Once Google Edition is released, do you think developers will be able to tweak it to make it work on Verizon?
    I need it really badly because I can't stand the button layout and all that Samsung bloat (I'm used to Nexus).
    06-14-2013 07:04 PM
    Once Google Edition is released, do you think developers will be able to tweak it to make it work on Verizon?
    I need it really badly because I can't stand the button layout and all that Samsung bloat (I'm used to Nexus).
    Very unlikely given the different networks (gsm only device will not have the information needed to authenticate on a CDMA network and/or proper radios). The most likely win will be from a port made by the developer community as a flashable AOSP ROM for the standard Verizon S4. The buttons will be identical though on all versions. You might want to consider the Moto X which is rumored for release at the end of summer/beginning of fall or the HTC One which should be available sooner.
    06-14-2013 07:10 PM
    Very unlikely given the different networks (gsm only device will not have the information needed to authenticate on a CDMA network and/or proper radios). The most likely win will be from a port made by the developer community as a flashable AOSP ROM for the standard Verizon S4. The buttons will be identical though on all versions. You might want to consider the Moto X which is rumored for release at the end of summer/beginning of fall or the HTC One which should be available sooner.
    I already got GS4.
    The capacitive buttons can be disabled and the regular Nexus buttons could be brought back... It's been done on GS3.
    I'm hoping the GSM CDMA difference could be worked out in the code.

Definitely getting X if the camera is as good as GS4
    06-15-2013 07:00 AM
    I don't think Verizon and Sprint allow unlocked phones onto their networks. I went into Verizon trying to get this and they flat out told me they will not allow unlocked devices. It's why I stopped using Verizon.
    06-15-2013 07:49 PM
    You don't need to buy an unlocked phone to install aROM. you can unlock it yourself
    06-16-2013 07:03 AM
    I don't think Verizon and Sprint allow unlocked phones onto their networks. I went into Verizon trying to get this and they flat out told me they will not allow unlocked devices. It's why I stopped using Verizon.
    The unlock u speaking of is unlocking for gsm use. The unlocking buddy talking about is unlocking the bootloader so u can install an aosp rom thus making it a Google edition s4 on your own.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2
    06-16-2013 07:28 AM
    But isn't it more likely that all the functions will work correctly on the GE than a rooted GS4 running an aosp rom lacking the correct kernel?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    06-17-2013 11:51 AM