Quick question, with the s4 Google edition having stock android software will this mean that things such as the air view etc and the built in remote control will still work?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    05-24-2013 07:25 AM
    Quick question, with the s4 Google edition having stock android software will this mean that things such as the air view etc and the built in remote control will still work?

From what we can tell so far, nothing will work except the camera (stock Android software, not the features from Samsung) and the SD card. All of the other features seem baked into TouchWiz, which are lost when flashing an AOSP ROM; so the assumption is this will likely be the case here too. As far as I know, no one has has a chance to play with this yet to know for sure though.
    05-24-2013 07:34 AM
    From what we can tell so far, nothing will work except the camera (stock Android software, not the features from Samsung) and the SD card. All of the other features seem baked into TouchWiz, which are lost when flashing an AOSP ROM; so the assumption is this will likely be the case here too. As far as I know, no one has has a chance to play with this yet to know for sure though.
    Funny you say that. My suspicions are that Google will end up making their own software hopefully that will make use of these features.

05-24-2013 10:36 AM
    I think Google might build some of these features into the next version of Android. I don't think they will create special features just for the S4. The whole point of this phone is stock Android, if Google starts adding features then it's not stock Android anymore, it would be Touchwiz light.
    05-24-2013 11:31 AM
    The S4 really loses a lot of its flair, due to Stock Android. Don't get more wrong I love stock, its the cleanest, and in my opinion, best version
    of Android.
    But, its nothing special now, no new features, gimmick or not, the camera features and gesture features, in my mind,
    were genuinely, cool.
    But, it sits at a high-price point, and really a Cyanogenmod Galaxy S4 could do the same thing.
    But if people want the next version of Android now, I understand why they want this.
    Aquila and clintw22 like this.
    05-24-2013 04:01 PM
    I don't think anybody really knows what will be included in the google edition.
    Its not a nexus so if people are thinking they are going to get 100% stock android they may be in for a surprise.
    05-24-2013 05:26 PM
    Its not a nexus so if people are thinking they are going to get 100% stock android they may be in for a surprise.
    It'd be very strange for them to describe it as a Nexus experience and say it ships with the same Android that the Nexus 4 does and then to add a bunch of custom features... unless some of those features are included in 4.3 and it's already out by then, etc. Who knows, you're right everything is still up in the air until someone is holding one.
    SpiralBorg likes this.
    05-24-2013 05:34 PM
    It'd be very strange for them to describe it as a Nexus experience and say it ships with the same Android that the Nexus 4 does and then to add a bunch of custom features... unless some of those features are included in 4.3 and it's already out by then, etc. Who knows, you're right everything is still up in the air until someone is holding one.
    I agree - it will be stock Android. The point might be that it's more of a 'developer's edition' so Google wants developers to start creating software that does use all the new sensors in the S4... Barometer, Humidity sensor, Gyro sensor, Gesture sensor, IR, etc. So even if some features of TouchWiz are not present I wouldn't rule them out for the future...
    05-24-2013 11:28 PM
    No, if Google said it runs stock Android, I'm pretty sure it'll run stock Android.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-27-2013 04:55 PM
    the thing about stock and its high value is there is no carrier bloat slowing down upgrades. pure goggle means fast ontime upgrades. no hand wringing when a new version is announced. that is worth a lot.

if there is a feature you like then maybe sticking with the bloat is the right thing for you. there is the app store to add additional features and frequent upgrades when your pure google. my xoom is using ICS and that is unforgivable. Verizon was the issue, everybody got a story. thats stops!
    05-28-2013 12:34 PM
    It's called rooting and uploading a custom rom. Not worth 650 Imo I'll keep regular s4

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-2013 11:34 PM
    Does anyone know of the Google Edition S4 will be released in both colors on the 26th? I've only seen the white one at IO.
    06-16-2013 05:58 PM
    Does anyone know of the Google Edition S4 will be released in both colors on the 26th? I've only seen the white one at IO.
    Same thing I would like to know. Everything I have seen points to the white only s4 and the silver only ONE.
    06-18-2013 06:47 AM
    might just be white at launch or htc and samsung may not want to give you the option of all the colors and keep it limited.

The phone has already have been said to be running AOSP version of android which to this date utilizes none of these new sensor features the air features and other gestures i doubt we will see in AOSP but i am hopeful we will see IR blaster support in the next build 4.3 as this is rather a cool feature when your 60lb dog and your fiance just got comfy on you and the remote is across the room lol.

Personally i like a lot of the features touchwiz and sense add and i can see their merit and why their respective OEMs want them to gain traction however i am a fan of having a unified experience and would like at least core apps to go untouched such as the messaging or i hope google will release their messaging app into the play store as well as they have done with the keyboard because launchers will fix the skin look and there are great third party apps but i have yet to find a messaging sms app i like as much as the AOSP version. the Note 2 version is really nice as i like the darker theme but still not the same.
    06-18-2013 07:08 AM