Google Edition Doesn't save pictures to memory card

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
very sad to find this out... already bought an sd card, not a fan of using a third party camera app either.

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine will be tomorrow and I could care less if I can't store pics on an SD card! Reason being is that I have a 16GB iphone 5 for my other line with god knows how many apps and roughly 1,300 pics on it and have no issues at all.

Now with my GE S4 I would rather take pics and then download them to Drop Box for cloud storage. Because at the end if the day I highly doubt that my next phone after the S4 will have support for an SD card anyway. It's not like the old days when you switch phones and just about every phone has an SD slot and moving memory around was a breeze. Those days are long gone!

Xceptiona1

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
When I first bought the google s4 everything was fine android 4.2.2 last night 4.3 updated to my phone and now they took away access to SDcards form applications, meaning that even astro cannot copy files to the sdcard...it sees it, it can play/view stuff, but no write support to the sd card from apps (which astro is an app). This sucks, I spend $1400 on two phones after researching so long and now they are both crappy peices of junk because google for no reason decided hey guys lets disable SD a month after we sell these phones! yipee!

I really think they will have to patch this to function like it did in 4.2.2 because most of my apps no longer work.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
When I first bought the google s4 everything was fine android 4.2.2 last night 4.3 updated to my phone and now they took away access to SDcards form applications, meaning that even astro cannot copy files to the sdcard...it sees it, it can play/view stuff, but no write support to the sd card from apps (which astro is an app). This sucks, I spend $1400 on two phones after researching so long and now they are both crappy peices of junk because google for no reason decided hey guys lets disable SD a month after we sell these phones! yipee!

I really think they will have to patch this to function like it did in 4.2.2 because most of my apps no longer work.

ES file explorer can still do it. I was using Astro also and loss the ability with the 4.3 update. Also if you are using a camera app that could save pics to SD card before 4.3, email the developer and let them know. I emailed procapture and JB+ camera to let them know that the apps can no longer save pics on SD card in 4.3 on the S4 Google Edition.

jonnyships

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
ES is doing something tricky. Some files will delete, some won't, and you won't know until you reboot the device. I'd hate to copy a gig of photos over and find out only half of them copied over or none of them.

It also doesn't solve apps like PocketCasts or my handful of emulators that can't write to the SD anymore.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
ES is doing something tricky. Some files will delete, some won't, and you won't know until you reboot the device. I'd hate to copy a gig of photos over and find out only half of them copied over or none of them.

It also doesn't solve apps like PocketCasts or my handful of emulators that can't write to the SD anymore.

I saw your posts with the Dev of ez file explorer. I have not noticed this with es. I shut down every night and reboot every morning and all my changes to the external SD card have stayed. That is- moving photos from the camera folder in the internal memory to my pictures folder on the external SD card. I have also deleted older pictures from the external SD card (I have 1300 photos on it.)

So it seems to be permanent for me unless I am missing something. Also Jerry mentioned he tested ES and it does work.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using the Amazon photo drive app to auto upload pics to? Thoughts about it?

Sent from my kicka$$ GT-I9505G

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So have we given up on getting this issue fixed.? I see everyone talking about work arounds, but the more work arounds we come up with the less they will feel pressured to fix this. I for one want this issue fixed. NOW

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So have we given up on getting this issue fixed.? I see everyone talking about work arounds, but the more work arounds we come up with the less they will feel pressured to fix this. I for one want this issue fixed. NOW

I have not given up but would feel better if they at least acknowledged the issue. The issue is this is such a small number of phones we have not had the impact.

Has anyone hit them up on facebook or twitter? I do not use social media.

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So i just got off the phone with Samsung and the first rep wanted no parts of this and hung up.. The second rep spoke with a shift manager and he told me that they (Samsung) are aware of the issue (Thats good news) BUT he also said there is no fix coming from Samsung. He stated that Google will be furnishing the fix, but he has no eta. Now this news struck me as odd as Google wants to do away with the SD card so them coming up with a fix to re-enable write access to an SD card seems crazy.

Ill keep a positive outlook..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So i just got off the phone with Samsung and the first rep wanted no parts of this and hung up.. The second rep spoke with a shift manager and he told me that they (Samsung) are aware of the issue (Thats good news) BUT he also said there is no fix coming from Samsung. He stated that Google will be furnishing the fix, but he has no eta. Now this news struck me as odd as Google wants to do away with the SD card so them coming up with a fix to re-enable write access to an SD card seems crazy.

Ill keep a positive outlook..

Good news I guess...I guess this phone is kinda in no man's land...in between Google and Samsung. Both can point the finger at the other. This should be Samsung's issue to fix and google pushes the update. If we have warranty issues with this they would go to Samsung not Google.

I requested a refund on day 15 of having this phone and have not heard anything back from Google and that was last Friday. I probably will not send it back because even with this issue it is still a kick a$$ device!

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Funny I just got an email from Google asking me to wipe my phone and if that doesn't fix it they want to send me a replacement device. I don't get them for a tech company they really seem to not have a clue.

I told them to get a S4GE and test it themselves.. Rather than trouble shoot they want you to wipe your phone and waste your time. Such foolishness.

Sent from another Galaxy..
S4 Google Edition...

spacolin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
For me the biggest problem with apps not being able to write to the external sd card for me is camera apps. The only camera app I found that had the option to save pictures AND videos directly after taking them to the sd card was "camera jb+" Which worked great before the 4.3 update. Right after I got the 4.3 update I emailed the developer of the app and explained the problem. He responded the next day and said he was working on a fix. If more people email him and ask for a fix maybe we can get this solved without a update from Google.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
For me the biggest problem with apps not being able to write to the external sd card for me is camera apps. The only camera app I found that had the option to save pictures AND videos directly after taking them to the sd card was "camera jb+" Which worked great before the 4.3 update. Right after I got the 4.3 update I emailed the developer of the app and explained the problem. He responded the next day and said he was working on a fix. If more people email him and ask for a fix maybe we can get this solved without a update from Google.

Yes the Dev for jb+ is awesome but I doubt he can fix the app. As I understand it the issue need root to fix and that makes it hard on developers. We need the OS fix with that kind of code added.

Laurie Dunnett

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
hi
I have updated to 4.2.2 and can no longer write to the external sd card, I have tried using es explorer and various other apps without any success. I have been in contact via email with Samsung support and they advise doing a factory reset, but unless this downgrades to the previous android version I cant see it helping, has anyone found a fix yet?

anon(92709)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted. Download xposed framework and get a module that saves pics to the SD card instead of the main storage. There's one for Googles play music too.
yvanusus.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

neato

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks, I have an ZTE Supreme, is a cheap phone prepaid, but I like it very much. It does have the same issue where you can only "transfer" media files to the 2nd External SD card then those files will be seen and you can access them, so currently I have a 16 GB Ext SD card and is full with music,video,movies and pics. It works just fine, I just have to be careful with the Apps I install and move them to the internal SD card. I played around with link2sd but it's a pain, you must partition the External SD card then link the Apps, Games and Utilities/Tools and it works ok but I like to keep things simple.

This is taken from the Official Google Play Store product page:

Use a microSD card ? (not included) to import photos, music, movies and more. <-- Notice nothing about saving to it.

....and, if that wasn't enough evidence (also from the official page):

MicroSD card only compatible with select third party applications. Not compatible with Google services.

Dunno, 16GB is just not enough for me to use WITH the camera. For apps only sure because I don't use too much, but not with the camera or HD video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar