Is S4 Google Edition a complete waste of $450?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there any point in spending $449 extra to get the Google Edition phone?

But this is not the plans I and everybody else gets when they go to the AT&T website (Cell Phone Plans, Data Plans, Prepaid Plans, & Family Plans from AT&T). For instance I'm getting e.g., a 3 GB amount (adequate for my usage) for $30 and then pay another $39.99 for 450 minutes of talk. That's $70 total. I don't need much SMS given Google talk etc, and am happy paying a few bucks extra a month on a per use basis if I need them. So at the very best you're making a case for sacrificing higher data speed, more talk minutes, and pay-by-use SMS on AT&T for substantially slower data speeds, less talk minutes, yet unlimited SMS on T-Mobile, with both plans being in the $70 range. And you spent a load of bucks to pay your phone up front, so really the AT&T plan is $20 cheaper since it includes the payment of the phone.

EDIT: Ah, I think the misunderstanding is that you're looking in the mobile share plan section. That's not what most of us would use. Look at the site I sent and you will understand.

$120+$30

View attachment 72978

View attachment 72979

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

madtowneast

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

But this is not the plans I and everybody else gets when they go to the AT&T website (Cell Phone Plans, Data Plans, Prepaid Plans, & Family Plans from AT&T). For instance I'm getting e.g., a 3 GB amount (adequate for my usage) for $30 and then pay another $39.99 for 450 minutes of talk. That's $70 total. I don't need much SMS given Google talk etc, and am happy paying a few bucks extra a month on a per use basis if I need them. So at the very best you're making a case for sacrificing higher data speed, more talk minutes, and pay-by-use SMS on AT&T for substantially slower data speeds, less talk minutes, yet unlimited SMS on T-Mobile, with both plans being in the $70 range. And you spent a load of bucks to pay your phone up front, so really the AT&T plan is $20 cheaper since it includes the payment of the phone.

EDIT: Ah, I think the misunderstanding is that you're looking in the mobile share plan section. That's not what most of us would use. Look at the site I sent and you will understand.

With T-Mobile at $70 price point you get unlimited talk, text, and web with either postpaid and prepaid. I dont quite see how you got to $70 on a $30 plan with similar features (lets say you can use VOIP for 350 minutes), even considering the phone cost of $450 extra you only pay $18.75 per month over 2 years that brings it to $48.75 per month. Also $20 over 2 years is $480, so you are paying $680 for the phone in the end not $650

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

You may have a defective phone. When I swipe it works the first time.

Also doing so little is just that, doing so little compared to the regular version.

Touchwiz improves the experience, I get more.

More camera features
More functions
More options

Just more

Now if stock Android caught up with the skins there wouldn't be a need for skins

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

There's no argument here, you two just have different preferences. You want the features of Touchwiz while kgbkny wants the leanness of stock Android. This is the beauty of having GE devices available, so that everyone can have his or her preferences. Some people don't need or want two different ways to do screenshots while others do. Some people don't want a backyard while others do; this is why there is a market for houses and a market for condos.

Stock Android does adopt features that are found in skins sometimes. That's part of the reason why most people think that the Jellybean version of Android is better than the Eclair version of Android. Yes it has a smoother operation, but there are also more features. For those that think that the stock Android features are enough, the skinned-versions of Android is a whole bunch of junk that people don't want. For those that enjoy the features of skins, the skinned-versions are still available. The whole world doesn't eat fried chicken, why should everyone be stuck with skinned phones?

Droid4Core

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
You can make a regular us carrier s4 into a Google edition with little to no effort. I have Att to so I could describe the exact method for you if you wanted. It can be exactly the same down to the boot animation, camera and wallpaper. And in not talking about cyanogem mod as stock. You can flash the exact ROM pulled strait off the Google edition s4 for 400$ cheaper. So in other words(unless your a developer and want a completely unlocked boot loader) its a complete waste of money!

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

You may have a defective phone. When I swipe it works the first time.

Also doing so little is just that, doing so little compared to the regular version.

Touchwiz improves the experience, I get more.

More camera features
More functions
More options

Just more

Now if stock Android caught up with the skins there wouldn't be a need for skins

No, my phone is just fine. Again, I don't care about gimmicky features that do nothing but bloat up the phone. Same goes with my PCs - if I get a brand name machine, first thing I do is uninstall all the bloat that the manufacturers insist on loading it up with. If you prefer TouchWiz, that's all fine and dandy. However, if TouchWiz was really that much better, don't you think CyanogenMod wouldn't have anywhere nearly as much popularity as it does?

More functions and more options? I guess you think that more is always better, regardless of whether it actually adds to the value of the device. To each their own, I guess. As far as stock Android catching up with skins. it has surpassed them a long time ago. The only reason why manufacturers insist on skins is to differentiate their devices from one another. I've used quite a few skinned devices and not one of them even comes close to stock Android performance.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

No, my phone is just fine. Again, I don't care about gimmicky features that do nothing but bloat up the phone. Same goes with my PCs - if I get a brand name machine, first thing I do is uninstall all the bloat that the manufacturers insist on loading it up with. If you prefer TouchWiz, that's all fine and dandy. However, if TouchWiz was really that much better, don't you think CyanogenMod wouldn't have anywhere nearly as much popularity as it does?

More functions and more options? I guess you think that more is always better, regardless of whether it actually adds to the value of the device. To each their own, I guess. As far as stock Android catching up with skins. it has surpassed them a long time ago. The only reason why manufacturers insist on skins is to differentiate their devices from one another. I've used quite a few skinned devices and not one of them even comes close to stock Android performance.

I have to say I agree here. Most of the skins do nothing more than diminish performance. And all the rest are gimmicky. Pure android is best as its designed to run as Google intends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can make a regular us carrier s4 into a Google edition with little to no effort. I have Att to so I could describe the exact method for you if you wanted. It can be exactly the same down to the boot animation, camera and wallpaper. And in not talking about cyanogem mod as stock. You can flash the exact ROM pulled strait off the Google edition s4 for 400$ cheaper. So in other words(unless your a developer and want a completely unlocked boot loader) its a complete waste of money!

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Can you show me where I can get a regular S4 unlocked for $250?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I also wouldn't mind seeing where I can get an off contract S4 for $250. ;)

His/her point is that the AT&T monthly plan costs that covers the phone subsidization costs the same as plans by other carriers that do not cover it, so get the phone for $199 total.

And if you don't like the carrier (unlikely) you can always leave AT&T on your first day of service, pay a $350 ETF, and go to T-Mobile with an S4 you got for $350+$199=$549, i.e., $100 cheaper than the overpriced Google Edition version.

He/she's right that unless you want a completely unlocked bootloader for some reason, the S4 GE is a waste of money.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
His/her point is that the AT&T monthly plan costs that covers the phone subsidization costs the same as plans by other carriers that do not cover it, so get the phone for $199 total.

And if you don't like the carrier (unlikely) you can always leave AT&T on your first day of service, pay a $350 ETF, and go to T-Mobile with an S4 you got for $350+$199=$549, i.e., $100 cheaper than the overpriced Google Edition version.

He/she's right that unless you want a completely unlocked bootloader for some reason, the S4 GE is a waste of money.

You really do not understand the point of getting an unlocked phone.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Clarification, you're not eligible to pay the ETF until the buyer's remorse period is over or on the 15th day in most states. This means that you would also have to pay the service fee for those 15 days, which will decrease the amount of savings that you would have if you did this. You would also have to wait until the ETF cleared AT&T's system before they would unlock the phone in some cases, or pay for an unlock code, which would further decrease your savings. I would prefer not to have to deal with that level of trouble and just buy the phone unlocked in the first place.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Functions agent gimmicks.

They work and work well.

Android has not caught up with touchwiz or sense, not even close.

Name 5 things stock Android can do that skinned Android can't.

Go ahead, I'll wait!

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Name 5 things stock Android can do that skinned Android can't.

Go ahead, I'll wait!

Name 5 features that are not gimmicks that TouchWiz can do better than stock Android. Go ahead, I'll wait!

By the way, read the review located at the following link. Even the pros agree that TouchWiz is mostly gimmicky bloat.

Review: The Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play Edition is great (for now) | Ars Technica

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Link please? I don't think Verizon sells $250 unlocked smartphones.

Other than the DNA, can you get ANY unlocked device from Verizon Wireless that will actually work on another network?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Link please? I don't think Verizon sells $250 unlocked smartphones.

Sure
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24...s-required-by-fcc-network-access-regulations/

The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

Basically says that all their 4g phones have to be unlocked.

It does in fact work, I picked up a lumia 822 and popped my T-mobile sim inside and it works.

Same with the galaxy s 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech