T-Mobile LTE with S4 GE

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am actually interested in this phone because of the potential of tmobile LTE.

It seems to penetrate a bit better than hspa+.

Has anyone noticed this on the Google edition s4?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

snowdogging

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tmobile LTE

I am not getting lte on t-mobile anywhere in manhattan. Talked to tech support for an hour at a t-mobile store with no luck. Have a ticket into engineering to see if they can fix the problem.

Will update if the situation changes but this could be an easy phone to return at this point.

Anyone else on t-mobile getting lte?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't have LTE on my Galaxy S4, since it's the international variant with the octacore Exynos but my HTC One from T-Mobile gets LTE within Houston only. Once I go farther out, it switches back to 3G. (I'm pretty skeptical whether this phone can actually use T-Mobile's HSPA+ as it has great reception in most areas still lacking LTE.)

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't have LTE on my Galaxy S4, since it's the international variant with the octacore Exynos but my HTC One from T-Mobile gets LTE within Houston only. Once I go farther out, it switches back to 3G. (I'm pretty skeptical whether this phone can actually use T-Mobile's HSPA+ as it has great reception in most areas still lacking LTE.)

I think they are talking about the GE s4......

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

You are using the Google edition S4 right?

This is concerning.

How is the AWS band? working ok?

thanks

snowdogging

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for re-railing the thread matt.

Yes I have a google edition S4 arrive and activated yesterday. As I said LTE (AWS) is not working on the phone. I am only getting hspa and at a pitiful 380k.

Engineering has done something because now I can't connect at all and registering on the network fails.

Anyone else using this on t-mobile $30 plan?

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

FWIW, a few of us had a similar issue with AT&T-- what it seems to boil down to is that the system doesn't recognize that your device is capable of doing LTE. They've had to basically lie to their system and say that the phone was an AT&T phone, not a Google phone, at which point things magically work.

If you can con them into it, have them set your phone up with the serial/ IMEI of one of their S4s and see if it works.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the GE S4 today and wondered about this also. When I had the Touchwiz version, LTE was just coming on in my city and it worked well were I could get it.

jtshaw

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using T-mobile LTE in Seattle with the GPE S4. Comparing this to my Nexus 4, I have fewer problems with general connectivity, the network speeds are WAY faster (as expected), and the battery life is way better so far as well.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
In terms of building penetration, are you seeing a difference?

Essentially, are there any dead spots that are no longer dead?

I'm using T-mobile LTE in Seattle with the GPE S4. Comparing this to my Nexus 4, I have fewer problems with general connectivity, the network speeds are WAY faster (as expected), and the battery life is way better so far as well.

shanesaccount

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I am actually interested in this phone because of the potential of tmobile LTE.

It seems to penetrate a bit better than hspa+.

Has anyone noticed this on the Google edition s4?

I've got the S4GE on Tmobile, and I've got great penetration into my condo, which is otherwise a steel trap. (In Los Angeles). 1-2 Bars, with speets of 14Mbps Down and 4.2Mbps Up.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I've got the S4GE on Tmobile, and I've got great penetration into my condo, which is otherwise a steel trap. (In Los Angeles). 1-2 Bars, with speets of 14Mbps Down and 4.2Mbps Up.

Have you had hspa or hspa+ in the same condo? If so, do you have better penetration with LTE?

shanesaccount

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have. Penetrating seems to be pretty equivalent between the two. But the LTE is faster. Truth told I typically just turn on WiFi.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

irishrally

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile LTE is working great on my GES4 in Dublin, California.
Screenshot_2013-07-16-07-11-32.png

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile LTE all over NYC, tested in 4 boroughs.
Signal is solid, T-Mobile is live with 5Mhz FDD LTE in NYC, maxing at about 35Mbps.

0TLsi0Eh.png

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I got mine.

My signal is live in every place I have been in nyc.

I am working on determining if the penetration is any better.

Highest I've gotten so far is 30mbs down.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes