Galaxy S4 Google Edition is a Marketing Tool? (Long Post)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Google Edition is a Marketing Tool (Long Post)

I have been reading articles and looking over video blogs to get different views on the stock android Galaxy S4. I found one video blog went in-depth on one particular highlight listed on the device which is the "Nexus Experience". These words never been used in marketing by Google market their Nexus devices. The phrase they like use to describe there nexus product s have be on lines on pure android experience or pure google experience. The phrases they use refer to stock android. Now what makes words nexus experience to describe stock android is it emphasizes on the Nexus brand. I wonder if this is a change in marketing to better associated stock android and Nexus line of device to gain the mainstream brand recognition.

Then the Galaxy S4 would be tool to employ this marketing strategy. There taking well know device that will get everyone attention because of success and popular samsung already has. When Galaxy S4 Google Edition is being market along Nexus line the mainstream consumer will recognize the Galaxy S4 but learn about stock android under the "Nexus Experience". The "Nexus Experience" will show Nexus at top as the Father android devices and all android devices are just reiterations of the original. This will gain the Nexus line mainstream admiration and brand recognition. Google and Nexus will be heroes and pioneers the mass never new they were.

When the next nexus device comes it should more recognize able name and have more mainstream acceptance. Basically Galaxy S4 Google Edition is a marketing tool to boast Nexus line. Furthermore Galaxy S4 Google Edition will educate the mainstream on significant Google's work with Nexus and how that effects all mainstream android devices on market. Then I would understand and appreciate the Galaxys S4 Google Edition as a marketing tool.

Does the Galaxy S4 Google Edition have to sell well for the presumed marketing strategy to be affected?
Will the presence of Galaxy S4 Google Edition with media coverage and advertising campaign be all that needed for the marketing strategy to work?

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Just to play Devil's advocate, I think you may be reading too much into it.

The phrase, "Nexus Experience" is natural evolution of the Nexus product line, which Google did finally did a good job of defining about a year ago. In the Google I/O keynote speech, they actually seemed to emphasize that the S4 dev edition was *NOT* a nexus device (for one, it doesn't meet the hardware criteria). I think the S4 dev edition (or "Google Ed." or whatever they're calling it) is more of an experiment to provide the same OS experience but without the simplistic hardware restraints that the Google Nexus line employs.

To put it another way, I don't think the term "Nexus Experience" was applied to this phone to bolster the Google's nexus line of phones, it was probably the other way around. The dev edition of the S4 probably won't sell many units at all (in comparison to it's TW counterpart), and for the most part will be fulfilling the needs of a niche audience, one that already knows what to expect from a Nexus phone.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Just to play Devil's advocate, I think you may be reading too much into it.

The phrase, "Nexus Experience" is natural evolution of the Nexus product line, which Google did finally did a good job of defining about a year ago. In the Google I/O keynote speech, they actually seemed to emphasize that the S4 dev edition was *NOT* a nexus device (for one, it doesn't meet the hardware criteria). I think the S4 dev edition (or "Google Ed." or whatever they're calling it) is more of an experiment to provide the same OS experience but without the simplistic hardware restraints that the Google Nexus line employs.

To put it another way, I don't think the term "Nexus Experience" was applied to this phone to bolster the Google's nexus line of phones, it was probably the other way around. The dev edition of the S4 probably won't sell many units at all (in comparison to it's TW counterpart), and for the most part will be fulfilling the needs of a niche audience, one that already knows what to expect from a Nexus phone.

Google pleasing a small minority of enthusiasts seems a lot of wasted work and money for a small amount of admiration. Google has done great job defining there product line to those who are enthusiasts but the mainstream consumer still naive on the android ecosystem.

Samsung and Google collaborating on Galaxy S4 AOSP Project which is project not new to Google for OS experience seem very doubtful. In fact last year Google and Sony had the Xperia S AOSP Project they worked on together last year. What could Google gain from venturing in the same project twice? Google also has worked with Samsung on three nexus devices which should brought a wealth of OS experience that I don't see what gain creating the Galaxy S4 Google Edition.

Galaxy S4 is iconic device that is easily recognizable and Google using that attention to reeducate the order android ecosystem to the mainstream consumer. Enthusiasts flagship android devices come from work Google puts into android and the Nexus Line. That credit is solely missing in the mainstream consumer market.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Google pleasing a small minority of enthusiasts seems a lot of wasted work and money for a small amount of admiration. Google has done great job defining there product line to those who are enthusiasts but the mainstream consumer still naive on the android ecosystem.

Samsung and Google collaborating on Galaxy S4 AOSP Project which is project not new to Google for OS experience seem very doubtful. In fact last year Google and Sony had the Xperia S AOSP Project they worked on together last year. What could Google gain from venturing in the same project twice? Google also has worked with Samsung on three nexus devices which should brought a wealth of OS experience that I don't see what gain creating the Galaxy S4 Google Edition.

Galaxy S4 is iconic device that is easily recognizable and Google using that attention to reeducate the order android ecosystem to the mainstream consumer. Enthusiasts flagship android devices come from work Google puts into android and the Nexus Line. That credit is solely missing in the mainstream consumer market.

It probably is not a lot of work for either party. The phones are already manufactured and just need different software loaded onto them. Samsung will sell phones to people who were previously not interested in an S4 and google will split a % of the profits. Either way, it is a win for both parties b.c most people who would buy a s4 google edition would not have bought the touchwiz s4 b.c they like nexus phones. The same people most likely already own a nexus and they just "conned" us into buying a phone we really do not need.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I still don't see a significant profit gain by creating and selling this particular device for Google or Samsung to gain.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

It probably is not a lot of work for either party. The phones are already manufactured and just need different software loaded onto them. Samsung will sell phones to people who were previously not interested in an S4 and google will split a % of the profits. Either way, it is a win for both parties b.c most people who would buy a s4 google edition would not have bought the touchwiz s4 b.c they like nexus phones. The same people most likely already own a nexus and they just "conned" us into buying a phone we really do not need.

This is how I imagine it to be. Again, I really think this device is catering to a niche market (especially when you consider the price tag), so I doubt that a ton of extra "wasted work and money" went into it. Google has have ventures like this before, yes, but obviously the Galaxy S line is highest-selling Android line out there right now, so that's why it's a bit more newsworthy.

Samsung will continue to push their standard TouchWiz based features, and Google will continue to heavily promote their Nexus line. Neither product really needs to be bolstered, nor will this device "bridge the gap" between the 2...though for some it will be a nice option to have.