Google S4 availability and shipping?

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My account now says "Processing", not Pending. Hope this means it is ready to ship. I will check the bank account in the morning and see if the transaction is completed.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to believe that none of these phones will ship before July 9. There has so far been no indication that they would. I ordered within minutes of them coming online, and my shipping status says that it will ship on July 9.

Just because they were available to order does not mean they were ready to ship yesterday. Why do you think they will not ship on or around 7/9? I'll bet you get it within a few days of the 9th. I do not believe this demand is like it was for the Nexus 4.

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, bank account still indicates "processing", which is normal for debit card activity. Actually, restaurant from yesterday also has processing beside the debit amount. One thing that I noticed from the google play store is this

"Status
Your purchase is processing."

I did not see that yesterday, but could have just missed it.

I will update if things change later today.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Here goes the madness.... constantly checking the bank accounts and order status and reading too far into every minor detail. Get a grip guys. You'll get your phone LOL.

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we will get our phones. No sense in someone like you coming onto the discussion and making your little girl snide remarks. If you don't like what is being discussed, go back down to the basement. Some of us are looking forward to getting an upgraded device and you are invited to mind your own business.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here - a temporary authorization on my credit card and the "Your purchase is processing" status on Google Play. I'm not expecting it to ship until July 9, but I also don't see the purpose of making in available for sale when it wasn't ready to ship. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as the Nexus 4 fiasco.

@wilbarger: I always look forward to getting new devices and this one is no exception. In fact, it's been a while since I've been this excited about a new device.

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I am still using my rooted S2 Skyrocket, which is my favorite phone ever. I am reluctantly upgrading and plan on giving the S2 to my wife. I love technology and have since before the first PC's came out. I am retired, but not brain dead - yet. Keeps me fresh coming to these forums and seeing what the younger generation is doing.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I am still using my rooted S2 Skyrocket, which is my favorite phone ever. I am reluctantly upgrading and plan on giving the S2 to my wife. I love technology and have since before the first PC's came out. I am retired, but not brain dead - yet. Keeps me fresh coming to these forums and seeing what the younger generation is doing.

You're never too old for tech! You'll be swapping your S2 not only for what's currently the best Android device on the market (In my humble opinion, it's better than the HTC One), but one that's free of carrier meddling and will receive timely updates. You really can't go wrong.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

+1 to our generation...60+ here and although I really am continuing to be happy with my S2, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on this S4. Fortunately at our stage in life it's not as much a $$ thing as it used to be

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So...anyone get a shipping confirmation yet? ;)

The anticipation is killing me. I'm really looking forward to getting this device.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So...anyone get a shipping confirmation yet? ;)

The anticipation is killing me. I'm really looking forward to getting this device.

I haven't (and ordered within minutes of it becoming available). However I'm thinking of canceling it. It just increasingly seems like a lot of money compared to putting stock Android a regular S4, given that the regular version is $450 cheaper when you factor in a voice and data plan with LTE. Maybe for half of that money I can pay somebody to root it for me!

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't (and ordered within minutes of it becoming available). However I'm thinking of canceling it. It just increasingly seems like a lot of money compared to putting stock Android a regular S4, given that the regular version is $450 cheaper when you factor in a voice and data plan with LTE. Maybe for half of that money I can pay somebody to root it for me!

I agree with what you've said in the other thread - unlocked phones, Google Editions or otherwise, are an expensive habit. It is, however, well worth it. I am no longer into custom ROMs and would rather have a stock, unskinned, non-carrier-branded device. I'm an AT&T subscriber; while their service is excellent, they don't believe in updating Android devices. My GS3 is still running 4.1.1 and there's no word when 4.1.2 will be released. I'm actually flipping my GS3 on eBay, which will cover a large chunk of GS4GE's cost. I change phones about once a year, so I make sure to keep my devices in perfect condition - reselling them helps feed my gadget habit!

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you've said in the other thread - unlocked phones, Google Editions or otherwise, are an expensive habit. It is, however, well worth it. I am no longer into custom ROMs and would rather have a stock, unskinned, non-carrier-branded device. I'm an AT&T subscriber; while their service is excellent, they don't believe in updating Android devices. My GS3 is still running 4.1.1 and there's no word when 4.1.2 will be released. I'm actually flipping my GS3 on eBay, which will cover a large chunk of GS4GE's cost. I change phones about once a year, so I make sure to keep my devices in perfect condition - reselling them helps feed my gadget habit!

Isn't it fairly straightforward to root these phones and put stock Android on it? I'm still relatively new to Android and don't know how hard it is.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Rooting is easy. However, you will not receive updates when the new software is released.

So right now I would be able to put 4.2 stock Android on my S4?

How long after 4.3 is released would I have to wait, roughly, before that stock ROM becomes available? Are we talking about weeks, months?

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So right now I would be able to put 4.2 stock Android on my S4?

How long after 4.3 is released would I have to wait, roughly, before that stock ROM becomes available? Are we talking about weeks, months?

From what I've been reading, devs have already ported the leaked 4.3 to the S4. Keep in mind, this is not a stock ROM, but a custom ROM based on the stock. There's reason to believe that once a stock ROM is released, a custom ROM for the carrier variants should follow shortly thereafter.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
From what I've been reading, devs have already ported the leaked 4.3 to the S4. Keep in mind, this is not a stock ROM, but a custom ROM based on the stock. There's reason to believe that once a stock ROM is released, a custom ROM for the carrier variants should follow shortly thereafter.

As to 4.3: Are such custom ROMs as good as stock ROMs, i.e., will performance be on par with the "Google Edition" variants?

As to 4.2: Are these already available so I could make my S4 something virtually indistinguishable from a Google Edition (software and performance wise) now?

Finally, could anybody point me to a tutorial showing how to do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech