James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got my S4GPE today. Went and got a new sim and activated it with AT&T. However, I am not receiving LTE coverage (HSPA+:15) and I know this is an LTE area (I was getting LTE on my iPhone 5). Does anyone know how to enable my LTE? Or why I would not be getting LTE coverage?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got my S4GPE today. Went and got a new sim and activated it with AT&T. However, I am not receiving LTE coverage (HSPA+:15) and I know this is an LTE area (I was getting LTE on my iPhone 5). Does anyone know how to enable my LTE? Or why I would not be getting LTE coverage?

This was common with the Nexus 4 also. You are probably getting it when your phone is downloading data. Did you do a speed test? You can also view status while downloading something and it should show it then. Setting, About device, Status, Mobile Network type. My Network type on my S4 says LTE:14

Did you input the APN? I have posted it below for you if you need it. Give us some other thoughts on the phone?

Name: ATT Phone
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port : Not set
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Last edited:

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Having a very similar problem-- I can send texts and make calls, but I can't send MMS texts, and I have "No Internet Connection" displayed if turn off Wifi. Network Type shows LTE:10, thought.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Having a very similar problem-- I can send texts and make calls, but I can't send MMS texts, and I have "No Internet Connection" displayed if turn off Wifi. Network Type shows LTE:10, thought.

Maybe try turning on airplane mode and turning it off to see if that jumpstarts your mobile data.

James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The problem is exactly what I thought it was. The IMEI number indicates to AT&T that it is a 4G phone not LTE. The folks at the AT&T store had no idea what I was talking about, I was finally able to get one of them to pull up the account so I could see it and once I saw the problem they gave me tech supports number (18003310500 which is the same as customer service). Once I got ahold of them they were able to fix it in the system very quick. I had to call AT&T tech support to have them recode it as an LTE device. I now have LTE working. I hope this helps others.

This is an amazing phone. Paying the extra $450 was worth it in my opinion. It is a improvement over the iPhone 5 (so tired of iOS, yes even iOS 7) and the Nexus 4 (it has LTE, larger screen, better camera).

James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This was common with the Nexus 4 also. You are probably getting it when your phone is downloading data. Did you do a speed test? You can also view status while downloading something and it should show it then. Setting, About device, Status, Mobile Network type. My Network type on my S4 says LTE:14

Did you input the APN? I have posted it below for you if you need it. Give us some other thoughts on the phone?

Name: ATT Phone
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port : Not set
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 300
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Thanks for the suggestion. Before posting on here I checked the APN settings. The IMEI number was misregistering it on their network. Have it working now.

The phone is amazing. Great hardware, "pure" Google. No bloat, fast response, love it. Highly recommend it to anyone that can afford to put up the $650 to buy it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Where you on an lte phone previously? I should be able to pop my current S4 SIM into the GE S4 and it should work right?

Or will all of these devices show up as a HSPA+ device. Most of the reviews mentioned LTE was working out of the box.

Posted via Android Central App

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, 30 minutes later with customer service, and I'm still stuck-- the SIM will send picture messages in my old phone, but I only get a 3G network instead of the HPSA network I used to get, and in the S4, I get nothing, even after trying to set up a different APN with them.

I sense a visit to a real AT&T store in my future :(

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The problem is exactly what I thought it was. The IMEI number indicates to AT&T that it is a 4G phone not LTE. The folks at the AT&T store had no idea what I was talking about, I was finally able to get one of them to pull up the account so I could see it and once I saw the problem they gave me tech supports number (18003310500 which is the same as customer service). Once I got ahold of them they were able to fix it in the system very quick. I had to call AT&T tech support to have them recode it as an LTE device. I now have LTE working. I hope this helps others.

This is an amazing phone. Paying the extra $450 was worth it in my opinion. It is a improvement over the iPhone 5 (so tired of iOS, yes even iOS 7) and the Nexus 4 (it has LTE, larger screen, better camera).

How can you be sick of iOS 7 of you haven't even used it?don't understand your logic sorry.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
No LTE issues on mine either and I'm using a nano sim. Recently had my sim in an iPhone and HTC one.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, 30 minutes later with customer service, and I'm still stuck-- the SIM will send picture messages in my old phone, but I only get a 3G network instead of the HPSA network I used to get, and in the S4, I get nothing, even after trying to set up a different APN with them.

I sense a visit to a real AT&T store in my future :(

Good luck with that. I spent 45 minutes in a real AT&T store and I kept telling them what the problem was (IMEI wasn't registered as a LTE device) and finally they checked and I was right so they had me call tech support. Maybe your AT&T store will be more helpful then mine was.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No LTE issues here either... the letters came up lickety-split. I am on AIO Wireless in the Prescott AZ area. I was previously using a Nexus 4 on the same carrier. Just popped the SIM into the S4Ge and was off to the races, trouble-free. I have yet to test MMS, however, so will post if I encounter issues there. Thus far I am very pleased with the purchase. I can already tell battery life is improved over the Nexus, which makes sense given its a 2600 vs. a 2100 mAh (I think?). At any rate, good luck to all and enjoy your new devices. Three cheers for pure Android :)

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, the store got it working, but they cheated-- the guy replaced my serial number in the system with the number of a demo mode +1l, at which point the network suddenly decided that my S4 was in fact an S4. No clue what's going to happen when that actual phone gets activated.

Supposed to get a tier two call tomorrow, hopefully they can set everything right for real. I still need to see if I get LTE or not, it looks like it's not up yet in my neck of Los Angeles.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Its not an improvement in fact I think its a downgrade besides the big screen nothing like the iPhone 5 I came from iPhone 5 to gs4 and am hating android not Samsung but android so many things it cant do

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I originally had an LTE AT&T phone. Today, I swapped that sim to my S4 GPE, and LTE showed up with no issues.

I also just swap my SIM and have not had any issues. I've had the same SIM since LTE came out. I even cut it down once they went to micro SIM.