Google edition GS4

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, it depends. The Galaxy is certainly more powerful, has a much larger screen ,a much better camera, an interchangeable battery and an SD card slot. How important those things are, and how much they're worth, is something each person needs to decide for themselves.

Some of those things might be moot points though. Like the camera, and more powerful processor. Yes they're there, but is vanilla android advanced enough to the point where you would actually notice the difference in those things?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Without the additions from TW though the price simply isn't justified IMO.
If "pure Android" was that important to me I'd rather get the subsidized/carrier model, put an AOSP ROM onto it & settle for that.

At 500$ I'd get it no problem but at 650$ I'll stick with my Nexus 4 & probably pick up a One to hold me over until the Nexus 5.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
That's presumptuous given that there is no $300 option for those of us who don't want to settle for midrange hardware to get a pure android experience that's certain to get updates straight from the horses mouth. And the option of paying outright or in payments is irrelevant to this point....you're paying roughly the same price either way

Posted via Android Central App
Well, then some of us believe that it doesn't make *financial* sense to spend $300 extra to buy hardware that is only a little better than the Nexus 4 (although I would very much quibble with the idea that N4's hardware is "midrange" - it certainly wasn't six months ago). It doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense, just not financial sense. You have other considerations, which are entirely legitimate, but the fact is a better option is available for those who are more pocket conscious.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Some of those things might be moot points though. Like the camera, and more powerful processor. Yes they're there, but is vanilla android advanced enough to the point where you would actually notice the difference in those things?

The more powerful processor will speed up most things, regardless of whether the phone has TW or not. In fact, given the resource hog TW is, it will probably be even more noticeable on the "vanilla" Android version. As for the camera, the hardware won't change. The higher resolution exists regardless of the software. You'll be missing all the fancy Samsung camera software features (but gaining PhotoSphere). And there are plenty of third party camera and photo-editing apps available.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am confused. How much more powerful in terms of specs will the next Nexus be compared to the Google S4. It seems like to me the S4, spec wise is superior to the N4 and also would be on par with the next Nexus device. So if someone was the buy the S4 wouldn't they be be better off in the long run when running the next couple versions of Android. I would be tempted to but the Google S4 if it was on Verizon.....verrrrrry tempted.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I am confused. How much more powerful in terms of specs will the next Nexus be compared to the Google S4. It seems like to me the S4, spec wise is superior to the N4 and also would be on par with the next Nexus device. So if someone was the buy the S4 wouldn't they be be better off in the long run when running the next couple versions of Android. I would be tempted to but the Google S4 if it was on Verizon.....verrrrrry tempted.

I would say that depends on who is made by... But we do know there is a possibility the next Nexus could have the snapdragon 800 Instead of the 600

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Why not the Nexus 4? That's pure Android and high-end hardware.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I'd argue all day long that the Nexus 4 was never high end focused and certainly shouldn't be considered that against the likes of the HTC One or GS4 that exist today. Thermal throttling issues, weak camera, and a good (read:not great) screen along with performance disadvantage in the 30-50% rang (depending on the test) all point to the nexus 4 seated squarely in the midrange segment. This isn't a bad thing...clearly the price offsets it...but cutting edge...not by a mile

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, then some of us believe that it doesn't make *financial* sense to spend $300 extra to buy hardware that is only a little better than the Nexus 4 (although I would very much quibble with the idea that N4's hardware is "midrange" - it certainly wasn't six months ago). It doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense, just not financial sense. You have other considerations, which are entirely legitimate, but the fact is a better option is available for those who are more pocket conscious.

Six months ago is six months ago....in technology terms...its a generational gap....and largely irrelevant to comparing the two. But for arguments sake...if we look at like form like devices....I'd argue (purely on the basis of performance) that at the price point... The gs3 is now a better value than the nexus 4 (comparing the 16gb version for clarity...since... you'd have to be insane to buy the 8gb version. Mind you I'd factor in screen to.. But still... The gs3 was a monster for its time... Especially the exynos version

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Six months ago is six months ago....in technology terms...its a generational gap....and largely irrelevant to comparing the two. But for arguments sake...if we look at like form like devices....I'd argue (purely on the basis of performance) that at the price point... The gs3 is now a better value than the nexus 4 (comparing the 16gb version for clarity...since... you'd have to be insane to buy the 8gb version. Mind you I'd factor in screen to.. But still... The gs3 was a monster for its time... Especially the exynos version
Well then I have to cop to insanity. I have owned an 8GB Nexus 4 since late November, and I am incredibly happy with it. I had a 16 GB Galaxy Nexus before and never used more than half the storage, so 8 GB is more than adequate for me. I take a lot of pictures but they are all instant uploaded to the cloud. I don't have music on my phone, as when I listen to music, it's mostly through Pandora (plus I have all my music uploaded on Play Music). And I'm not a gamer. So I saved $50 (plus tax), have access to all my files and data anywhere over the cloud, and I like it that way. If that makes me insane, sign me up.

My point with respect to the hardware was that while hardware improves rapidly, the six-month-old hardware doesn't start costing less. Six months from now, you can bet Samsung is not going to drop the price of the GS4, the Google Edition or the Touchwiz version. But even by today's measures, phones that have similar hardware as the N4 cost way more than the N4 from Google Play. Heck, the buy the Nexus 4 from T-mobile and you will pay $150 more for the exact same model (the 16 GB) than at the Play Store.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah but on the same token the price of the gs3 has dropped and will drop in another 6 months...if you want a real Apple's to Apple's (forgive the pun) then it's the gs3 against the nexus 4. The nexus 5(?) Will compete with the gs4...as it'll be in a similar ballpark performance wide.

Posted via Android Central App on my shiny new Galaxy S4

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
And I'm sorry if I insulted you...wasnt my intention...I just meant that the average consumer would do better with the 16gb...you are s great target customer for the nexus mentality...I'll argue all day long that the average consumer its not reliant on the cloud as much as guys like you and I

Posted via Android Central App on my shiny new Galaxy S4

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
As much as I love the Nexus 4, mostly for its pure Google experience and the price, I also have to say that:
The battery sucks
The phone overheats
The back is cool but it breaks easily, in fact mine broke in the case

I had to return it, mostly because of the battery which is not even replaceable.
So it's great phone for the price but it's for from the s3, s4,htc one, and even some other phones (oppo, sony, etc.) have better specs.

So for the price it's unbeaten but the price isn't everything..
If you are a geek, check these forums twice or more per day, there's a good chance the s4 Google edition is tempting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I've heard several stories about how bad the build quality is on the Nexus 4.

I really don't want to believe them but people are making it hard not to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I really don't want to believe them but people are making it hard not to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And the interesting thing is, I love the Nexus 4! It was the best phone I ever had!

Sent from my Nexus

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site

My only complaints are the camera & battery.

I can't really fix the camera issues (hopefully Nexus 5 will). However, for the battery I recently bought a thing that turns my Z10's battery itself into an external battery...at least it's getting use now, LoL.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary