07-15-2013 05:49 AM
104 12345
tools
    S beam doesn't always work, air view is buggy as hell.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I haven't used air view by s Beam DOES WORK, all the time!

Now I know you're just hating.

They're gimmicks. Plain and simple. They don't add any functionality to the device, especially for things like s beam that only work between Samsung devices.

They do add functionality. Just because YOU don't like /want the functionality doesn't mean it's added.

This is fact.

We can go function for function and the gs4 will come out on top

You really honestly think those things have 'outdone' everyone else? Hate to break it to you, but other manufacturers are laughing at all of the gimmicks that Samsung is throwing at the wall as they hope to find something that sticks. Those gimmicks are not the reason Samsung has been successful, and they won't be as long as most of them don't actually work.

Not really they're wishing they came up with something new to add to Android.

Why do you think htc came up with Zoe? They had to bring SOMETHING new! Same with Blinkfeed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-28-2013 06:25 PM
    I haven't used air view by s Beam DOES WORK, all the time!

Now I know you're just hating.
    Except when it doesn't work. ;-)

They do add functionality. Just because YOU don't like /want the functionality doesn't mean it's added.

This is fact.
    No, they don't, and no it's not a fact. First, for it to add functionality it would actually gave to work. It's been proven most of Samsung's new features don't actually work.

We can go function for function and the gs4 will come out on top
    Purely by numbers, yes. But that doesn't mean anything if the features don't work. Stock android is still better than touchwiz any way you slice it.

Not really they're wishing they came up with something new to add to Android.

Why do you think htc came up with Zoe? They had to bring SOMETHING new! Same with blinkfeed

Yeah, no. They see what Samsung is doing and roll their eyes. There's a difference between adding useful and functional things and just adding things and hoping that they stick. What do you want to bet that on the S5 half of the 'features' introduced on the S4 are stripped out?

Nothing Samsung introduces is cohesive and relevant. It's a disparate set of things, none of which work well, and none of which work well together. I'd rather have stock android and apps from the market to fill in gaps than any of Samsung's proprietary, ill advised, and ill thought out, crap.

05-28-2013 06:37 PM
    Except when it doesn't work. ;-)

No, they don't, and no it's not a fact. First, for it to add functionality it would actually gave to work. It's been proven most of Samsung's new features don't actually work.

Purely by numbers, yes. But that doesn't mean anything if the features don't work. Stock android is still better than touchwiz any way you slice it.

Yeah, no. They see what Samsung is doing and roll their eyes. There's a difference between adding useful and functional things and just adding things and hoping that they stick. What do you want to bet that on the S5 half of the 'features' introduced on the S4 are stripped out?

Nothing Samsung introduces is cohesive and relevant. It's a disparate set of things, none of which work well, and none of which work well together. I'd rather have stock android and apps from the market to fill in gaps than any of Samsung's proprietary, ill advised, and ill thought out, crap.

Lol@ the word desperate being used to describe Samsung.

Seriously?

Desperation is more so HTC.

And I need to see some proof that these features don't work.

Only Samsung feature I've ever seen that didn't work was smart stay.

S Beam ALWAYS works. I do it DAILY

05-28-2013 06:42 PM
    I tried out almost all the features on an S4 at Future shop, aside from Smart Stay they all worked. People saying otherwise have a defective unit, or are just grasping for half-*** excuses to bash Samsung devices.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    txtoast likes this.
    05-28-2013 06:46 PM
    Lol@ the word desperate being used to describe Samsung.

Seriously?

Desperation is more so HTC.

And I need to see some proof that these features don't work.

Only Samsung feature I've ever seen that didn't work was smart stay.

S Beam ALWAYS works. I do it DAILY

None of Samsung's eye tracking features work. S beam sporadically throws up transfer errors. Air view doesn't always work either. (Too sensitive on the S4, so it selects what you're trying to preview)

Samsung is under the mistake assumption that people buy their phones because of these features, so they're desperate to keep throwing new ones out there, even at the expense of putting out ones that don't work. Samsung just isn't good at software, and they never have been.

Also, go look up the definitions of the word disparate and desperate. They don't mean the same thing.

05-28-2013 06:47 PM
    I tried out almost all the features on an S4 at Future shop, aside from Smart Stay they all worked. People saying otherwise have a defective unit, or are just grasping for half-*** excuses to bash Samsung devices.

Yes, all those reviewers surely must by lying. So must the users that report exactly the same things.

05-28-2013 06:48 PM
    They're gimmicks. Plain and simple. They don't add any functionality to the device, especially for things like s beam that only work between Samsung devices.

Once again it's only a gimmick to people that have no intention of using those features. If it is about functionality then some of those features wouldn't be gimmicks at all especially the multi-screen and the S-Pen since I do a lot more than I would do on a normal device. Remove those and my Note is just a giant phone and same applies to any non Nexus device. Don't see why S-Beam is worth mentioning as it is purely for Samsung's ecosystem and no different than any other manufacturer's exclusive features or programs.
    05-28-2013 06:50 PM
    Once again it's only a gimmick to people that have no intention of using those features. If it is about functionality then some of those features wouldn't be gimmicks at all especially the multi-screen and the S-Pen since I do a lot more than I would do on a normal device. Remove those and my Note is just a giant phone and same applies to any non Nexus device. Don't see why S-Beam is worth mentioning as it is purely for Samsung's ecosystem and no different than any other manufacturer's exclusive features or programs.
    Please note, I didn't say the multi window and s pen were gimmicks, because they're not.

However, things like smart stay, smart scroll and the like are all gimmicks. They don't work, and they're a waste of processing power.
    05-28-2013 07:07 PM
    Please note, I didn't say the multi app and s pen were gimmicks, because they're not.

However, things like smart stay, smart scroll and the like are all gimmicks. They don't work, and they're a waste of processing power.
    I never bothered with Smart Stay and I don't think Smart Scroll is available on the Note, so I suppose those aren't the most useful of features but you have the option of turning those features off. The only other feature that comes to mind is Air View and it works great with the S-Pen but I have no idea how well it works with your finger on the S4.
    05-28-2013 07:23 PM
    I never bothered with Smart Stay and I don't think Smart Scroll is available on the Note, so I suppose those aren't the most useful of features but you have the option of turning those features off. The only other feature that comes to mind is Air View and it works great with the S-Pen but I have no idea how well it works with your finger on the S4.
    The big problem I had was that airview liked to select things that I was trying to view. It makes sense with the s pen, but I just don't get it with the S4.

Oh and all the hand waving gestures didn't work well. Maybe one out of four times they would actually register. Ended up turning all those off too.

05-28-2013 07:29 PM
    Yes, all those reviewers surely must by lying. So must the users that report exactly the same things.

These days, you never know. Can you confirm they're telling the truth? No, you can't.

The Hustleman likes this.
    05-28-2013 07:57 PM
    These days, you never know. Can you confirm they're telling the truth? No, you can't.

I can because I had an S4. None of the sweep gestures worked properly. None of the eye tracking stuff worked at all.

If all the reviewers are saying one thing, as are a bunch of users, and you're trying to claim something different, who should we believe?

DavidT787 likes this.
    05-28-2013 08:30 PM
    I can because I had an S4. None of the sweep gestures worked properly. None of the eye tracking stuff worked at all.

If all the reviewers are saying one thing, as are a bunch of users, and you're trying to claim something different, who should we believe?

So you're saying the features don't work for 10 million+ other people because they didn't work for you, is that what I'm getting from this? I haven't read anything but this post and the one you quoted so I'm just trying to make sure.

Who are you again?
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    05-28-2013 09:53 PM
    So you're saying the features don't work for 10 million+ other people because they didn't work for you, is that what I'm getting from this? I haven't read anything but this post and the one you quoted so I'm just trying to make sure.

Who are you again?
    Read the other posts. Then you'll understand.
    05-28-2013 10:11 PM
    The only thing that I will miss is the camera features. That is actually a pretty big thing.

Also S beam seems to work 99.5% of the time which is a good enough margin for me, and smart stay always work as well. But these were galaxy S3 features, so I cannot speak about it on the GS4.
    05-28-2013 10:26 PM

And yet there are people that have the S4 and say they do work. And believe whoever you want but as soon as you start taking people's opinions as fact, you become a fool. I know they work, they won't always work due to a defective unit or they won't work the way people expect them to and they use that as an excuse to claim they don't work but they definitely can work very well.

Again, you can't confirm whose right and whose wrong because everyone's experience is different, and you definitely can't confirm that someone is telling the truth when all you do is read text on a screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    05-29-2013 11:18 AM
    And yet there are people that have the S4 and say they do work. And believe whoever you want but as soon as you start taking people's opinions as fact, you become a fool. I know they work, they won't always work due to a defective unit or they won't work the way people expect them to and they use that as an excuse to claim they don't work but they definitely can work very well.

Again, you can't confirm whose right and whose wrong because everyone's experience is different, and you definitely can't confirm that someone is telling the truth when all you do is read text on a screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    I've not yet heard a single person saying the eye tracking software works.

DavidT787 likes this.
    05-29-2013 12:58 PM
    I've not yet heard a single person saying the eye tracking software works.

OK. Nothing works on the S4, and it is garbage. We get it already, you don't like the phone. Now can you please stop?
    txtoast likes this.
    05-29-2013 01:35 PM
    OK. Nothing works on the S4, and it is garbage. We get it already, you don't like the phone. Now can you please stop?
    Yeah, that's not actually what I said. But nice try.

05-29-2013 05:51 PM
    Lets try and keep this conversation civil, guys, you were doing such a good job before.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    05-29-2013 06:20 PM
    I agree Jennifer, keep it civilized! If you want all the touchwiz stuff get the carrier phone. If you want the phone without all the effects, go for the GE version. Quit complaining! No one is ever happy and content.....
    05-30-2013 10:10 AM
    You really honestly think those things have 'outdone' everyone else? Hate to break it to you, but other manufacturers are laughing at all of the gimmicks that Samsung is throwing at the wall as they hope to find something that sticks. Those gimmicks are not the reason Samsung has been successful, and they won't be as long as most of them don't actually work.

Which is why Samsung has 95% of the android market share.. because other manufacturers are laughing at them? Seems to me they are more like crying. Even Apple is getting nervous.
    The Hustleman and DavidT787 like this.
    05-30-2013 10:33 AM
    I really don't see how losing touchwiz features is actually a "loss". Ignoring the good stuff like the camera modes the list of usable features is over.
    I'm just noting the obvious here, but having stock android on S4 is awesome because people can have the best hardware in the market in two flavours.
    And let's face the fact that Samsung has been dealing with some upgrades issues internationally. I think the S4 will get new androids versions for only over one and a half year and then it's done, just like what happened with the S2, which was released in 2011 and can now be considered obsolete.
    But with the way Google is updating Android without updating Android makes these upgrade issues somewhat irrelevant.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    05-30-2013 10:43 AM

Doesnt matter if they work. Ads intrigue buyers with exotic features but the vast majority use smart phones like dumb phones. Won't even miss the features

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    06-05-2013 04:52 PM
    Can you sideload the Samsung camera apps (I say apps because it looks like they have a separate apk for every mode)?
    06-05-2013 05:30 PM
104 12345