08-22-2013 10:52 AM
60 123
tools
    Give this a try. The phone doesn't ship with LTE turned on.

A possible LTE option missing, solution - xda-developers
    This was helpful, thanks for posting it. I had no issues with my phone *initially*, but noticed that after my first phone reboot I lost LTE. I have been on HSPA since then until I tried Notification Toggle in the link you provided, which seems to work nicely. I now have stable LTE. Only thing I found after playing around with it a little is if I switch to 2G, then my phone loses LTE and reverts to H again. I then have to go back into the 4G toggle as described in the link and re-set the preferred network type. I realize this won't be an issue for many people as few buy a phone like this and opt to turn on 2G, it's just I used to leave my phone on Edge to save battery most of the time, figuring there was no point in having 3G/LTE radios on if it was just sitting in my pocket. Small price to pay tho! :-)
    07-18-2013 12:57 PM
    Ok I got mine fixed. Calling Customer Care doesnt resolve ANYTHING! The answer for me was to walk into a store, give them the IMEI and explain to them the data issues. She said "In my experience its weird but sometimes we need to reissue an SIM Card in order to make the data work properly". I then explained that she may want to use the IMEI from her Work Galaxy S4 and then swap it with mine once its registered on my account. She heard me but she didnt find out until she registered the IMEI of my phone on the new card. All the CSRs had a mid store meeting to consult about the IMEI issue. Then she went to the back. 5 minutes later she came back out, we restarted my S4 GE and Viola. She had to substitute the last 4 of another IMEI. Just be persistent and remember what everyone here has had to go through. Best of luck to all.
    07-18-2013 09:29 PM
    I received my GE S4 yesterday and was able to get it set up and using LTE. My previous phone was an unlocked international Galaxy Note N7000 (so no LTE), and I had been using the same SIM for a few years. I bought a Galaxy S4 Active in order to sell it to partially fund the purchase of the GE S4, and AT&T sent a new micro SIM along with the new phone. I had to select a new LTE-compatible data plan during the checkout process. I used the new SIM in the GE S4, and did the online activation of the new SIM in the GE S4, using the correct IMEI number of the GE S4. The activation completed, I rebooted the phone, and it showed the LTE symbol next to the signal indicator and the mobile network type in the status section showed LTE:13. I didn't need to add or edit the APN info as it was already there. I ran a speed test and got 14 down and 6 up, which were much faster than my data speeds using the unlocked Note. And I'm in a fringe reception area for LTE. I was nervous that I would have issues given that I didn't have an existing LTE data plan, but so far everything seems good.

I'm loving this phone so far. It's so fast and responsive compared to the Note, and the screen is plenty big. I don't really understand the complaints from the reviewers (about the S4 in general, not just the GE S4) about the quality of materials. The phone has a nice weight to it and feels very solid. The back is a little slippery, but it feels like a premium device.
    07-19-2013 02:07 PM
    I just got my S4 GPE yesterday and activated new service on AT&T at our local corporate store. They had no problem putting me on LTE which I verified once I got home. I came from VZW so I had no previous sim card and the only thing I did to the S4 before I went and activated it was charge it and add my google account to it. This is an INCREDIBLE phone.
    07-23-2013 09:21 AM
    Received my GE S4 today! As I expected, I popped my SIM from my S4 to the GE S4 and LTE lit up immediately. It is now charging, and I will finish setting it up once it is charged! I put a screen protector on it and inserted a 64 GB micro sd card.

It was nice to have vanilla android again with no bloat from AT&T or Samsung and only Google apps on the phone! More feedback to follow!
    SamuriHL and fulleraj like this.
    07-24-2013 06:55 PM
    So let me make sure I have this correct. I had a Galaxy S3 through AT&T, if I then purchase the GES4, and just put the sim in from my S3, I won't have to worry about any of these LTE issues? Thanks in advance. Just wanted to make sure I had this right.
    08-01-2013 10:49 AM
    Yup. That about covers it. I just activated my S4 GPE on AT&T as a brand new account and it came up as LTE so I'd say they got this issue fixed.
    08-01-2013 11:04 AM
    how do you guys do speed tests on mobile?

glad to hear OP got his LTE working. FWIW, my girlfriend with the stock S4 had this issue for a little - I think a couple of phone resets kinda jump started it.
    08-01-2013 02:46 PM
    There's a speedtest.net app in the play store.
    08-01-2013 02:53 PM
    I received my S4G at 5 pm last night and I started reading this thread and feared the worst.

Fortunately I woke up to see an email and SMS msg from at&t telling me to call them about getting 4G lte for my 4g LTE device. I called 611, went to technical support and it took 5 minutes to switch to 4g LTE unlimited data from my iPhone 4s unlimited data plan. Maybe I got lucky. If you are having problems ask for Erica from the Phillipines because she killed it.
    Getting ATT visual voice mail has been a bit tougher and I'm still working that out.

Here is the email:

Dear Valued Customer,

We hope you are enjoying your LTE device!

We value your business and want to ensure you're set up with the right data plan for your LTE device. If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your 3G or HSPA+ device into your LTE device, your data service may not work properly. Please call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team can help you establish service with an AT&T LTE Data Plan.

Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call.

Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

Sincerely,

AT&T
    And the SMS said: "AT&T Free Msg: Did you know an eligible data plan is required for your LTE device? Please call 611 to select a plan and establish your LTE data connection today."
    08-22-2013 10:52 AM
60 123