Google Edition Doesn't save pictures to memory card

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I just read that over at Anandtech and that's very disappointing. I suppose I'm not too surprised since stock android phones don't support memory cards, but that sort of does make me rethink getting this now over the HTC, which has more internal memory.

You would have to use a third party camera app and a file manager that even then likely still wouldn't work how I wanted.

Any suggestions?

"AnandTech | HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition Review - Nearly Nexus" http://feedly.com/k/14tKrB4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I just read that over at Anandtech and that's very disappointing. I suppose I'm not too surprised since stock android phones don't support memory cards, but that sort of does make me rethink getting this now over the HTC, which has more internal memory.

You would have to use a third party camera app and a file manager that even then likely still wouldn't work how I wanted.

Any suggestions?

"AnandTech | HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition Review - Nearly Nexus" http://feedly.com/k/14tKrB4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The GE S4 does have almost 2 gigs more storage though, so it may not be as big of an issue.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
This is taken from the Official Google Play Store product page:

Use a microSD card ? (not included) to import photos, music, movies and more. <-- Notice nothing about saving to it.

....and, if that wasn't enough evidence (also from the official page):

MicroSD card only compatible with select third party applications. Not compatible with Google services.

Dunno, 16GB is just not enough for me to use WITH the camera. For apps only sure because I don't use too much, but not with the camera or HD video.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am disappointed too. You can use a file utility like Astro file to move them from internal memory to the SD card but I wonder why they did not add this? The added the code to make the file cover work with this model because that is not pure vanilla android but left the ability to save directly to the SD card out. Nonsense...

I also would not get the HTC ONE GE until google wallet is confirmed to be working.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed too. You can use a file utility like Astro file to move them from internal memory to the SD card but I wonder why they did not add this? The added the code to make the file cover work with this model because that is not pure vanilla android but left the ability to save directly to the SD card out. Nonsense...

I also would not get the HTC ONE GE until google wallet is confirmed to be working.

Because in order for saving to SD to work they would have had to rewrite significant portions of the OS and almost all of the built in applications. The limited support the device has for SD was certainly coded by Samsung and is not built into the OS.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Because in order for saving to SD to work they would have had to rewrite significant portions of the OS and almost all of the built in applications. The limited support the device has for SD was certainly coded by Samsung and is not built into the OS.

Just for pictures, video and music?

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

This is not true. Android was built with SD cards in mind. Multiple SD cards ... not so much. Still, the groundwork is there, and it's trivial to add support in the applications. Google doesn't add access to the "external" card in its interfaces because their designer thinks people would find it too confusing.

All applications that support the external should be working. I haven't verified that, but there's no reason they shouldn't work.

Android services (which don't have a UI) should support the SD card without issue. The primary one that springs to mind is the MediaScanner which allows you to play music and view pictures located on the "external" card.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This is not true. Android was built with SD cards in mind. Multiple SD cards ... not so much. Still, the groundwork is there, and it's trivial to add support in the applications. Google doesn't add access to the "external" card in its interfaces because their designer thinks people would find it too confusing.

All applications that support the external should be working. I haven't verified that, but there's no reason they shouldn't work.

Android services (which don't have a UI) should support the SD card without issue. The primary one that springs to mind is the MediaScanner which allows you to play music and view pictures located on the "external" card.

Android does not support external sd cards. It hasn't for almost two years. The code is not there.

esh318

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit of a bummer, but the SD card will still be useful. I plan on putting all my music and videos on the SD card and using the DoubleTwist app to play them. I have about 30 GB of music, so it wouldn't fit on the built-in memory. In my opinion, DoubleTwist is a better music player than the Google Play Music app anyway.

graye

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The APIs aren't there.
So, you're saying that I can't mount/unmount an external SD card in newer versions of Android? And that I can't read/write to that mounted device in newer versions of Android? And, that my applications that specifically target reading/writing to an external SD card will cease to do so in new versions of Android?

Really?

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So, you're saying that I can't mount/unmount an external SD card in newer versions of Android? And that I can't read/write to that mounted device in newer versions of Android? And, that my applications that specifically target reading/writing to an external SD card will cease to do so in new versions of Android?

Really?

Not in stock android, no. The GE S4 borrows the drivers from the regular S4 to get it to work.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not in stock android, no. The GE S4 borrows the drivers from the regular S4 to get it to work.

So the GE Galaxy S4 will be allow for storing pictures taken with the camera onto SD card? Pretty sure I've seen a review or 2 mention that it cannot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So the GE Galaxy S4 will be allow for storing pictures taken with the camera onto SD card? Pretty sure I've seen a review or 2 mention that it cannot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's not what I said.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, so cite your references... show me where context.getExternalStorageState() and context.getExternalFilesDir() have been removed from the API

Ah my apologies. The APIs are there, all of the hooks in the os are gone though. (Hence the reason the stock camera app can't save to sd )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae