Google S4 availability and shipping?

irishrally

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't list the 1700 frequency so it might not work on tmo hspa unless you are in 1900 area. I think you can unlock the 1700 though like some s4 ATT users have.

Wish they had the black version but got the white anyway.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that the CPU listed for the Galaxy S4 Google Edition is the Qualcomm Snapdragon? S4 Pro. The HTC One GE lists the CPU as Qualcomm? Snapdragon? 600. Has the GE GS4 received a CPU downgrade? I wasn't aware of a GS4 with a S4 Pro CPU. The S4 pro is the same CPU in the Nexus 4. Is it just a typo on the webpage? I sure hope so.

Very interesting. I've seen reviews that say its the 600 though. I'd love to Get clarification on this.

TrivialTweeter

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that they removed the "Galaxy S4" branding from the back battery cover of the phone. It only says Samsung on the back of the Google Edition model.

If only they removed the Samsung branding from the front of the phone and released it in black instead of white. It would look a lot sexier. I really like the all black face of the GNex and the N4. Oh well, I ordered one anyways.

Could it be that Google wants to keep the Nexus series of devices black, and have the Google Edition phones be white?

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It's been a couple hours since I've watched AC/Engadget/Verge videos on these phones, and I'm not able to right now, is it true these updates come through HTC/Samsung instead of Google? If so, that's a major bummer.

I just noticed that they removed the "Galaxy S4" branding from the back battery cover of the phone. It only says Samsung on the back of the Google Edition model.

If only they removed the Samsung branding from the front of the phone and released it in black instead of white. It would look a lot sexier. I really like the all black face of the GNex and the N4. Oh well, I ordered one anyways.

Could it be that Google wants to keep the Nexus series of devices black, and have the Google Edition phones be white?

0ShRv7t.png

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, this is not normally me. I don't typically rant. But after living through the N4 debacle and now *this*...i have too. Sorry in advance. So...I call my credit card company IN ADVANCE of the sale, let them know i'm going to be charging a large amount-- $1400 or so-- to Google...I'm buying one S4 for me and one for my friend who doesn't have a credit card. "No problem," they say. "We're advised of the sale. You have plenty of credit available." I make sure my card is active and the default method of purchase on google wallet. No issues or warning signs. I make the purchase today at around 11am MST. I get a preliminary order number blah blah blah. Go on about my day. Then, as I'm settling into a late supper, i get an email. Guess who? Yep. Google. My order has been cancelled. Now to reiterate: All my c-card info is up to date. Address and phone and email etc, all match billing and shipping address info. Credit line? More than ample. But Google thinks something is fishy. So, they nix the order. Next thing i'm on the phone with a rep (poor guy: i'm pissed now, cause I was riding F5 for like 2 hours this morning and thought everything was kosher). He says I'll need to re-login to google wallet and give supporting documentation verifying who i am. Whaaaaat? (Deep breaths.) I'm careful not to vent *at* this guy, but I tell him, this ish needs to be fixed. Someone needs to be fired. Cause 2 launches with f-ups this is two too many. I give you a valid credit card, my cardholding company says "you're good to go!" and you decide to kill the order. Based on what? He can't tell me of course. So minutes later i'm HandyScanning my passport and driver's license so it can be sent into Google's crack team of fraud preventers...3-5 business days to process. I've lost my order, my place in line, and wasted 3+ hours of my day. Full disclosure now: I love the overall products that Google makes, but this customer service/launch day thing HAS TO BE FIXED. As I'm telling the supervisor, who I've commandeered, on the phone, "you guys are the LARGEST internet company in the world, why can't you get these launches straight? You need to fix this. Seriously. I'm trying to give you my money. Why can't you get this right?" Sigh.

Sorry all. It's just a bummer. I'm utterly dispirited. Does this little technology hiccup matter in the large scheme of things? no. I'm using an N4 that's a perfectly capable phone. Ultimately, will i get the phones?...albeit, 5 or 6 days later than expected? Yes. I'm sure I will. Is it possible I'm in the minority or even the only one who had problems? Yes, it is. But if Apple can do this ish well (and i bought their products from 2007-2011 without *any* issues), then WHY CAN'T GOOGLE? Rant over. Hope all of your ordering experiences were better than mine.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this is not normally me. I don't typically rant. But after living through the N4 debacle and now *this*...i have too. Sorry in advance. So...I call my credit card company IN ADVANCE of the sale, let them know i'm going to be charging a large amount-- $1400 or so-- to Google...I'm buying one S4 for me and one for my friend who doesn't have a credit card. "No problem," they say. "We're advised of the sale. You have plenty of credit available." I make sure my card is active and the default method of purchase on google wallet. No issues or warning signs. I make the purchase today at around 11am MST. I get a preliminary order number blah blah blah. Go on about my day. Then, as I'm settling into a late supper, i get an email. Guess who? Yep. Google. My order has been cancelled. Now to reiterate: All my c-card info is up to date. Address and phone and email etc, all match billing and shipping address info. Credit line? More than ample. But Google thinks something is fishy. So, they nix the order. Next thing i'm on the phone with a rep (poor guy: i'm pissed now, cause I was riding F5 for like 2 hours this morning and thought everything was kosher). He says I'll need to re-login to google wallet and give supporting documentation verifying who i am. Whaaaaat? (Deep breaths.) I'm careful not to vent *at* this guy, but I tell him, this ish needs to be fixed. Someone needs to be fired. Cause 2 launches with f-ups this is two too many. I give you a valid credit card, my cardholding company says "you're good to go!" and you decide to kill the order. Based on what? He can't tell me of course. So minutes later i'm HandyScanning my passport and driver's license so it can be sent into Google's crack team of fraud preventers...3-5 business days to process. I've lost my order, my place in line, and wasted 3+ hours of my day. Full disclosure now: I love the overall products that Google makes, but this customer service/launch day thing HAS TO BE FIXED. As I'm telling the supervisor, who I've commandeered, on the phone, "you guys are the LARGEST internet company in the world, why can't you get these launches straight? You need to fix this. Seriously. I'm trying to give you my money. Why can't you get this right?" Sigh.

Sorry all. It's just a bummer. I'm utterly dispirited. Does this little technology hiccup matter in the large scheme of things? no. I'm using an N4 that's a perfectly capable phone. Ultimately, will i get the phones?...albeit, 5 or 6 days later than expected? Yes. I'm sure I will. Is it possible I'm in the minority or even the only one who had problems? Yes, it is. But if Apple can do this ish well (and i bought their products from 2007-2011 without *any* issues), then WHY CAN'T GOOGLE? Rant over. Hope all of your ordering experiences were better than mine.

How have you lost your place in line? They are still quoting the same ship date.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
soma4society, do you use Google Wallet on a regular basis? I had to verify my identity early on in my Google Wallet use (after my third transaction). It wasn't for a phone purchase, but a purchase in a store using the PayPass terminal. I was told that everyone would have to verify their identity this way, similar to how I had to verify my identity for my online stock trading.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
How have you lost your place in line? They are still quoting the same ship date.

Indeed they are. I said that without having returned to the page to check. I think my (admittedly frustrated) thought process at the time was, they'll ship the units out in the order they received the purchases...again, the Nexus launch survivor in me.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
soma4society, do you use Google Wallet on a regular basis? I had to verify my identity early on in my Google Wallet use (after my third transaction). It wasn't for a phone purchase, but a purchase in a store using the PayPass terminal. I was told that everyone would have to verify their identity this way, similar to how I had to verify my identity for my online stock trading.

No, I don't use it regularly so your explanation makes sense. I guess their logic leaves me wondering: if *everyone* is going to have to go through that verification process, why not make it a part of the initial sign-up process for Wallet? At least that way I would have known a few days back that the account was on hold until they reviewed my docs, which I could have sent to them days ago IF I'd been tipped off about encountering this additional security step. Like Mattopotamus noted, they're still available and the ship date is still July 9. Of course I can't take advantage of this until their team clears my Wallet account for use again, so present availability is something of an irony in my case. I suppose I could de-link my credit card info from Wallet and then just go in and make a regular purchase through play checkout. Wonder if that would work. Sure would be better than waiting 3-5 business days.

Edit: Lol, no I can't do that cause they've effectively frozen access to my Wallet account until the review process is over. Cant make any changes or new purchases, period.

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree that it would make more sense and be easier if this were required in the beginning. I can't remember if I was given a reason for this when I did my verification. I was told that the overall process is a post-9/11 guideline.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Indeed they are. I said that without having returned to the page to check. I think my (admittedly frustrated) thought process at the time was, they'll ship the units out in the order they received the purchases...again, the Nexus launch survivor in me.

In the end, I decided to just buy a subsidized One from att for $99 (they are half off right now), and I will load cm 10.1, which I like better than stock b.c of pie.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One has been getting rave reviews everywhere, but something about it held me back from pulling the trigger. My main concerns were the Ultrapixel camera and how it would operate without the proprietary HTC software, the non-removable battery and the lack of an SD card slot (although 32GB of storage is more than enough for me). I always use cases on all my phones, so the aluminum unibody is inconsequential to me. For these reasons, I went with the S4. Like everyone else who ordered one of these phones, I'm now awaiting shipping confirmation!

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to believe that none of these phones will ship before July 9. There has so far been no indication that they would. I ordered within minutes of them coming online, and my shipping status says that it will ship on July 9.

The HTC One has been getting rave reviews everywhere, but something about it held me back from pulling the trigger. My main concerns were the Ultrapixel camera and how it would operate without the proprietary HTC software, the non-removable battery and the lack of an SD card slot (although 32GB of storage is more than enough for me). I always use cases on all my phones, so the aluminum unibody is inconsequential to me. For these reasons, I went with the S4. Like everyone else who ordered one of these phones, I'm now awaiting shipping confirmation!

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
"Estimated Ship Date: July 9, 2013" is what it says specifically, and I'd be surprised if it says something earlier for anybody else. It's a bit pathetic of them to fall two weeks behind on the shipment. They shouldn't have promised the June 26 date in the first place.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
"Estimated Ship Date: July 9, 2013" is what it says specifically, and I'd be surprised if it says something earlier for anybody else. It's a bit pathetic of them to fall two weeks behind on the shipment. They shouldn't have promised the June 26 date in the first place.

Strangely, I now have a pending charge for my phone and I recall it saying I would not be charged until shipping. That may be a lie, or, they may just be testing that I have the funds. Will be keeping an eye on it, though.

FWIW, I ordered the One.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Strangely, I now have a pending charge for my phone and I recall it saying I would not be charged until shipping. That may be a lie, or, they may just be testing that I have the funds. Will be keeping an eye on it, though.

FWIW, I ordered the One.

That pending will drop off. Its normal. Everyone gets the pending for a few days

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37