Galaxy S4 GE International version?

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
OK, so they announced the Galaxy S4 for TMobile and AT&T, therefore US only, boo!

Chances of an international version, i.e. everyone who isn't in the USA?

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I think Google said that it will only be available in the US.

But once it is on sale i'm sure you could find one on ebay or amazon.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
OK, so they announced the Galaxy S4 for TMobile and AT&T, therefore US only, boo!

Chances of an international version, i.e. everyone who isn't in the USA?

What would be the difference between a US/Canada version and an international version? Is there something about the internal hardware that is different? I thought the Nexus 4 sold in the US could be used overseas with a local sim. If that is correct, wouldn't the S4 GE be the same? Or were you talking about they are only selling it in the US and you won't be able to buy it overseas? Thanks.

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
What would be the difference between a US/Canada version and an international version? Is there something about the internal hardware that is different? I thought the Nexus 4 sold in the US could be used overseas with a local sim. If that is correct, wouldn't the S4 GE be the same? Or were you talking about they are only selling it in the US and you won't be able to buy it overseas? Thanks.

I think the main issue is the LTE band used in the USA isn't really used in other parts of the world, unless the Google edition of the S4 comes with multiple LTE bands, which it might. As I understand it T-Mobile uses LTE band 4 and AT&T uses LTE bands 17 & 4. In Europe LTE bands 3, 7 (and to a lesser extent) 20 are the main bands and in most of Asia its the same. I presume 3G would work though.

On another note, what is to stop me buying a normal SG4 and using the Google firmware from the Google Edition SG4?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
On another note, what is to stop me buying a normal SG4 and using the Google firmware from the Google Edition SG4?

I am not the one to answer that question since I'd be full of sh*t if I pretended to know, but that question is getting bounced around a lot in these forums and on the internet. A lot of people are saying consumers would be better off to do something like what you are suggesting because then you would always have the benefit and option of going back to Touchwiz and carrier support whenever you wanted to. (Or, to go back and forth in between the two as needed). One of the drawbacks is people are saying that flashing to a custom ROM or firmware (did I use the right word) is never without its own set of problems, and I think the other drawback that comes up is people are saying that the internal hardware among the various GS4 versions is different. Like you pointed out, different carriers use different bands, and I think (remember I'm just guessing) the hardware internals need to be band specific.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
First,

To answer the op, the Google version is an international version - meaning it will work with any international gsm carrier, and any LTE carrier as well.
The tmobile version already does that (provided it's unlocked of course) so there's a good chance the Google version is the same version sold by tmobile with a different software.
No one will know until it comes out.
If the question is more "where can I buy this phone outside of the USA" no one knows for sure now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Is that how it is with the Nexus 4, minus the LTE?

Correct. And that's the easiest way to maximize production of a phone.
Gsm is all over the world (hence no sprint or Verizon love) and if you put the right antennas the cost might go up but the distribution gets easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
According to Wikipedia (OK not the most accurate in the world, but it should do for this):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S4

The S4's sold in the USA are the SGH-I337 (AT&T) and the SGH-M919 (T-Mobile). Both only support LTE band 17, which only really works in the USA. They both support HSPA+ bands which work in the rest of the world though. Therefore if I was to buy the Google Edition SG4 from the USA, it would work abroad in Europe and Asia, but only up to HSPA+ and not with LTE.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
According to Wikipedia (OK not the most accurate in the world, but it should do for this):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S4

The S4's sold in the USA are the SGH-I337 (AT&T) and the SGH-M919 (T-Mobile). Both only support LTE band 17, which only really works in the USA. They both support HSPA+ bands which work in the rest of the world though. Therefore if I was to buy the Google Edition SG4 from the USA, it would work abroad in Europe and Asia, but only up to HSPA+ and not with LTE.

I read that it supports lte for other parts of the world as well, Europe included. Don't forget that Lte is actually not as wide spread outside of the USA.
Also, an interesting read :

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/gala...ce-really-just-a-fine-tuned-t-mobile-version/

Sent from my Nexus

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just get the i9505.

People are already (successfully) flashing i9505 ROMs -- minus radio, of course -- to the i337m (Canadian version, same hardware as the current AT&T/current T-Mo/future Google). This means there won't be a problem doing the reverse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc