06-04-2013 09:57 AM
28 12
tools
    Which one is better? Obviously we will all be speculating, but they are both pretty tempting.
    05-30-2013 12:27 PM
    Neither will be "better." This goes back to the carrier s4 v HTC one argument. These two phones will lose most of their identifying software factors with sense and touchwiz being removed. That leaves people to argue about hardware, and, come on, that's just a worn out argument.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    05-30-2013 12:42 PM
    Neither will be "better." This goes back to the carrier s4 v HTC one argument. These two phones will lose most of their identifying software factors with sense and touchwiz being removed. That leaves people to argue about hardware, and, come on, that's just a worn out argument.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-2013 12:45 PM
    Wish more people understood this. Saying one is better for the masses is ignorant.

Jennifer Stough likes this.
    05-30-2013 12:46 PM
    Having issues with quotes there, Johnly?

Anyways, I agree with what Jennifer said. I may be picking up both, so I can certainly post my thoughts, but when you're running an identical platform on two flagship 'superphones' the lines become blurred for everything except physical build quality. And we've certainly had enough debate about that in these forums already.
    05-30-2013 12:57 PM

Took the words out my mouth, its the exact same software and hardware is pretty much be the same, just one has a bigger screen and the other has Beats audio
    I'm actually getting sick of seeing threads like this
    05-30-2013 02:33 PM
    I do realize it's dumb question in it's simplicity, but there has never been three "Nexus" phones out at the same time. For people that really might buy one or the other, it's now exceedingly difficult to make a decision.
    05-30-2013 03:05 PM
    It's going to be the s4 of course.

-faster CPU
    -faster RAM
    -larger screen
    -Better camera (although features will be missing)

The only advantage the one has is the appearance. It's the best looking phone out, period.

Both have the same build quality, htc just has better build materials.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    jrvtecaccord likes this.
    05-30-2013 03:13 PM
    I do realize it's dumb question in it's simplicity, but there has never been three "Nexus" phones out at the same time. For people that really might buy one or the other, it's now exceedingly difficult to make a decision.
    I understand you quoted the word nexus, so its to be used lightly, but the Google edition devices are not to be confused with nexus line devices.

DS1331 likes this.
    05-30-2013 03:13 PM
    Well the GS4 Google edition will have DDR3 ram vs DDR2 ram on the HTC One. The GS4 will also have a higher mega pixel count, I doubt the ultra pixel will look any good without the software to go with it. The GS4 will also have a bigger removable battery, and will still have expandable storage. Not to mention it appears the GS4 has a stronger radio all around esp on LTE. Most people with both are getting 10 megs faster download speeds on the GS4 vs the HTC One.
    05-30-2013 08:56 PM
    There's another major difference between the two...
    Htc has decided not to include tmobile 1700 antennas for 4g... Just for lte.
    So with this brilliant move they just cut off a big chunk of their customer base who already has a contract free deal with tmo and is more likely to buy unlocked phones.

Sent from my Nexus
    05-30-2013 09:35 PM
    There's another major difference between the two...
    Htc has decided not to include tmobile 1700 antennas for 4g... Just for lte.
    So with this brilliant move they just cut off a big chunk of their customer base who already has a contract free deal with tmo and is more likely to buy unlocked phones.

Sent from my Nexus
    LTE IS 4G.

You basically said "htc had decided not to include 1700 antennas for 4G...just for 4G"

Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-31-2013 08:30 AM
    The pc thing to do would be to say "neither" because they'll both run the same OS and lose camera features & IR blaster, but I've thought about it and the more I think about it the more the Google S4 seems to be the better buy. Not because of any spec wars, only because a lot of what the One different outside of construction was Sense 5. Without it you're just left with a 4MP camera with lackluster stock camera settings and Beats, with a $600 price tag. The S4 will lose its camera features as well, but other than that all of its novelty is in the hardware. Assuming that since the One has Beats, this S4 won't be a clean stock either. If the gestures and whatnot are baked in and stock still retains the same performance then this S4 takes the cake pretty easily. Same removable storage with option to root to store on SD, same removable battery, but with a lag free OS and updates from Google and this phone is already better than the original S4. I can't really say that this One is better than the Sense One, you just lose too much. Its not like Sense 5 was bogged down anyway, it's just stupid. But it's adaptable if you work enough with it without putting up a launcher in the meantime.

I'm thinking hard about buying one of these phones but something's just telling me to save that coin to see what the XPhone looks like or wait for a Snapdragon 800 phone to hit the market. I'm not too thrilled that this phone is $50 more than the stock One and has half the memory, even with expandable storage. Then again on the other hand, for $50 more than the Google Edition One, you could buy the developer's edition, get double the memory, and flash AOSP.

Neither one really seems like all that good of a buy.
    05-31-2013 08:52 AM
    I owned both the nexus 4 and T-mobile GS4, and I returned the GS4 due to the lags. I will buy the GS4 GE since there's no lag at all with stock android. Samsung really forced it with all the software that constantly running in background and contributed to lags that were unbearable for me considering the transition from nexus 4 to GS4. So if you don't want to root and a clean/no lag phone, then you should go with GE.
    06-02-2013 09:06 AM
    S4
    expandable storage
    expandable/interchangeable battery
    Better Battery Life
    A more rich colored display
    Better Daylight camera
    HSPA+

One
    50 Dollars cheaper
    Beats Audio
    A more crisp display
    Better Low light camera

I personally always liked HTC's build quality but the Samsung with the expandable battery is invaluable option for me.

If I had to choose I would go with S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    06-02-2013 09:27 AM
    S4
    expandable storage
    expandable/interchangeable battery
    Better Battery Life
    A more rich colored display
    Better Daylight camera
    HSPA+

One
    50 Dollars cheaper
    Beats Audio
    A more crisp display
    Better Low light camera

I personally always liked HTC's build quality but the Samsung with the expandable battery is invaluable option for me.

If I had to choose I would go with S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    HTC has had some pretty bad build quality for a while now.
    Evo, evo 3d, evo shift, one X, one s, Rezound, droid incredible, etc.

All those phones had build quality issues.

It's too early to tell with the one, it's only been out for a moment, but a broke company like htc, i can see them having build quality materials.

I'm just curious, what about htc build quality do you like?

06-02-2013 03:54 PM
    Well I have The One and the build quality and material quality seem to be second to none. Same as my htc evo lte that my daughter will use to replace her s3

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    06-02-2013 04:18 PM
    HTC has had some pretty bad build quality for a while now.
    Evo, evo 3d, evo shift, one X, one s, Rezound, droid incredible, etc.

All those phones had build quality issues.

It's too early to tell with the one, it's only been out for a moment, but a broke company like htc, i can see them having build quality materials.

I'm just curious, what about htc build quality do you like?

The EVO and One X had build quality issues? First I've heard of it.

HTC isn't broke, and they just released a successful and profitable device... So...

But, back on topic. Personally, there's no escaping that silly physical home button, over-saturated and unrealistic display, and cheap plastic. But that's just my opinion.

I figure the camera is of a higher quality on the S4, but the build materials, audio components, and display are all far more valuable on the One. IMHO, the One is the more valuable device, yet it's sold at a cheaper price. Win-Win.

Side note: I do not own the One or S4, nor do I intend to purchase either; fanboys need not reply as I'm as unbiased as they come.
    06-02-2013 04:24 PM
    The EVO and One X had build quality issues? First I've heard of it.

HTC isn't broke, and they just released a successful and profitable device... So...

But, back on topic. Personally, there's no escaping that silly physical home button, over-saturated and unrealistic display, and cheap plastic. But that's just my opinion.
    Yes, the evo (I had it) and one X have build quality issues.

Ports dying, dead spots on screens, speakers dying, yes build quality issues. The devices were poorly built.

And you don't like the home button, saturated colors, and the plastic, fine, but we weren't even talking about that, we were talking about the build quality.

What's wrong with the build quality?

06-02-2013 10:07 PM
    If I had to choose between the two the Samsung device would be the one I would purchase. I own the HTC one and I feel HTC screwed the pooch with the two button arrangment and the very flush power and volume rocker. At the end of the day plastic or metal wouldn't matter as my phone spends most of it's life in a case.
    jrvtecaccord likes this.
    06-02-2013 10:56 PM
    LTE IS 4G.

You basically said "htc had decided not to include 1700 antennas for 4G...just for 4G"

In areas where tmobile doesn't have LTE, with this phone you are stuck on edge.

Sent from my Nexus
    06-02-2013 10:58 PM
    Yes, the evo (I had it) and one X have build quality issues.

Ports dying, dead spots on screens, speakers dying, yes build quality issues. The devices were poorly built.

And you don't like the home button, saturated colors, and the plastic, fine, but we weren't even talking about that, we were talking about the build quality.

What's wrong with the build quality?

Again, not my experience.

And I was talking about the home button and etc. because that was the topic of the thread, comparing the two devices.

I don't know why you're asking me what's wrong with the build quality, I essentially asked you that. HTC has a solid reputation for the build of their devices which you've attempted to call into question.

I voiced my opinions on the topic of the thread, which was comparing the S4 against the One. Nothing more.
    06-03-2013 02:09 AM
    Again, not my experience.

And I was talking about the home button and etc. because that was the topic of the thread, comparing the two devices.

I don't know why you're asking me what's wrong with the build quality, I essentially asked you that. HTC has a solid reputation for the build of their devices which you've attempted to call into question.

I voiced my opinions on the topic of the thread, which was comparing the S4 against the One. Nothing more.
    Solid build?

I see those mentioned issues all the time from friends and people at work. It's always an issue with their phones and let's not even go there about their God awful battery life after 6 months to a year.

HTC has build quality issues, meanwhile Samsung has really great build quality but people always ignore it because the phone is plastic.

Half these idiots don't even understand that plastic has nothing to do with build quality.

And why is Samsung the only company that gets talked about negatively about plastic?

EVERY phone maker has used it.

Nokia still does Lg does, yet when Samsung does it it's suddenly a problem?

06-03-2013 08:25 AM
    And why is Samsung the only company that gets talked about negatively about plastic?

Because the Lumia 920 isn't the One's main competitor.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-03-2013 08:34 AM
    Solid build?

I see those mentioned issues all the time from friends and people at work. It's always an issue with their phones and let's not even go there about their God awful battery life after 6 months to a year.

HTC has build quality issues, meanwhile Samsung has really great build quality but people always ignore it because the phone is plastic.

Half these idiots don't even understand that plastic has nothing to do with build quality.

Take it easy. Every phone released has some manufacturing problems, not all of them can be 100% pristine (apple scuffgate, htc gapgate, whatever samsung phones get, etc.). That's just how it is when you mass produce anything, you're bound to get some faulties. A battery eroding after months or years of use is just something that's inevitable, but on the other hand only two manufacturers regardless of OS (Samsung, LG) still make phones with removable batteries. Instead of pinpointing HTC, try praising Samsung and LG for being in the game and still leaving the option possible because they're heavily outnumbered when it comes to making phones accessible to this extent.

As far as plastic goes, you're going to get those that lament plastic just as you get those that don't care about it. That's just how it is with people and opinions. I for one though, am glad that a metal android phone now exists. Simply because manufacturers will probably look to change materials. If materials get changed then there's less complaining to read. Samsung just got topped this year in terms of quality, it's not the end of the world. It's not like HTC is putting Samsung out of business, the S4 is still a premiere phone and has probably already sold a couple thousand by the time I get done typing this and proofreading. But Samsung most admittedly, is in the one OEM most in need for a design refresh and they'll probably look to do so with the S5, and so will other manufacturers.

What is considered to be a huge advantage to HTC in 2013, may not necessarily be that way in 2014.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    06-03-2013 10:33 AM
28 12