with a software update to be compatible with Sync. One thing i liked about the S4 is the internet speed was crazy fast compared to my iPhone.

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user for the past 6 years. I needed a phone that had a bigger screen due to my eyes being bad. So i bought the galaxy s4. I had to get used to it by far, but i really liked it considering. But i found out that it does not support my 2009 Ford Focus Microsoft Sync. I was on the Samsung tech support for an hour and 15min and they guy could not get it to work with my car no matter what we did. So i called Sync and talked to there tech support and they told me they do not support that operating system yet. But they did tell me if i get any windows phone, they will work with the sync system 100%. Well no kidding, i wonder why???? So i had to take the phone back and reactivate my iPhone. :-( So i have to wait until Samsung comes out with a software update to be compatible with Sync. One thing i liked about the S4 is the internet speed was crazy fast compared to my iPhone.

Hey... What is not working with the ford? I have a 2011 explorer with sync and my nexus 4 connects via Bluetooth for both phone calls and music.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
From the Blog article and everything I have just finished reading from Google and Samsung this on the surface sounds like a Win - Win situation and a good colabaration between to Powerhouse companies. Nobody is going to agree with everything these companies are doing but one thing is for sure from I am reading, It has caused a buzz and sounds like there are an awful lot of folks here that want to jump on this phone when it hits the market.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to lie. I thought the S4 was the most awesome phone I have had no desire to own. Now, I kind of want them to take my money...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Engadget had some time with one. No special camera modes, no touchwiz features at all. That makes me REALLY curious about camera output. This might NOT be the one to get unless the community gets TouchWiz ROMs ported over. Yeah, there are some good things about TouchWiz, even for those people that hate it, and one is the really well done camera app.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
If this device wasn't going to be so expensive then I would buy it, but I guess I'll just wait for the next Nexus.

Sent from my HTC One

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I love TW personally and always stick with TW Roms on my S3 for the best stability.

As for Vzw getting this device....it hasn't been announced yet. If they do, it'll be well after all the other carriers. I think Verizon will wait and see how well it sells on other carriers before they decide. Especially since they won't be able to load it with bloat the way they do all their other devices.

tap'n